Notices

Anxiety About Not Sleeping Makes Me Drink

Old 04-25-2013, 03:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety About Not Sleeping Makes Me Drink

I've drank about 8 pints of lager and cider each day, and no that I need to reduce this drastically.

I'm OK and can do with out a dirnk until it gets to 8:30 to 9:00 and feel anxcious knowing that I won't sleep as I haven't had a dirnk. So I drink.

I start most days saying that I'm not going to drink that evenning and then I always do.

I've a fatty liver and have done for a few years now. Any advice /tips on how to overcoem anxiety and sleeping issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Craig, and welcome! I think almost all of us have had the issue with sleep and anxiety. I know I certainly have. That was the single worst thing when I first quit and a major impediment to staying stopped.

I know it is going to sound super hard to believe and I felt the same way when someone on this forum told me this: Alcohol is most likely CAUSING the anxiety and it is certainly messing up your sleep cycles. That's the b*tch about booze---it is normally the culprit when we think it's the cure. And it will take a few days or even a week or two to get sorted out again (it took me about a week). HOWEVER! Once the booze is out of your system, you are going to have the most awesome sleep in a very long time. Really and truly. The anxiety will lessen or leave and the racing thoughts that go with it will also recede. And your body will find it's own natural sleep pattern again and you will, finally and truly, SLEEP for the first time in however long---because you are not getting restful sleep at all when you go to bed boozed up.

Again, I know it sounds hard to believe and I didn't either but it is true, I promise. Others will likely be along to say similar. As far as what to do? I am wary of saying much because we're not supposed to give medical advice here but I used Melatonin for awhile. There are other ways too that don't involve herbs or supplements---there will be suggestions coming I am sure.

And don't play with a fatty liver. I had that too and it can get worse really quickly but can be healed if you stop now.

Hope all works out for you but you're going to have to go through a few days of being uncomfortable (and, obviously, sober) to get back to a good sleep pattern but it WILL happen. And it will feel wonderful.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!!
Old 04-25-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Craig

Sleeping problems are common when we give up the booze - it usually takes a week or two for things to sort themselves out.

If thats untenable for you, or you feel very concerned, I recommend seeking a Dr or some other kind of professional help.

Alcohol is not a solution.

I used it for years...not only did I require more and more but I never really slept...I simply passed out...only to wake again around 3am...

See a Dr
D
Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by craigmtc View Post
I've drank about 8 pints of lager and cider each day, and no that I need to reduce this drastically.

I'm OK and can do with out a dirnk until it gets to 8:30 to 9:00 and feel anxcious knowing that I won't sleep as I haven't had a dirnk. So I drink.

I start most days saying that I'm not going to drink that evenning and then I always do.

I've a fatty liver and have done for a few years now. Any advice /tips on how to overcoem anxiety and sleeping issues would be appreciated.

Thanks

Craig
Yeah, you're body/mind is going to do whatever it can to try to get some booze. Unfortunately the booze is most likely causing your anxiety and sleeplessness.
Go see a Doctor if sleeping during recovery is a problem.

Otherwise just tuff it out, it'll get better.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by craigmtc View Post

Thanks

Craig
I could have written this post 6 months ago. I truly believed I needed alcohol to sleep.

I am sleeping much better now that I am sober. It's not perfect every night, but it's a heckuva lot better than when I was drinking.

Best of Luck!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Lack of sleep never hurts someone's liver. Neither does anxiety. But drinking...

Anticipate you'll be anxious and sleep will be difficult and don't hold off on quitting.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hard to see where you are at right now but the lack of sleep will not kill you. It stinks but when I quit I wore my baggy eyes as a badge of courage. Those eyes were baggy and blood shot from years of drinking and now they are like that because I quit. Hang tough and you will get some peace and sleep like a baby again.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had sleep issues for weeks after quitting, although the worst of it died down within the first month. Weird dreams, waking up sweating, all that. Now I usually sleep most of the night, which is a huge benefit of sobriety to me -one of the best parts actually. Stay strong - it will get better.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Craig,

I had horrible insomnia when I first quit booze & pot. My shrink told me bc of my long term heavy use I could experience insomnia for 6 mo to 1 yr. I don't mean to discourage you - I just wanted to share my medical advice. I was given medication - trazadone - a drug for anxiety, depression & insomnia. And I'm happy to say that I did not have to finish the bottle. Within about 6 to 8 weeks my sleeping schedule went back to normal. I would see a Dr because lack of sleep could put you at a risk of relapse.

Peace,
PF
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Buy some "night time" tea. It's not the most appetising but with a spoonful of honey it's ok. It really helped me in the early days to relax. I still drink 2 cups of it in the evening now

Give sobriety a try for a week or 2. If you don't like it you can always go back to the misery that you're obviously suffering at moment.

It can be done mate

Ads
Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to drink to sleep too, but found that when I quit drinking my sleep improved greatly. It took a few weeks but it got better. You can do this.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Go ahead and plan on NOT sleeping and plan on:

posting and reading here
drinking hot decaf tea
reading a book
taking a bath
watching movies

don't get in the bed and freak out about not sleeping. Just do something else relaxing to you. Or lie there and listen to some music.

Alcohol sucks as a sleep tool. Once you have it out of your system for a good month, you will find yourself sleeping better. Working on my recovery helps my peace of mind, which in turn helps me sleep also.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Craig -

I've had insomnia for years - it's what started me using alcohol.

I'm going to second Elisabeth's advice - plan on not sleeping for a week and stock up on your favorite movies you've been meaning to see, books, etc...all the stuff that you'd like to treat yourself too if you had another 10 hours in a day. Seriously, brainstorm a list of your favorites.

Then have a great week of staying up and focusing on the fact that you're having fun & enjoying yourself. Doing this, I actually found that I still felt way better with less sleep than I did with more 'sleep' via alcohol.

For me, not stressing about insomnia, but viewing it as 'extra me time' instead has totally eliminated the anxiety that plagued me for years.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I plan to get geared up to start on Monday. My Dad is also a heavy drinker and is in hospital after suffering a heart attack, which is what's really opened my eyes.

Thanks again.

craig
Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do the herbal remedies fro sleeping help?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Melatonin
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks MusicLanguage. Have you used Melatonin yourself, was it effective?

Thanks

craig
Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Craig,

Try the tea I mentioned or at least some chamomile tea.

They do work for me

Ads
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Melatonin was good for a while, but I eventually built a tolerance to it.
Valerian and Kava had limited effectiveness.
Things that work for me:
Avoid TV an hour before bedtime
Get into bed and read
A fan blowing on me (for both noise and cool air)
Exercise/Physical exertion during the day

If I wake up too early to get up I read some more. I have a Kindle, so I can read without turning on a light.

That first morning you wake up after 6 natural hours of sleep is going to feel SO awesome. So much energy on those days. I love it!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We cannot buy melatonin in the UK.
It is a prescription only drug only available for the over 65 year olds.
So a doctor can only prescribe it for this age group.

Thought I would stop you going on a pointless hunt for it.

I have tried some of the natural remedies and found them okay.
Why not go to Holland and Barrett and ask advice?
Hypnotherapy worked well for me too.
I also swear by a warm milky drink, hot chocolate or horlick's is good.

I also used to kid myself that I could never, ever fall asleep without a drink.

Not true.

I had a bit of insomnia, but now I cannot get enough sleep.
I think it is due to years of passing out drunk and not getting enough normal sleep.
You might be surprised.

My best to you