Notices

I think I have it tough????? Buck up Johnny!!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I think I have it tough????? Buck up Johnny!!

I went for my nightly junk food fix at 9. It really helps. I got to the gas station and as usual there was a pan handler out there. My city is rough. I carry a 2 foot Police mag-light in my car for protection. I avoided the panhandler because he caught on to someone else. I was inside holding my ice cream sandwich and Cheeze-Its, and somebody starts tapping me and saying "yo, yo!" Its the panhandler, but he looks gentle. He says "I know you! We were at The Institute together."

Snap! I spent 6 weeks in Outpatient with this kid. Poor guy. A handsome, smart young man. I remember how nice he was in treatment. Polite and kind. A good guy. From the South End, Latino area. Never had a chance. No father, spent mother. In the system as a kid. I think he smokes angel dust. And that outpatient program was terrible. But that's all the help he could get.

He really just needs a chance. He cleans himself up and applies to all kinds of jobs but they won't hire him. Then he relapses. Connecticut is a really rough job market. Even new RN's are having trouble(crazy?!). I feel really bad for him. I could see the pain in his eyes and the eagerness to do better. The only thing I could do was tell him to, 'try The Chrysalis Center(amazing charity, overwhelmed though), and to stay on the straight and narrow, don't go back to jail.' What a shame. What a crying shame. America? Is this the best you can do? He's just another number in the Criminal Justice System. And to all of us, just another druggy asking for money outside a gas station.

I need to get my MSW and help. I'm upset. And I think I have it tough.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:*(

there but for the grace of god go I...
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Makes me sad too, johnny, I'm glad you spent some time talking to him. Sometimes just a kind word works wonders.

Best Wishes To You!