Notices

I'm new to seeking support

Old 05-11-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new to seeking support

Good morning all, I'm new to seeking support to not drink. I have quit drinking several times on my own and then started again after convincing myself I really did not have a problem. The latest attempt was in January. I stopped drinking for 50 days and then after an amazing day at work convinced myself that I could go back and only have 1 glass of wine. This lasted a week and then I was back to an entire bottle of wine. I have learned the hard way that red wine is my enemy and I really need a place to go for consistent support to avoid the temptation for just 1 drink that is never enough.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Good for you in recognizing there is a problem. Alcohol in any form is the problem for us. The answer is to not pick up the FIRST drink, no matter what. There is what I call a shite fairy in our head with all kinds of messages telling us it's ok today to drink. That fairy is what brings so many of us into relapsing. This forum has helped many along with AA. BE WELL
Old 05-11-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you are here. This is a great place for support.

I am the same way. The first drink is the one that got me drunk or in my case the first one to get me chasing the drunk.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Your drinking behavior sounds very similar to mine. I was just as likely to drink to celebrate a good day as to drown my sorrows. Today is my 11th day sober. This is the first time that I have committed myself to the idea of never drinking again at all rather than just cutting back. This forum is a great resource. People here care. Keep posting and good luck.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

life is like a path and then sometimes the path leads to what looks like a very big mountain - you're already tired from all the walking and realise you need a hand to climb the mountain and so although your pride says at first you can do it alone when you finally ask for help up the mountain you go and the view is just breathtaking! Happy climbing Tess and take stops to appreciate the view!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome
Old 05-11-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Hi Tess, welcome to SR. You've got the right idea. Read , you will see there are many just like you. Me for one. Not alcohol but crack cocaine. Twenty five + years an addict. I found SR and am doing better. Post as often as you like , join in a thread or start your own. Join the class of May 2013 and the 24 hour club where you can join an ongoing conversation. OK. Let's be sober today
Old 05-11-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Some times it was the great sunny days that I was feeling on top of the world that my insanity came back and I thought It wasn't that bad and I could drink normally once again...insanity...

Though relapse is not by any means an answer or "alright" it can be a learning tool.

No need for shame or guilt nor beat oneself up...

Today is just as good for sobriety as any other day...

Best to you
Old 05-11-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Like you, I find that I can't stop at just one, two, or three. (I mean, I'd want at least 3, whats the point of alcohol if you can't catch a little buzz right?) . Trouble is, I could never stop at just a little buzz. It almost always ended up as flat out major drunk.

There are many of us just like you. You've found a safe place..
Old 05-11-2013, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I could always quit for one reason or another but I couldn't stay quit.

The only thing that I found that treated my alcoholism was commitment to Alcoholics Anonymous.

It's worked for me for nearly 24 yrs. It might just be what you are looking for.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-11-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Newlife4tess

D
Old 05-11-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Newlife4tess, to SR, good place to hang for support.