Notices

hello

Old 05-08-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

hello

Hi,
I used to be a well known (but not famous) model and actress who used to binge drink a few nights a week and stay thin.

8 years later, I live in a different state (of which I hate..not like la or nyc) but have 2 young girls (3 and 6) and am married. I am a housewife.

I was adopted at 4 months of age. I was fortunate enough to find my bio-parents when I was 21 (mother) and 32 (father)...there are alcohlics on both sides. major alcoholics.

I have been binge drinking for about 10 years now. Never during pregnancy though. I have always known that I had a problem and sought help a few times.

The past 6 months have been extremely stressful for me...personal events in my family. So, I have been drinking on a daily basis....for 6 months....either 6-9 beers a day or 2 bottles of wine. I have put on 30 pounds because of this. My husband knows I binge drink and tries to control it. But, he does not know that I do it all day, every day for 6 months.
I need help.
I do not know what to do.
I have no interest in going to meetings.
I need to stop....I need to lose weight...I need to stop lying...I want to be happy....and I want to start applying my stress elsewhere. Someone please tell me how to STOP!
Old 05-08-2004, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Re: hello

lanie
i'm an addict/alkie . name is mack
reachin g out to ask for help is an absolute neccessity . you have done that. hooray!
hang out here. get to know us- especially the women. Take what you want - leave the rest.
it is true- you never HAVE to drink again. you are not alone in this
mackat
Old 05-08-2004, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome!

I'm glad your here, and hear the desperation in your voice. Wow, how to stop? Sweety, you just have to be ready and willing to completly admit your done, your sick of it, it's done controlling you, you deserve happiness, and not fear sobriety.

You've made a huge step by coming here, there is no coincidences I believe when a gift is handed to you. Here, you will find a great group of people who use various methods of recovery. Some use AA, NA, counseling, church, therapy. What I do know, most, not all, but most of us can't do it alone. Once I realized I was not as unique as I thought, not alone in my drinking, (also a binge beer drinker), it made it easier to let go and not have to wear the mask of deception, deceit, and manipulation. See, no one here would let me! We've all got similar stories to varying degrees. The commonality we all have is we're addicts and alcoholics, all doing the best we can to find peace in sobriety.

The rest of the gang will be along shortly to welcome you. In the meantime, get comfy, and scroll and click away. Again, glad you found us.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Lanie I would like to add my welcome to all the others .

my name is Lee, Alcoholic, I drank as you are for 37 years , and I am here to tell you , it DOES get worse . it is the nature of the diseases progression. So congrats on you rdecision to quit , and awesome one !

personally , I chose AA as my method of recovery , but as you can see, there are many avenues .

I would reccomend that you see your doctor m and be very honest with him, detoxing alone without medical supervision can be dangerous .

I wish you well in your recovery , and look forward to getting to kniw you

HUGX
lee
Old 05-08-2004, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi lanie, I'm Dan, one of those addicts my friend Chy told you about. I was a binge type of person with all my poisons, alcohol being one of my favorites. For years, I lived the lie and it caught up with me. Just in time too. There are many ways to stop, and like Chy alluded to, almost all of us need to surround ourselves with others like us, for support and a shared sense of knowing where we've been, and where we need to go. Arriving here is a good thing, for you will find love and understanding at every turn and above all, the place is open 24/7!
So welcome lanietov, grab a chair and relax.
Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lainie,

Welcome to SR. I agree that it's no coincidence you found us at this time in your life. You reached out and we're here to help. It sounds like you want to regain control of your life and to find some peace and happiness. You can stop drinking if that's what you want to do. How you do it is not as important as the fact that do stop. Just take small steps, don't let yourself be overwhelmed. You'll be surprised how much better you feel.

Love, Anna
Old 05-08-2004, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face Re: hello

Welcome Lani , my name is Trish and I am an alcoholic.I too have had my day with desperation and not caring for myself.I am here to tell you 6 months later for me and alot has changed.I wish you success on your desire to stop drinking.Peace and prayers to you... Trish
Old 05-08-2004, 05:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Hello lanietov, Welcome to SR my name is Janet and I am a addict. You will find a lot of support and healing here at SR. I know I sure did. Wishing you the best to a better you.
Old 05-08-2004, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Lanitov, I'm an alcoholic. I tried willpower, didn't work. I tried cutting down...didn't work. I tried drinking only on the weekends....didn't work. I had to finally be honest and ask for help, listen to others, and be willing to do whatever necessary, no matter how uncomfortable. You have taken a good posative step today! I wish you success.
Old 05-08-2004, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
spirit

hi lani,

i am kath in australia and one of them drinking types haha.

welcome - you have come to the right place, we are a good bunch in here.

sounds like you are ready for some help!

read the posts and come back to say hi again

hugs kath
Old 05-09-2004, 12:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Hi Lanie

I'm JC - alcoholic. As the others have said - you have taken a fantastic first step just by admitting that you have a problem. I also agree with Lee about seeing your doctor - I went to see mine and she was great. She pointed me in all the right directions and gave me a good check up.

Hang around here and read the posts - in the other areas too - I learn something new every day and it helps me. Much love and support here - and it works.!! :smlove2:

Much love

JC
Old 05-09-2004, 04:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Lanie, pleased to meet you. Welcome to sober recovery, so happy you've found us, you'll get the best advice, which you already have, good gang here, awesome teachers, you just have to listen.

I tried getting sober by myself for a long time, it doesn't work, well for me it hasn't, I've just recently went to AA meetings, and using the knowledge of SMART, it's helping me. My prob is I live with someone who drinks, I'm not going to use him as an excuse for my drinking anymore, but I have to tell you that part will be so hard for me, but I'm so sick and tired of living this way, it's just NOT LIVING. I hope you find your way here, what ever path you need to take to stay sober do it girl. Don't be like me with so many regrets, my kids are grown now and the guilt sometimes gets to be a bit to much.

Wishing you all the best. By the way I was adopted too, I never met my bio parents, so not sure if they drank or not. I really hope you've found peace in that part of your life, I know how over whelming it can be, to say the least.

Take care of YOU Lanie.

Love and hugs.......Denise
Old 05-10-2004, 12:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi everyone, thank you for such a warm welcome. Today is day 1. I will be back on day 2
Old 05-10-2004, 12:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Excellent

Well done !! Congrats on your 24 !! Keep working/posting/learning/sharing helps me.!! :smlove2:

Much love

JC
Old 05-10-2004, 12:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

awesome lanie, admission and then committing to doing something about it is huge. I'm mike and Im an addict. day 1 is tough but it doesn't have to be, keep your self busy and try not to over think it. forget about what those voices are telling you, i hear em too. what ever you do just don't drink. it will get better, you'll see. welcome, glad your here and wishing you the best!
Old 05-10-2004, 02:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Lanie! Congratulations on day 1! Keep coming back! We're all here for ya!
:35: :35:
Hugs,
Missy
Old 05-10-2004, 02:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

24 hrs! Prayers ^Trish...Peace
Old 05-10-2004, 03:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Paused

so far so good...but I think it's easy today because I have a nasty hangover from yesterday. Tomorrow is going to be the bitch.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Paused

Is it possible for me to be carrying an extra 30 pounds of Bloat? Water? Then I guess it will come off real fast if that is true...I look like a swollen sausage.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

hee hee
reminds me of when i came back to my community after extended away time- rehab etc. People would walk up to me to tell me how good i looked!! One old bud even pulled his pickup off the road to tell me that whatever i was doing, i better keep doing it :i looked so much better. Just one more affirmation that this thing was working for me!
glad you're still with us
mackat