Notices

Need some help

Old 04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need some help

Hi Everyone, my name is Steve.

I dont think im a alcaholic as such but feel like i need a drink everyday so maybe dependant.

I really want to stop drinking but i feel as though i need to, to become calm and relaxed, confident.

Im happily married with 3 kids and dont have any finacial worries but yet i feel so depressed and motivation has gone.
I take anti-depressents aswell.

Please help x
Old 04-10-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR.

I think the best way to find which path will lead you to the sobriety you are looking for is to read around the forums here. There are specific forums for discussions of the different recovery methods, and you can learn a lot just by reading them and asking questions.

Hope you have a good journey to the place you wnat to be!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
skg

Only YOU can help prevent forest fires... And determine whether you're alcoholic. It might do you well to know, however, that alcohol is a depressant. The more *I* drank, the more depressed I became, so I went to a pshrynk-shack to find out what was wrong with my wife, my life, and my strife. I came out of there with a bag full of prescriptions and monster bills. And I still drank (don't drink on Antabuse, even if they tell you to--and they won't).
There are some easy surveys you can take (up to 44 questions for us more densely unique) which may lead you to some conclusions. Keep coming back--if for no other reason than to simply learn more about the disease of alcoholism...
S
Old 04-10-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Antidepressants won't work while you're still drinking as the alcohol is itself a depressant. I found my meds worked a lot better once I quit drinking.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Steve! My depression and anxiety got better after I quit drinking.
Lots of good information and support here, just stick around read and post.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome Steve. A good test would be to just stop drinking for a while. It would give you a good indication if you are actually an alcoholic, or at least be one factor in making your decision. If you can just quit with no problems at all, that will tell you something. If not, that will also give you some good ideas of how to proceed.

Regarding your depression and anti-depressant ( assuming they are prescribed by a doctor here ), i'd have a talk with your physician about that? It's generally a good idea to do so before quitting anyway. Also make sure you are honest about your alcohol consumption, it can affect what other drugs they prescribe.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My depression and psychosis went away also after I quit the pills and drinking...it took time and for me, working the 12 steps with a sponsor. A new life began...keep coming around....only you can decide if you are an alcoholic or not.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Steve - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 04-11-2013, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

re

Thanks all

What do you guys do when you feel you need a drink ? any recommendations ?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
instant

My moods and ability to deal with life have improved substantially since i stopped drinking.

I eat chocolate on the rare occasion i feel like a drink.

I really don,t hang out for a drink now. After six months it is easy to live life sober. I can be around drinkers without it being an issue for me, but i avoid drinking parties
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to post here...it really helped me.

why not join our class of April support thread?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-3.html

D
Old 04-11-2013, 01:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks.

Ive only just urned 33, surely i shouldnt need to be drinking and feel so down.

I get angry quite alot when ive had a few and say things to my wife i regret
Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
now's the time

That may be the answer to your question then... if drinking regularly causes you regret, then you're wasting your time and money on a hobby that is no longer a positive part of your life.

The first couple weeks after quitting I would make tea or have a sweet snack when I wanted a drink. I'm at just about 2 months now and I don't often have "drink cravings" per say anymore... but I'll feel a little restless. I used to respond to that feeling by drinking. Now I usually go exercise, or get on here and read posts (especially the ones from people on their first or second day, to remind me what I'd be going back to!)
Old 04-14-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

End of Day 2 today. Not easy but ok ...

Once you stop drinking is it possible to drink just at parties etc ? Or do most simply stop completely.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:28 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

No, alcoholics cannot go back to the pre-alcoholic days. Believe me, most of us have tried it. But, there is an invisible line that you cross and there is no going back.

I hope you decide to live a sober life.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to the day when I can go out with friends and not want a drink to be at ease !
Old 04-14-2013, 12:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Steve

I found that most of my feelings of dis ease were exacerbated by alcohol. All the shyness and lack of confidence was worse because I had to drink to feel okay. I learnt bad coping strategies as a kid which made drinking a viable option. When it came to quitting (I got to a stage where I really had to) I found that I had to stay sober for a while before I started seeing the benefits, which further proved the theory that drinking was the cause of most of my problems. No one needs to drink to function. There are better ways to live. Glad you're here x