Notices

for the people who quit drinking on their own

Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Deeker..
I was told that the only thing Bill W. would have changed in the Big Book is the word "rarely" to "never".
How cool is THAT!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'm at almost 10 months and didn't use a formal program. However, I read a lot, and spend a lot of time on SR. I also tried moderation many times unsuccessfully. This time I was sick of alcohol stealing my life and my time so I was more ready. I don't think I'd be doing as well without all the support and tools I learned on SR. I've found urge surfing and AVRT basics very helpful. While some people think I did this "on my own" (ie without AA) it definitely would be very hard to do solo in my opinion.

If you find something that works for you, keep at it
Old 05-12-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I think that almost everyone, to some extent, quits "on their own." Very few, even of those with an AA sponsor, have someone to grab a drink out of our hands and keep us from drinking.

I spent a week in a detox facility, but it was "social detox" so I could leave at any time. The decision to stay, and the decision to not drink, was made on my own.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Determination

That is the #1 thing that has kept me sober for almost 10 months and off weed for over 4 months. There are many facets to what determination means to each individual but for me I just realized that the path I was on lead absolutely nowhere. It was a circle littered with broken promises (to myself, mostly), lost time, bad behavior, lost morals, wasted money and a lot of PAIN!

I have to say that w/o the good folks here at SR, I never could have done this.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terry77 View Post
Everything I've read states that *most* alcoholics can't quit without help...so for the ones that don't have help, how do they do it?
Some of my research has shown that a lot of people dabble in recovery programs, then ultimately do quit on their own. For my own part, I've only been off the booze for seven months, so I'm also no expert. But what has worked for me is AVRT. You can Google it since we're not allowed to link to it here. There's an animation/slide-show-type deal that takes about 15 minutes to go thru. I can honestly tell you that was enough for me to completely quit. And I had no real cravings, no withdrawals, nothing.

That said, if you drink a lot you should consult a doc since cold-turkey self detox can be dangerous. I was drinking three bottles of wine per day, every 7/365 when I quit. I probably shouldn't have gone cold turkey but I was fine.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Let me add one thing; for me it was the end result of an intellectual examination of my life. I love drinking, more than I can even describe! But only while I'm drinking. The rest of the time I can see that booze made my life a living hell. I'm so much happier and healthier now.

For me the key was truly accepting that I simply can't drink at all. Not "just a few" or just before my day off. Not just when I'm out of town. Not just to "take the edge off" after a bad day. For me there were always two modes of drinking: none or balls-to-the-wall. Once I start I will drink til everything is gone or I'm unconscious. I can't stop once I start. But I can decide not to start. That' a crucial distinction to understand.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

My help was a formal and well thought out decision to my "higher self," if that makes sense. I decided that I wasn't going to live at my lowest level anymore, but instead appreciate how fortunate my life is and and in moving forward to strive to live at my highest level. For me that means never touching a drop again. The other help is definitely this wonderful SR forum. It's been my rock. I'm at 104 days and feeling very good and solid in my sobriety. This works very well for me.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have had help from SR, the on line meetings here and a good friend who has been sober for 30 years. I also write about my sobriety journey and share more intimately with people I trust. For me the face to face meetings were one more thing I would have to deal with in a busy schedule. With the online meetings here, I face no pressure to attend and get no flack if I miss one.

A big point for me was this was something I had to do for me by me.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

SR is my biggest support...it helps me daily to connect and view many different types of problems and to also see things from the family perspective.
I know what works for me and what i dislike about certain methods.
My biggest tool is being grateful for something every single day...and to live my life as a non-drinker....
Being a nondrinker sounds so normal i have to pinch myself at discovering this...lol
Its so simple, i have to chuckle at myself..because i over thought and made such a big deal out of booze for so long.....
Old 05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
now's the time

- SR reminds me that this is a big thing that I should take seriously; it also holds me accountable.
- Yoga puts me back in touch with my body, teaches me impulse control, and invests me in growing stronger.
- I've started seeing a counselor to work through some of my underlying issues.
- Each thing that I do sober and without a hangover really fortifies me. It's hard sometimes, but as time goes on the rewards of being sober become so much clearer. In the beginning I was suffering for a theory (if I get sober life might be better) but each week it gets easier because now I'm not suffering, and the reward is very tangible. I'm making a choice to have a way better life.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Me ! Read the Jason vales book , read the rational recovery book. Realise it's just an addiction and stop. This forum and the peeps on here have helped me immensely one must say.