Notices

Staying home

Old 04-06-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying home

I always hear that a big no-no in sobriety is isolation. Looking long term, I agree...but short term, it's helping me. While I'm new to being sober, I find it very helpful staying home and just watching tv. I go to work everyday and also am starting to eat healthy and exercise a couple times a day. I don't plan on becoming a hermit but for the first month or so I feel this approach will really help me get my head straight and start (and break) the routine.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's ok to take a "time out" and regroup. As long as you understand that isolation long term is not good.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. Sometime I just want to relax
Old 04-06-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Everything in balance and moderation.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-06-2013, 11:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I lasted 5 days then got myself to a meeting where I could interact with other recovering people. I had had enough of me, myself and I.

Everyone's journey in recovery is different.

I wish you well on your sober journey!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I did exactly the same thing. At 30 days, almost to the day, I was ready to venture back out into the world. I did go to work and do errands but that was about all I could handle. After that, normalcy resumed and I started to function more normally. Still avoiding social situations that I can where drinking is the central activity but other than that, I've rejoined the world.

I'm at 7 months BTW.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, it sounds like it's working for you, so keep up the good work. Plus, you are not really totally isolated, in that you are going to work. Good luck, and all the best to you---rick
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is a difference between isolation and just being alone. It's subtle, but still there's a difference. I don't see an issue with what you're doing. I did something similar for a week or so, and I still try to be home each evening because being out and about during the evening is something of a trigger--I can have a hard time driving by those bars. But I've been moving back to my normal schedule. For example, tonight I was on the road for work and I didn't get home until 10:30 PM. Fortunately, I had no desire to stop at a bar for beer when I finished working.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was an isolated drinker. I drank by myself most of the time and stayed home. I needed to get out to meetings and still go everyday. It was hard for me to get out of my comfort zone but I'm glad I did.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I spend time home alone but am not feeling lonely. Im busy all day running my business plus errands, exercise daily etc. so when im hope alone its a time i enjoy. regimen.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Staying away from situations that might be a trigger I think is positive. Staying home for other reasons, or hiding from reality... Maybe not so much. When I got sober I stopped doing pretty much everything, but I got out to AA meetings, spent time with other recovering people, and took care of the very limited responsibilities I had at the time. It helped me build a strong foundation. Just locking myself in the house for a month or two I think would have been a lot more hurtful than helpful. For continued long term sobriety I think building a really strong foundation is important, and I think that's incredibly tough, if not impossible in many cases, alone.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am normally "isolated" and by myself a lot, when not at work. That's not just because of being a drunk. It's my personality and it's partly a choice. I don't like to go out and socialize just for the sake of being around others, whether I enjoy their company or not. I know that sounds snotty, but it's also a true statement of my attitude. So being alone sober is definitely the right thing for me now.

I admit I am a little concerned about what I will do when I am in a social situation and I am offered that first drink. How will I refuse it? I'm going to have to rehearse and prepare for that, particularly with certain people who I know enjoy drinking in company with others.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sillyboy View Post
I always hear that a big no-no in sobriety is isolation.
I heard that too, and it made me feel really guilty because I didn't feel like I could do anything else. I am not a big fan of the word 'trigger' but if I have one it is stress, mainly stress of having too much on and having to be a social butterfly. I was like that when I was drinking sometimes but I drank a ton in the time I was alone to help me cope, so when I got sober I felt like being alone and inactive (I was truly exhausted for months too) was a necessary thing to do. And I kept it up for some time. I went out a few times when I couldn't avoid it and it was tough, but it got a hell of a lot easier as time passed and I became more comfortable with my sober status. I spent a lot of time when I was drinking doing stuff that I thought other people expected of me and having time to myself has really made me be able to distinguish between the stuff I want to do and the stuff I think I have to do. Doing things because I think I have to makes me bitter and resentful and more likely to think of drinking. Looking after myself makes me happy and content. I am not sure I would have made much progress if I had kept on doing what other people thought I should be doing. Isolation isn't always a bad thing
Old 04-07-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to a day of sober living. It’s interesting to be an old timer now and remember hating what the old timers said when I first came around. For instance: take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth as you have nothing to offer yet, your best efforts got you here, after 90 days your free to go as your misery is refunded, sit upfront and listen, every question had a response that it TAKES TIME, KEEP COMING, it gets better, get active, hang with the winners, DON’T THINK , instead of thinking about drinking think about NOT drinking, the most important literature is a meeting list, use it, ASK FOR HELP and KEEP COMING EVEN IF YOU DON’T WANT TO! I did the above and a lot more and after a lot of years still voice them as some basics. Life is good, not perfect YET. (YOUR ELIGIBLE TOO) BE WELL
Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When the sun is out I want to be out, when it gets dark I LOVE TO BE HOME. My wife does not drink, she loves to cook and bring me treats, keeps the house in such nice order..I help too.) but being home safe and sound at night time is for me the best....When and if I go to AA it is a day meeting.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I live alone and spend a lot of time at home alone. It doesn't bother me, I like being by myself, besides, I'm not lonely - I've got my dogs and cat with me.