Notices

Day one today

Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one today

Hi.

Today is my day one. TBH I'm freaking out. I've been to this point so many times before and I've caved in. My life is a relative mess. Not completely but relatively. I know giving up drinking and drugs will help me a lot. I don't expect it to fix everything.

Anyway this is my first post. I'm off work. I've holed up in my bedroom. My partner I think is disgusted with me. I have a feeling she's angry because I'm trying to do something about my addictions.

Be nice to hear from someone out there.

BTW I'm going to AA tonight for the first time. Wish me luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bravenewworld07 View Post
Hi.

Today is my day one. TBH I'm freaking out. I've been to this point so many times before and I've caved in. My life is a relative mess. Not completely but relatively. I know giving up drinking and drugs will help me a lot. I don't expect it to fix everything.

Anyway this is my first post. I'm off work. I've holed up in my bedroom. My partner I think is disgusted with me. I have a feeling she's angry because I'm trying to do something about my addictions.

many of us have had day ones before (sometimes a couple) they are scary, but don't worry, its get better... it gets awesome! you can do this!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was scared, too, especially when I realized how serious my problem was.

This is a wonderful forum to read and post on. So much help here, and people going through the same thing you are.

Good luck in AA, that's a great step forward for your life! Your partner should be happy for you, too....maybe she is just afraid of change, or just needs time to get used to the idea.

You gotta do it for you, anyways, it'll be sooo worth it!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

Great to see you are making the first steps and big ones at that. Good luck with your first day. Keep posting your progress
Old 04-14-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Heartfan82 View Post
I was scared, too, especially when I realized how serious my problem was.

This is a wonderful forum to read and post on. So much help here, and people going through the same thing you are.

Good luck in AA, that's a great step forward for your life! Your partner should be happy for you, too....maybe she is just afraid of change, or just needs time to get used to the idea.

You gotta do it for you, anyways, it'll be sooo worth it!
I agree completely. I know this is right for me. It's so good to hear I'm not alone in this. I think my partner may be cautious of change and maybe also she doubts I can dot his. I don't know. That truth will out in time.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, Bravenewworld!

You are making all the right moves. It shows that you are committed to this, and that is really all it takes!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Bravenewworld. I am going to ditto all the above, the only regret you will have is for not having done this sooner! Don’t worry about the partner, focus on you right now and once she sees the positive changes in you; that should ease her mind!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Odelle View Post
Welcome to SR, Bravenewworld. I am going to ditto all the above, the only regret you will have is for not having done this sooner! Don’t worry about the partner, focus on you right now and once she sees the positive changes in you; that should ease her mind!
Thank you. I can't worry about her. That's her job I'm realising. I can't tell you all how helpful you been already. It's nice to feel genuinely welcomed!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome bravenewworld07
You'll find a ton of support here - read around and post as much as you like

glad you found us

D
Old 04-14-2013, 11:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The place where you find yourself at the moment is a scary one, that's for sure. I remember being there many many times. The uncertainty, confusion, self hate, fears, loneliness and that sense of having a terribly difficult mountain to climb, is the pits. And yet strangely it is the feeling that you have right now that will prove to be one of your most valuable assets in recovery. At least it will be if you can hold on to the feeling over the coming days, weeks and months ahead. I still get butterflies in my stomach and a feeling of nausea when I think back to where I was after my last drink.

So whilst knowing that as the days pass you will begin to feel better. And that you never need to feel like this again. Just hold on to that feeling that you have at the moment. Store it away somewhere and don't loose it, because it will be enough to stop you taking to top off the bottle when you want to drink again.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shauninspain View Post
The place where you find yourself at the moment is a scary one, that's for sure. I remember being there many many times. The uncertainty, confusion, self hate, fears, loneliness and that sense of having a terribly difficult mountain to climb, is the pits. And yet strangely it is the feeling that you have right now that will prove to be one of your most valuable assets in recovery. At least it will be if you can hold on to the feeling over the coming days, weeks and months ahead. I still get butterflies in my stomach and a feeling of nausea when I think back to where I was after my last drink.

So whilst knowing that as the days pass you will begin to feel better. And that you never need to feel like this again. Just hold on to that feeling that you have at the moment. Store it away somewhere and don't loose it, because it will be enough to stop you taking to top off the bottle when you want to drink again.
Thank you shauninspain! Great advice...
Old 04-14-2013, 11:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have a question though. Everything I've read from AA mentions a higher power. I've never beloved in a god. Will this be a problem for me?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have a question though. Everything I've read from AA mentions a higher power. I've never beloved in a god. Will this be a problem for me?
Believe in yourself my friend Your mind is a power full tool when used to your advantage.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

This is a really good link for anyone thinking about AA - there's a section about God Religion and Spirituality, but it's good to read the whole thing I think

Your First AA Meeting<

D
Old 04-14-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Being a non believer is no problem at all. I see SR as a power greater than myself, as indeed it is. Thousands of people is far more powerful than me. Their collective experience, wisdom, compassion... you name it... it's a powerful thing.

Some people in AA say that GOD stands for Good Orderly Direction. I knew a guy who in the early days knelt down and preyed in front of his motorbike in his garage! Whatever works for you is fine. It's the action of humility rather than the thing to which we are humble that's important.

Enjoy your meeting tonight and remember to look for the similarities, not the differences. Feel no pressure to speak and just enjoy listening to others. You'll soon realize that you are amongst others who have the same malady.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome bravenewworld07!

Proud of you...day one is hard. Especially if you feel as if you don't have support at home... but we are all here for you!!!

Hope your first meeting goes well, really looking forward to hearing about it!

Love Venus xx
Old 04-15-2013, 02:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Can you believe it? I got out of bed, showered and dressed to go to the meeting and realised I'm locked in! My girlfriend isn't home for 3 hours. I can't go to the meeting. There's another one tomorrow night in a different part of the city. I'll go to that one.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again for the support.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh!!! LOL....what a weird cosmic test.....yes, you can go tomorrow....and stay with us for now

Venus xx