Notices

2nd AA attempt - Meeting wasn't there anymore :(

Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd AA attempt - Meeting wasn't there anymore :(

I wanted to share that I just tried to go to my 2nd AA meeting and it was no longer there. I first opened the door on some religious ceremony that was going on (whoops), looked in the basement - lights off, and then someone who worked there asked me what I was looking for so I said a 12 step meeting and he said its not there. I had the right address though. Let down ! I e-mailed the intergroup office. Ugh, just don't want to lose the momentum I have going.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Do a google search for aa meetings in your area and you should find some.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Darn, I'm sorry that happened.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its listed on the AA intergroup site. At least it wasn't my first try because I may have thought it was a sign or something lol. I had a nice time at the meeting last night and want to keep putting myself around other people working the steps and maybe try to work them myself at some point. Maybe I'll at least save someone else the trip since its listed as being there!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Ugh I had this happen with the women's meetings. Went and it is no longer there.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bummer.
I Googled AA in my area, and got a phone number that I was able to call.
The gentleman on the other end was really helpful, and got me a couple different addresses for meetings that were darn close to home.
Use your momentum to make a call!
=)
Best,
Scoutie
Old 04-03-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's no fun. Try calling the AA number and the person should be able to direct you to a meeting they're actually having.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Janie, I also had the same experience with my second AA meeting after it took me, oh, I don't know, about 15 times stalking the building to get my nerve up to go in. I actually ended up walking in on some club for religious motorcycle riders which, at the time, kind of shocked me speechless. (Not that I have anything against bikers or religion but it just wasn't what I was expecting...)

After that I called the local intergroup office and they gave me a bunch of meetings to go to that are held regularly. I also found that once I got over being such a nervous wreck, I actually liked trying the different meetings because each one had a different "feel" to it and helped me discern which one(s) were best for me. Anyway! Glad you enjoyed your first one, it is definitely helping me with the steps!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

search: aa city state and look for the link that ends with .org

Call them and ask about meetings in your area. When a meeting discontinues, it sometimes takes time to get it out of the system.

You tried!!

If you want info on the online meetings, send me a private message!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ptcapote - Lol!!! I stalked this "meeting" at least 3 or 4 times! Nice to know I was sitting in my car "scared" of some mass that was going on inside. Too funny. I had to tell some guy who worked there I was looking for the 12 step meeting, its not as embarassing as I thought it would be - and my #1 fear was being in an awkward situation as such. It wasn't as bad as my mind made it out to be.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

And the first meeting, last night, I walked into a room of women who were planning "Bible Summer Camp" as I saw on some sheet the lady gave me after I was confusedly asked who I was. Then thank GOD she asked if I was in the right room, I contemplated playing along for a second I was SO nervous to begin with. I told her I was looking for a 12 step and she kinda laughed and showed me where to go. Ohhh my life.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had this happen many times. At one point it happened three times in less than a week. It is very frustrating.

I was not comfortable leaving my number so I never left a message about this on the intergroup hotline. But I did send an email.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

choir practice. I walked into that one night
Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Haha nice, okay so I'm not the only one walking in on these poor church-goers.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Janie, when you get down on your knees and say your prayers tonight God will know you did your best to get a meeting. You will be blessed.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

When you finally get to a meeting, be sure to ask about other good meetings and exactly where they are. Times, places and people change, but the people who change the meeting times and places on the schedules are not always up-to-date.

If you see a schedule error, say something about it please! There were a couple errors on the website for our NA meeting times and location, and all I had to do was point it out to the right person and it got fixed.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

look at i this way: yer here tonght with a bunch of alcoholis: so, pick a topic and lets have a meeting!
1st step would prolly be good! or what we used to be like, what happened, and what were like now.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

Sandy B has a new recording on xa-speaker.org

He now has about 49 years of continuous sobriety, take a listen! I can't load xa tonite, but I found Sandy on you tube: Sandy B. "Alcoholics Anonymous" - 12-Step Recovery AA Speaker tapes AA tapes - YouTube
Old 04-03-2013, 08:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

2granddaughters, I am still happy that I made it a priority to get over there and got out of my car TWICE to look for the meeting. I went in and all around the building, back in. It was out of my hands at that point and the latest meetings near me tonight started at the same time.

I'm doing alright with step 1 - acceptance!

Thanks for the recording! I'll check it out!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

janie, where I am from in the US, many cities and suburbs have "Alano" clubs. Basically a building owned or leased by the local AA chapter. I have found that most of these Alano locations have meetings every day, multiple times per day. If you find one near you, they will have an up-to-date printed schedule for you.

I know the one in my city is staffed with volunteers most days even in between meetings. If you can find one, it might be a good place to start and you might be able to walk in at any time to get information. I find the fellowship is greater when I tend to see the same people at different meetings.

In my experience, the locations listed on the intergroup websites that have just one meeting a week tend to cater to a specific audience. I stumbled into a meeting once that was all Vietnam War Veterans, 40 years older than me. I got some strange looks when I busted through the door 5 minutes late. Listening to what led to those gentleman's alcoholism really made my problems pale in comparison. Hats off to them for their service, but not exactly my kind of group. I should have known better, but the VA hospital was actually the closest meeting to my house at the time.

Live and learn!