Notices

Sober/accountability buddies?

Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober/accountability buddies?

Hello! I thought I would start a thread here in the newbie section for people who would like an online accountability buddy - all to take place here at SR. I feel that I would really benefit from someone who is going through the same things as me, someone I could check in with and also help out with their struggles. Here is what I am in search of for a sobriety buddy:

Female
Mother
Aged 32-47ish
Newly sober
Using AVRT or non 12-step a plus

Thanks! Please post your own ISO traits below.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi...an accountability thread is a good idea. I'm game.

Not sure what ISO traits are....still getting the hang of the board lingo.

That being said...I am 42, sober for 15 days, married with 1 young daughter.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ISO = In search of...

I could be your accountability buddy if you like. I am 38 married with two kids. Feel utterly ashamed of myself. I relapsed yesterday after 3 weeks sober. I want to stay sober for good.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

The good thing about SR tho is there's about 100, 000 sober buddies here - and at all points of the journey too - I think all those different perspectives are important.

I recommend, whatever else you do, everyone should check out a monthly thread like the current May thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2013-a-18.html

D
Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay sounds good. I always liked to drink, but it didn't start becoming a problem until after my daughter was born. We lost 3 babies before her, and I was terrified my whole pregnancy, then after she was born perfect and healthy, I became even more terrified of something happening to her.

I started drinking daily...6 years ago, but not overly much each day...2-3 glasses of wine. Anyway...slowly but surely it progressed, and eventually I was drinking a little in the morning before work, then more after work. I started moving more to liquor the past six months...wine took too long to "relax" me.

Anyway....we can check in with each other and maybe that will help.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have a similar issue it crept up on me. I just started drinking heavily over the last year. I started homeschooling a particularly stressful and precocious child who is very sensitive and overreacts to every thing. What is hard is getting over the guilt. I am supposed to be a responsible parent.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have the guilt too. I never got drunk in front of my daughter, but I always had a glass stashed somewhere. I used to tell myself that my drinking didn't get in the way, but it did. There were times I could have taken her places on the weekends, but I didn't want to drink and drive, and chances are...by lunch time I would have had 3 stinks already.

I need to stay sober, for my health, and I just want to be the mom she deserves.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The good thing about SR tho is there's about 100, 000 sober buddies here - and at all points of the journey too - I think all those different perspectives are important.

I recommend, whatever else you do, everyone should check out a monthly thread like the current May thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2013-a-18.html

D
I like that quote! Great for life in general and how to overall succeed in a lot of ways.
I like the Winston C one too...
"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
I think not giving up hope and knowing you can succeed most of the time if you keep trying is important in many parts of life, and I'm sure can be applicable to us on here too
Old 10-10-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like this idea; I fit your profile!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The original post here is over a year old guys

D
Old 10-10-2014, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow...what a flash! Kind of cool how this thread got bumped up after almost 1 1/2 years....I was only 15 days sober when I was posting in this, and here I am just having passed the 17 month mark...oh how my life has changed!

For the better of course!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Dolly that's so cool that you have so much time! I have four months and it kinda feels like an eternity! My life has changed a lot already but I still miss drinking at times ? What is it like for you now? I'm 36 mother of two boys ages 4 and 7. Wasn't a really heavy drinker but it started to increase and it became the number ine thing I looked forward to.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Hereandnow...my life is completely different now. Although once in a while a fleeting sense of "wouldn't it be nice if I could have a glass of wine" pops into my head...it's so rare, and never lasts longer than a few seconds. Just long enough to take note how my life is so much better now, that I am able to shake it off.

It wasn't always easy, but I remember after I passed 6 months, I noticed things had gotten easier in my sobriety...no way I am going back to that life of chaos!

Congrats on 4 months...just keep at it...soon you won't notice the time as much, because your new sober life will become the norm:-)
Old 10-12-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dolly you give me a lot if hope! U still have this annoying thought that certain events would be more fun if I was drinking. When these events occur I have a great time and don't suffer all of the negative consequences that u would have when drinking. Thanks for the inspiration.