Notices

Searching for Advice for boyfriends AA

Old 05-02-2013, 08:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

good yer lookin into it, bexland.
actually, AA doesnt say spirituality alone will solve the problem. theres work on the mental and emotional malady as well. faith without works is dead, so we gotta put in footwork.
as a member of AA, i toroughly believe what the program has taught me and thats that i will never be cured of alcoholism. i only havea daily reprive contingent on the maintenence of my spiritual condition. every day is a day i must do the will of my HP.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Bex, so many thing to say but like anything I try to make simple situations too complex. I learned that in AA!! I think you are great for taking so much time to look into this. Support from people around me really helped me in my early days of sobriety. I do attend AA and have since I got sober 8 months ago. I love it but I also attended AA for 3-4 months before I got sober. So what I am saying is that once I decided I needed help then AA started to work for me. If I am honest with myself I can admit that I am a little weak spiritually. It is an on-going process for me but AA does so much more. It keeps my mind open, I am learning humility, my communication with my wife is better, I am more tolerant, less judgmental, less angry, discuss my fears, etc... My sobriety if the effect of me making the changes in my life I needed to make and AA helped me with that. Good luck to both of you. My wife attends AlAnon once a week and it really helps her with herself.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Sounds like your bf is doing well in his recovery. I'm happy for that. He's lucky to have your support.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Interesting stuff... I am fascinated by the collision of faith and science, but have really nothing to add, as I never understood it too much, even though I have an advanced degree in science and take communion on Sundays, LOL...

I never saw AA as "faith healing".... hmmm
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am also fascinated with this collision. Before I didn't see the science of it and that's why I had reservations, but now I have a better understanding of this and can see how faith (and other things) and science have come together. Before I thought the two were incompatible but maybe we just don't know enough yet about how they can work together.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Cool

"...I have a question about alanon. I mean since I've only been dating him 6 months I don't really feel like I have to "recover" from anything..."

...nothing to recover from..........? Well, you chose him didn't you...........? Just something to think about, anyway......................

(o:
NoelleR