Notices

Conflicting advice about antabuse

Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm no doctor but I do have personal experience with antabuse and no no NO, you cannot plan an "off day" and just not take the medication that day and be safe to drink. The medication stays in your system for up to 14 days after the last dosage. I once drank one glass of wine, 7 days after my last dosage (and I was on half the normally recommended dosage due to inability to handle the side effects) and nearly called an ambulance. It was horrific and terrifying.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would look for someone who specializes in dual diagnosis which is what I did. I know antabuse is very hard on your liver so it doesn't really make sense (to me) to alternate it with alcohol in any case.

Your doctor sounds a bit confused - I suspect if you were able to drink normally you wouldn't be sitting down to have 2 bottles of wine.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

As someone who struggled not to drink even for a day towards the end, I found strength in taking the antabuse. I'm not taking it now, but it helped me get back into AA. My 2 cents. I'd definitely recommend seeing someone who deals with addiction issues though and not just a GP.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

FYI, this thread was started over 4 years ago.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:56 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

Thanks. I didn't realize that.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was bumped recently tho, and the topics still obviously relevant

D
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I've been on Antabuse several times - what your doctor has told you about only taking it on the days you plan on not drinking is seriously wrong.

It stays in your system for around a week after you stop taking it. It does take a few days to build up in your system which is why some doctors will prescribe you a higher dose for the first 3 days.

Do not drink on Antabuse. You can find yourself in hospital or worse - trust me on this one.