I'm glad you got through the day.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good job, dis. I think you're gonna do this thing. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Discombobulated View Post
Thank you all of you ~ My boys are tucked up in bed and I am also going to bed now SOBER!

I wish you all a very sober, happy and healthy night and pray that you will all be here tomorrow.

ps. It is 10.50 pm in the UK

nite nite we will!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Sasha4,

I appreciate your response.

I like your line about having slipped into a pattern of drinking every night, thank you, I think this would work for me.

I also like your philosophy of just quietly working away, one day at a time, not labelling etc.
And no! I don't want to go back to drinking!
Thanks again!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Your welcome.

I think it is natural to wonder what people will say or think.

In my experience, some people are genuinely interested though and will question you more.
I think these people really do have concerns or sadness over their drinking and probably do the bottle of white wine every night too.

I've been told 'well good for you', and 'I wish I could do that' and loads of questions like 'do you miss it?', 'how did you feel after a few weeks without a drink?' and 'how do you sleep?' and 'what do you do instead?'.

And I'm just honest when I answer them.
I don't really miss it to be honest. I sleep a thousand times better. I felt great at the start. Sober mornings rock, but now its just a normal feeling for me.
I do tons of things instead. I exercise, organise my home, read, spend time here, cook for the freezer, do gardening, I might start an evening class. I have long baths, a beauty routine!

People are sometimes quite in awe that you have managed it. In the UK we had a dry January campaign. I had loads of people saying 'wow, how have you done this for a year?'

To be honest it is not difficult, its just different.
A different way of spending your evenings.
At least it was for me.

I also say that I hate how every occasion seems to have to be celebrated with a drink.
A wedding, a graduation, a new baby, a first birthday, a death.
How have we got to a place where it is the norm to have massive amounts of booze, blackout, act badly, regret what we say at these events?

I remember going to a first birthday party full of adults drinking heavily.
The mother did not get out of bed for 3 days after she was so drunk then hungover.

Maybe I am on my own with this, but I don't think that is very good really.

I would never ever go back now!

My best to you
x
Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Congrats.....good luck to you. Believe it or not, it does get easier as time goes on.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
What is Sober?

As I went to bed yesterday without a drink all day and haven't had a drink all day, can I call this day one. I believe I can.

I couldn't get to sleep last night and when I eventually did I woke at 2am with my 6yr old in bed with me asking why I was wet, by the time I had got him back to bed, changed the covers and had a strip wash it was 5am and I really couldn't back to sleep, I starred that last drink in the eye while I downed a glass of water.

My head has been thumping all day, paracetamol doesn't touch it, I am so tired, I feel very disorientated, weirdly drunk! ! And still this weird smell, I can only think that this is 20yrs of booze seeping out of me.

I have kept busy all day, took the boys out, but had to stop every five minutes to rest, managed an hour at work and all the time looking forward to that last drink sitting on the side. Got home about an hour ago looked that last drink in the eye and put the kettle on !

My boys have had their tea, that is when I would usually start drinking, while cooking, the second while they were eating . . . . and on. But not tonight.

Tonight my only challenge is to leave that last drink still sitting on the side, as I know it will be there tomorrow if I need it.

It is amazing that however dreadful I feel physically, my mind is stronger than it has ever been, I have promised my self so many times that I would stop and never have, but this time I have, at least for 24hrs and that is longer than any of my promises have lasted before, that means I can do it, I know I can, I believe I can, for at least another 24hrs.