Notices

Trying sobriety

Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hefner, thanks! Long-winded is fine with me, no worries. I find the most interesting thing about AA is listening to other peoples' stories and even on here that's what I have looked at most is the recovery stories of members here. I guess different things work for different people and if what you are doing is keeping you sober then hey, great! I'm not really close to my family and my friends are mostly drunks or potheads soooo...hello AA! Congrats on 11 months! I hope to be there myself soon. I do think that what works best about AA is support from understanding people and I reckon you can find people to help without attending meetings. Honestly, it helps me just to have something to do in the evening other than sit around by myself and drink. I go twice sometimes. Anyway, thanks for the reply and kind words. I wish you the best as well.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Sandra! Hope you find what you're looking for here, there's a great bunch of alco's here to listen and give advice along the way. I know they have been a wonderful help to me and continue to inspire me everytime I visit the boards.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

2granddaughters, thank you and I will watch the video. I do find myself paying close attention to what the old-timers at the meetings have to say, so I'm with you on that.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No problem. Just wanted to show you that we all deal in different ways. The right way is anything that works for you. Hopefully none of us will find the wrong way.

Take care.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congratz Sandra--the people who have what you want in AA...try & get some phone numbers. Then the next time you have an urge--make some calls...it's hard at first, but AA will tell you that you don't have to do this alone. Get used to calling others who you 'click' with, maybe one of them will be your sponsor. I have a 'main' sponsor, but I still use my first sponsor more often even though he is 5 hours away..we just click better. I also use others in AA as 'sub' sponsors I guess. As I have warmed up to others in my meetings, we learn to lean on each other and build trust...keep coming back!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Bryan, yes it is odd to me to call people that I really don't know...so that will take some getting used to. I feel like I'm being a bother or a pest, but I guess I should just forget that and call anyway. Definitely there are people that you click with or can relate to better than others. The person I initially chose as a sponsor was someone I could really relate to, close in age and etc...but I am finding that she is not always very reliable about responding to my calls. She specifically asked me to attend a particular meeting in the morning the other day...I work an overnight shift and usually go to bed when I get home in the morning. I stayed up all night at work and went to the meeting as she requested and she didn't show up or even call to let me know she couldn't make it. I thought that was inconsiderate, cuz I went out of my way to make it. It didn't make me angry so much as hurt my feelings and I still haven't heard from her. :-/ So I guess it's back to the sponsor drawing board lol. The group I attend is fairly small so not much selection. I'll keep looking and I do have people to talk to/call. Sorry, that was so long but that is what happened that made me a little upset.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

That's a shame Sandra...you made the effort & I applaud you for that. I just started sponsoring someone and it is a bit of a challenge...I try to respond as best I can to their needs. Keep in mind that one of the foundations that AA is built on is that to 'keep' your sobriety, you have to 'give' it back (that which others have taught & gave to you as a newcomer). Hang in there, seems like you are on the right road...patience & persistence will be tested at times, but you can do it.