Notices

Anxiety About Not Sleeping Makes Me Drink

Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Im here in UK too.

The strongest thing to sleep you will find over the counter is 1-a-night Nytol.

You'll need your doc to prescribe something stronger.

Tbh, I wouldn't recommend it tho, you'll get sucked into thinking you need them too more than likely.

Im on day 7 today bro. Good luck

Dogg...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lets give the tea a try, it can't hurt can it!

Cheers

Craig
Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks dogg, 7 day , doing well, keep it going.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Like a lot of the previous posters, I had a right evil time falling asleep when I wasn't drinking.
Turns out...like the dolt I am...quitting drinking is the best thing I've ever done. I sleep like the dead.
Some things that helped me early:
Take a brisk walk a couple of hours before bed.
Avoid TV or video games if you're a gamer at least an hour before.
If you find yourself lying about, not falling asleep, get up, move to a different room and read until you feel tired again. (This is important. You're essentially re-wiring your brain to get tired when you lie in bed...it's not used to it as its been going defense mode by passing out).
Night time tea. Cup, or two at night helps.
I think Carl said it: but you're never going to hurt your liver missing out on a bit of sleep.
It's absolute evil when going through, but it DOES go away, and you WILL sleep like you haven't since you were a child.
Eliminate the booze, try to not worry on missing some sleep. Yes, the next day you will be tired, but you won't feel cruddy/hungover from booze. My worst sleepy days were markedly better than my best hangover days. There is simply no comparison.
Make a plan with your Doctor to quit, get a plan in place and go for it.
You've nothing to gain but fantastic, blissful, awesome sleep.
Best!
SB
(I'm only 29 days in, and I was sleeping hard by about 7-8 days...so it's not as bad as it seems!)

Last edited by ScoutBall; 04-29-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to add I'm a beginner sober person.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:44 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks SB. I'm not a gamer so that's not an issue, although I'm not a reader. My wife normally dirnks every day also. So if one of us gives in the other follows. So we've really got to help each other.

I think one of the main things will be dealing with the lack of sleep. I'm not sure if I would be best sleeping in a room on my own for a while.

The plan for tonight is to visit dad in hospital, walk the dog's watch some TV, try to chilll and then bed at arounf 10:30

Cheers

Craig
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It makes sense that new addicts like myself would post on a thread happening at 2:52AM (in Los Angeles, at least). But good luck. Hang in there. I'm on day one myself. It's not easy, but without the sleep you atleast get to look at the clock at midnight and go - hey! Day two is here!

So I guess I'm on day two now.

Sending empathy and wishing you the best.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks mtgbis good luck with day 2, hopefully you feel fresher than normal in the morning!
Old 04-29-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I just got up from a horrible night of sleep and discovered this thread - MAN, what a bunch of great advice! I am on day 2 and feel exhausted b/c of tossing and turning all night. I slept a little, but was up ever hour or two. I tried reading, took a hot shower before bed and even took a sleeping pill, but none of that worked. However, I am hopeful that this will pass and I will get some good sleep soon. I'm not a tea drinker, but willing to give it a shot. Hell, at one point in my life, I was a beer, wine or liquor drinker either, but managed to get on board with the mess - right?!

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yes seems like sleep deprivation a common problem for many of us. I've also developed real tightness in my neck and shoulders and back of my head, I think it's because I'm really up tight and can't relax.

Perhaps a massage would help?

Cheers

Craig