Notices

New here... help?

Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here... help?

Hi all, after lurking here for months now, I've finally decided to join the fun.

I just went on yet another binge last night, this after swearing off booze just 3 days ago after THAT binge. Not to mention I've sworn off booze a bazillion times before. I went to see one of my favorite musicians last night at a local club, really though it just a good excuse to drink again.

Don't. Remember. A. Thing...

How fun right?!

I want to stop! I'm young, have a good job, and still have the opportunity to turn things around. However I run the risk of losing it all every time I drink. I've been lucky enough to have avoided any legal consequences up to this point, but I KNOW my luck is soon to run out if I keep pushing it.

I miss who I used to be before I started all this, It's only been 3 years, but it feels like I've lived and died 1000 times over dealing with this vicious cycle of shame, guilt, and sickness.

This is the first time I've ever reached out in any way. I'm tearing up as I type this, I suppose because reaching out finally sort of makes it real.

I don't want to hide this anymore, I need help.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((Woozy)) - Welcome to SR!! I lurked here, for a long time, then finally logged on. Best thing I ever did, as we're like a big family here..full of people who "get" what we're going through.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Amy! Your reply means more than you know.

I plan on posting here and being present for a while, so I appreciate the warm welcome.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((Woozy)) - I read around, all OVER this site, and there are a lot of good forums and threads. You may want to check out some of them in the newcomer's thread..I'm pretty sure there's one for 30 days and under, there should be one for people just starting out this month (there's a new thread for every month). There is also always a "weekend thread" that usually starts on Fri.

My DOC (drug of choice) was crack, but I have learned so much from people, no matter what their DOC was. We all have the same problem..some substance is ruining our lives and we need to quit it. That's when it helps to have a few thousand cheerleaders from all over the world cheering you on

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was certainly frightened to admit that I have a problem. After I let it out, I felt relief. I knew that my admittance, and seeking out help would benefit my life greatly. I needed people that understood. You can turn all of this around. One day at a time. We are all here for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Quitting is not easy. I had many blackouts when I was drinking. How can it be any fun if we can't remember much in order to reminisce about the fun? Also, we don't realize how we can do something dangerous during our blackout and never remember doin it. I totaled my car into a tree when I was blacked out, and so I am thankful that it wasn't another person that I could have murdered and not remembered one second of it. Quitting gets easier over time and something you get used to. You'll start to feel amazing and happier, trust me.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just like Woozy, I too have been lurking around all of the post and forums!! LOL...glad I decided to join!! I have decided that it is PAST TIME to get off opiates! Been taking them about 12 years after a spinal fusion surgery. Over the past 2-3 years have had to take more and more just to feel "normal"...And like most people, I am scared to death of this process! I am a nurse so I KNOW how bad this can get!! My husband of 22 years is actually in rehab right now trying to get off all his meds...he got VERY sick a few years back and had some major surgeries and almost died and has had to live with pain every day too. It's time for us both to have our lives back for us and our kids! I'm only 2 days into this process so I'm not sure what forum I need to be in...But I look forward to any and ALL advice!!! Thanks!!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm overwhelmed with the replies.

Thank you all for responding and sharing.

@soberhappyhour, No, blackouts are certainly no fun. I shudder to think about the things I have done or could do during a blackout. I've blacked out countless times, and with recent drinking sessions, I hadn't drank enough if I wasn't gone.

@mizzuno, thank you thank you thank you... really