Notices

hello

Old 05-10-2004, 06:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: hello

well, I have realized that tomorrow IS going to be a tough day, so I called my local chapter and will actually attend a meeting...I am a little scared.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:28 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi lanie....good for you attending a meeting. It's ok to be a little scared, we all have been, but it helps, and guess what everyone there is the same. Go early you'll get to meet some people, that helps talking a bit before everything starts, everyone there understands. I'm happy for you, you're taking a big step, that's GREAT.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

lanietov, So glad you are still hanging in there. I was scared for my 1st meeting but there is nothing to scared of. Meetings gave me a place I could meet people just like me. lanietov, that is great that you have made a plan knowing your day is going to be a tough one. Keep posting we are here for you. My thoughts & prayers are with you.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats on your decision to go to a meeting! Don't worry, everyone is scared at first. I was terrified at my first. But the folks are usually very friendly, and they will welcome you.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi Lanie,

I'm RD and an alcoholic of 30 some years. Nice to meet you. I was also adopted, but at the age of 4 years. I also later met up with my blood relatives. They were all alcoholics too.

We can make it if we really want it. Don't be afraid to ask for help. I did and I've got 8 months going now. There's a host of resources out there. Much like you, I was desperate when I finally quit. I knew I couldn't do it alone. I didn't like meeting either, but I still found the help I needed.

Drink lots of water. Get plenty of rest. Don't forget your vitamins! One day is terrrific! Hang in there!!

RD
Old 05-11-2004, 12:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hi lanie! the swollen sausage look is so in these days! i am from L.A. where as you probably know everyone is a size O!!! the bloat will come off as it is the toxins in your system and water waiting to come out. what is important is that you take everything one step at a time and please keep posting here. i understand the weight stuff but that is fixable with diet and excersize and you will get to that. for now enjoy the fact that you are taking care of yourself from the inside out!!!!! yay for you lanie!
try some raspberry leaf tea if you can find it as it is excellent for women. keeping us balanced and all. water with lemon to clean the liver is a good idea as well and i swear by emergncy c's they help get stuff out of the system but just be careful not to over do it. everything in time. you will be happy. love-alice
Old 05-11-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Paused

well, i do not know what to tell you...i woke up this morning excited that i will be going to a meeting. took my daughter to the doctor at 9am (she is being tested for various learning disibilities...she has an auditory disorder from back to back ear infections for the first 3 yrs. of her life....and we have a suit against her doctor for over medicating her....25 antibiotics a year....now at 6 yrs. old we feel she may have a severe form of dyslexia)...went to the doc....brought her to school..went to get a hair relax and cut...paid some bills...went to the bank...went to the gas station and bought beer. I don't know. I just dont KNOWWWWWW. I have already had them and I am totally sober, but I, as usual, hate myself. I failed after what 24 hours? God help me
Old 05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

heh lanie
that's what seperates me from those other folk- no matter how many times i told myself i could /would stop, i started again. For me, it did/does take those meetings.
With other recovering alcoholics all around me, i came to understand that i never HAVE to drink again- just needed to do what they were doing to stay sober.
You are not alone in this.
mackat
Old 05-11-2004, 06:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Red face

((lanie)) Tommorow is another day to start again.Alcoholism is not something we can control with willpower.Its great that you have decided to go to a meeting.That was were the answer lied for me.Learning about alcoholism is a very powerful tool in my recovery.Its not about control its about powerlessness and surrender.I had to surrender to the fact that everytime the results where the same.Hating my self was always one of the results for me.Once I accepted the fact that I was an alcoholic and could not drink like other people it became easier not to take that first drink.If you dont take the first drink you cant get drunk!I am pullin for you! Trish.Prayers^
Old 05-12-2004, 12:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hang in there ((((lanie)))) just keep adding sober days to the ones you have.you can do this! i am sorry about your daughter. my niece has really bad dyslexia and it is rough on my sister. thank goodness there is a lot of awareness now in society and the school system! anyhow i just wanted to check on you and let you know my thoughts are with you. love-alice
Old 05-12-2004, 12:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi lanie, you done the most important thing admitting your problem,now you have to surrender yourself to the program with honesty open-mindedness, and willingness to do whatever it takes to stay clean. good luck and god bless you
Old 05-12-2004, 12:47 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi lanie-
I am Amanda and I am an addict too. Accepting that I was an addict came slowly. Acceptance, though, was a big piece for me - once I could honestly say I accepted this fact about who I am, that meant I could surrender to the reality that I cannot control my using effectively. This changed everything for me. I had KNOWN I was an addict for years, so admitting was not an issue for me. It was the whole thing of coming to realize what that truly meant for me. It meant that I needed to surround myself with others like me on a regular basis and get vulnerable and honest about the pain I was in. When I did that, I discovered there were other people feeling the same kind of feelings as me and they were still staying clean! Shocking for me...

The ONLY requirement for membership in meetings is the DESIRE to stop using. So even if you had a drink today you can still go to a meeting and listen. The key for me was to try actively to relate with at least one thing that came out of each person's mouth who shared. To recognize my similarities instead of trying to keep comparing myself and keep myself different... separate. It really does help. I wish you the best in getting to meetings - it is a great step to take toward finding a way to not drink! You have lots of support here - keep writing no matter what, ok?

love, amanda