Notices

Introducing myself.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Introducing myself.

Hello. I stumbled across this website by accident. I'm hungover, in bed, and in a few hours my in laws will be arriving for a BBQ. It was my best friends birthday yesterday and we spent the night in a cocktail bar. The night before last I drank two bottles of wine and got aggro with my husband, the night before that I drank again. I manage to go w/out alcohol during the week but come the weekend I indulge. I hold down a management position, an organised home with two young children, I go to the gym & do running... And I'm also in a position of responsibility within my local community.

I have a love hate relationship with alcohol. And I've decided that I need to quit it as its ruining my life. I read a few posts on here and thought "that's me" it was only then I realised.... I do have a problem.

I've lots of stuff I can bring to the table and I hope tobe as supportive and helpful as the rest of you guys.

Love and light,
Xxx
Old 05-06-2013, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Welcome to SR, Livelife!

That's a great and supportive place!

Best wishes to you on sobriety journey - I loved wine to, but life is much better without it.

Take care, keep posting)
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Making the decision to stop drinking was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

You've come to a very supportive place. Read around and ask questions. We're here to listen and support you in your sober journey.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks midnight blue for the welcome.

I've been ignoring this issue for too long and a bank holiday weekend of drinking has come to a head. Im sick and tired of waking up feeling sick and tired.

Today will be testing as my in laws are here for a BBQ and they are big drinkers and so I will need to be strong!!

Xx
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR livelife. I could have written exactly that a year ago, except the children & husband bit. It was hard for me to objectively look at my life and how crazy it had become.

You'll get a tonne of support here. I'm just coming up to 200 days and my life is so much calmer and happier.

S x
Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks least and sazzle.

It's really helping to have support. I binge drink at weekends and make an arse of myself. My poor husband tells me about my behaviour in the morning my disgrace and shame is overwhelming. Hence my post and my decision to accept i have a problem.

200 days? I've not gone five days!!! Ever!!! But I feel different today. I know how much of a good person I am without the drink... Whereas before I thought I needed the drink to be a better me. If that makes sense :-(

I'm going to give it my best shot xxx
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR livelife

D
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. I joined the site a few months ago, maintained about 3 months clean, and am starting over.

I felt pretty good about where I was over all at about the 3 month mark. There was enough clean time in the bank that I didn't want to lose my investment, so it's disappointing to restart. This has happened a number of times, so I understand how quickly things can unravel and that it can be difficult to get clean (it seems true for me what is true of others I have met: easier to stay sober than to get sober).

When I saw how quickly things were coming apart, I found a little determination. Going down in flames is just no option, so I reeled it in as best I could, made some phone calls to reconnect to some sober people, and can finally say Happy Monday and mean it.

See you around!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't see a class of May yet. Coming soon?
Old 05-06-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi there Livelife1!

I think you will find lots of support here. Have you given much thought about why you drink and why so much once you start? Some find that they can just put the bottle down and move on. Others want or need the more formal structure of a program like AA, SMART, Rational Recovery, Life Ring, etc. I hope you find what is helpful to you.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Livelife1 View Post
Thanks least and sazzle.

It's really helping to have support. I binge drink at weekends and make an arse of myself. My poor husband tells me about my behaviour in the morning my disgrace and shame is overwhelming. Hence my post and my decision to accept i have a problem.

200 days? I've not gone five days!!! Ever!!! But I feel different today. I know how much of a good person I am without the drink... Whereas before I thought I needed the drink to be a better me. If that makes sense :-(

I'm going to give it my best shot xxx
That makes complete sense. I was so worried I would freeze in social situation but I'm a better person without drink. Funnier, more chilled, better conversations and a fantastic memory (!) now. I am still astounded at my progress but its all thanks to the support here.

I've had urges to have 'one' (like I've ever had just one in my life!) but I've never regretted my decision to stay sober in the morning.

Good luck. It is a challenge in the beginning. I fell a few times at day 3, but its so worth persisting.

S x
Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck with that barbecue! I'm in England too and it's a lovely sunny evening so enjoy the food! I too tend to binge drink on the weekends. And you know what? There's a special sober weekend here pretty much every week. Generally it goes up on Friday, sometimes on a Thursday. Well worth joining. You'd be amazed how much fun sober people have at the weekend and how much they get done!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Sober 1 ck , If you feel the need maybe start your own thread. As for starting over, been there done that, more times than I care to remember. Please never give up or feel ashamed , its what most of us have been through. That you are here, posting shows your commitment. Livelife1 , it was no accident you found us. God Bless