Notices

Can anyone help me understand

Old 04-06-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't want to drink, I had to drink.

One day, things got bad and that alcohol didn't work right, I couldn't get out of self, I had to at least try to stop.

Alcoholism to me is not being able to live comfortably on this planet or in my own skin without drinking.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Crazed, what kind of different perspective are you looking for? I know we in the F&F of A's forum have really bent over backwards to support you, given our collective experience, strength, and hope. Yet it seems to be for naught.
My own sharing is never for naught. I share for myself as much as anyone else that may be able to benefit. More for myself, actually

It also been helpful to me to try and understand this disease from all angles. Particularly because F&F can sometimes be very one-sided, I've benefited and found some peace at times in reading around the forum. I'm closer to my recovering brother because I know more about his experience and I am more compassionate and hopeful for my addict brother because of reading about the first hand experiences of people in New to Recovery.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I believe that the word insanity is mentioned 9 times in the Big Book of AA, and the 12&12. And indeed it is a kind of insanity. To continue to drink, knowing the damage it was doing to me and my family. The threat of prison, the risks involved. To swear off alcohol, and yet to be drunk within 2 hours, time and time again. I just don't know. For a while I literally thought that I was possessed by some sort of evil entity, and considered seeing a priest.

I am so sorry to read of all the problems that you are facing at the moment. And I hope that with the correct help, and self determination your ex can overcome her addiction.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Alcohol affects the way we think when we use it. Simple cause and effect can become blurred. Very smart people make very poor decisions when it comes to alcohol use. I wish I had something I could tell or give you that would help save your friend's life, but I really don't. She is going to have to make a decision. Either live sober or keep on the path that leads to ruin. Im sorry.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I dont understand it either, i started drinking when i was 37.WHO becomes an alcoholic at 37?
MY youngest daughter turned 3 that summer. My husband has been an alcoholic since i met him. My daughters were used to him being a drunk, but not me. Weve ALWAYS had beer in the fridge and up until then i never touched it. Maybe it started when our neighbors moved in and we started having them over and drinking. we drank alot that summer. next thing i know my husband comes home from work and asks "what happened to my beer '? I said "I drank it" and it seems from then on i kept drinking it then driving drunk to get more. Ive hated myself for two years now, i just couldnt stop it seemed. Now im getting ready to turn 40 and my epihany was my oldest daughter telling me im destroying my 4yr olds life. she was right, i missed out on 2 years of her life in an every other day drunken fog. Always thinking i was gonna quit the next day. As of today ive gone a week without alcohol and i cant remember the last time i felt this good, pyhsically and emotionally, morally,motherly. Good luck to you and your girlfriend, i hope everything works out for you both.