Notices

Feeling low today...

Old 04-03-2013, 06:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Feeling low today...

Just feeling in a "blah" kind of mood today. Really lonely, don't have friends to call. All of my "friends" are just drinking buddies. I've isolated myself over the years because of my addiction, haven't gone out into the world and found any healthy friendships.
I feel really awkward hanging out with people being sober, for years drinking and drug use has given me a false sense of self confidence, and without that I feel uncomfortable in social situations. I hope that its something I can improve on....
On the bright side, despite my mood I haven't felt like drinking or using today. Once briefly my AV popped into my head, and I shut it up. I'm angry at my AV, for creating a lonely, isolated life in which I find myself...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Are there some things you'd like to be doing that you didn't (or couldn't) do while drinking?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you working? Are there any sober co-workers you're friendly with? Usually it just takes one or two friendly relationships to develop into a whole network of friends, but that takes time.

In the meantime try to enjoy your alone time. You don't have to answer to anyone, you don't have to listen to anyone's petty complaints about everyday life, and you have peace and quiet.

Nonsensical also brings up a good point. Is there something that's interested you but you've put off exploring it because you were drinking? If so, dive in now and see if that keeps you interested.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i feel the same way zoey. You're not alone.
I've figured out that going to places with loud intoxicated people isn't really the type of people that make me feel accepted, that i get any happiness from. It's just a loud circus, and that circus plays itself out after a while. The only way anyone can find it fun is if they cloud their mind with intoxicants. Sober people find it boring & exhausting.
Just know that millions of people are in the same place as you, yet they've learned how to not feel so isolated. These are new skills you'll learn.
Don't give up, don't pick up. Moods pass, but we'll never learn to handle our moods if we always chase them away with chemicals.
Showers and sleeping are useful tools.
Hope you feel better soon.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeenixxRising View Post
Are you working? Are there any sober co-workers you're friendly with? Usually it just takes one or two friendly relationships to develop into a whole network of friends, but that takes time.

Nonsensical also brings up a good point. Is there something that's interested you but you've put off exploring it because you were drinking? If so, dive in now and see if that keeps you interested.

Yep, I'm working. Actually really enjoy my job, but I work in a small office, there's only 3 of us plus my manager. I like my co-workers but 8 hours a day with them is enough lol, plus there's quite the age gap between us and we don't have much in common.

There's so much I want to do with my sober time. A new hot yoga studio is opening by my house, and I've been trying to go to a yoga class for years. My anxiety & addiction has always got in the way of me making this happen, by the time it opens hopefully I'll have mustered up the courage to go.
Already feeling a little less lonely, just from spending time on SR, had a nice talk with my mom on the phone too. Think I'll spend the rest of my night reading, have a good book on the go. Thanks for the comments yall.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been sober 12 days and I come home to a quiet place. My drinking wrecked my relationships and being in a new town is difficult because I don't know anyone and I feel socially awkward without alcohol. Try to put yourself out there and conquer your fear--that is what I am trying to do. I hope you enjoy your book and don't be afraid to try new things. Fear has held me back from so much and we have talent and good qualities that people want to see. Be well.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

zoey09 - sounds like you have a wonderful evening planned out for you and you've inspired me to do similar!

I see that you have a Feb join date. If you would like to join the Feb 13th daily threads, please hop over and introduce yourself