Notices

Alcohol, its what I know.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol, its what I know.

Hello, my name is Keegan and I'm posting here because I want to stop drinking. I've been trying for a while now, along with my wife, but I've come to the conclusion I can't do it alone. Every time I try to stop I go back to it and wake up the next day stressed out. I'm tired of throwing money away, feeling awful, and passing up my family just to go out and have one drink, that always turns into countless more.

I'm angry, disappointed, and sad that I have let myself get this way. I went from have a drink to enjoy it to drinking to get rid of stress to drinking just because alcohol has been such a huge part of my life. I definitely take responsibility for pushing it this far, and now I want to take responsibility to get to a better place. I don't drink everyday, but I know that alcohol is taking control of my life more and more each day because I am letting it. Today it stops and I'm feeling great about it. I know motivation and positive momentum can be hard to keep, I hope finding a home here will help me to keep the pace.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Keegan, welcome to SR. I am now two years sober after years of drinking, and years of struggling to moderate/quit. I am now free of the torment and struggle, that was part of my life for so long. I am more relaxed, get more done and enjoying life.

I learnt a bit about SMART, and AVRT. Nothing really stuck for very long. One day i just stopped fighting, i accepted the futility of it all, and decided to take what comes. I then read the BIg book and joined SR.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Keegan you have come to the right place Take some time to read about others that are here under similar circumstances. You are not alone by any means and you have taken the first step towards a better life. Join the 24 hour club and sign up daily you will be surprised how quickly the sober days add up Keep posting your progress. I find that it helps alot. If both you and your wife are looking at giving up drinking that will make it so much easier. Sending good vibes to you and your wife
Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice. My wife is definitely wanting the same thing and she will be signing up on the boards soon. It does seem like a fight everyday. I'll check out the 24 hr club and SMART. Thanks again and appreciate the vibes.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad that you have made the decision to stop drinking and to live a sober life. There is lots of support here and inspiration, too.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Keegan!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Keegan, you will find lots of support on SR!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
I've come to the conclusion I can't do it alone
I think this is a very important conclusion! You've thought it through seriously and now you know this about yourself. The great thing is you don't have to do it alone.

Hang in there. Keep posting.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, Keegan. I hope you'll find the support you need by being with us. SR helped me get sober after I drank for 30 yrs.

I never dreamed I could live without alcohol in my life. I don't know why, because in the end it was no longer fun or an escape. I was completely dependent on it, and it was destroying me. You've made a wise decision that you'll never regret - we're very glad to have you here.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Old 05-16-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've come to the conclusion I can't do it alone.

Admitting this is a big step.

Maybe another way to put it, is that you are powerless over alcohol. Once you have the first drink . . .

It took me a couple of decades to admit that myself. Once I finally gave up, this web site, along with AA helped me to get and stay sober.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Keegan. I have been sober 10 months. Over that time I have used some AA, participated in online support groups, read AVRT, gone to addiction counseling, and spent 24 days in an in-patient facility. The whole nine yards! The variety of experiences has been really helpful, there are so many great ideas out there to pick and chose from. I hog all the good parts from each program and create my own "Recovery Stew" that works for me. There are a million ways to get sober, but they all start the same way - by putting down the drink. Good luck and welcome.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Keegan. I am one and a half years sober after 35 years of drinking. SR and AA have saved me. I post and read here daily. The support is wonderful. You can do this. And with your wife on board too, that will help. my husband still drinks often and it has caused some issues that I have learned to deal with. Nice to have you here,
Old 05-16-2013, 07:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Time Lord

Glad to have you join us here. Great group of people here!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Keegan

D
Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone for making me feel welcome. This has already helped me and I on Day 3 and about to commit to 24 more hours.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You can do it, Keegan.