Notices

Day 3...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newcomer

Day 3...

Well I am on day 3 of soberiety so far, and I'm surprised it's taken me this long to finally wake up and do it considering just under a year ago I was close to dying twice from alcohol.

The first time, I was at my work's Christmas party, all the employees enjoy free drinks and food and music and have a blast. That night I lost count of how many beers and tequila shots I had, and I also lost my memory of what happened next that night. Everyone there told me I acted fine at the party, they couldn't tell I was drunk. As soon as I left is when I "blacked out", meaning, I didn't remember getting into my car to drive 30 minutes home.
I somehow managed to get on the highway and get to my exit, the whole time I was doing speeds anywhere from 10 mph to 70mph. When I got off my exit, I swerved and hit the railing on the ride side of my car and somehow took the tire and rim completley off my front right tire, and still managed to drive another 10 minutes down the road going around 40-50mph on no tire, sparks flying. Someone driving near me witnessed all of this and tried to get me to stop, but I wasn't aware of them at all, I wasn't feeling a thing.
Finally they called it in, and I got pulled over. I of course failed their tests and got taken in for a DUI. My first and only one.
Drinking is definitely not worth 5,000 dollars and court time and jail time, that's for sure, you don't EVER want to go through that if you never have.. it's a nightmare.

The second time was almost a year later. I had quit drinking for about 4 months after the first incident... but then got weak and started drinking again.
So one day I went out with my girl friends and some coworkers, and I got carried away, lost count of how many I had. Instead of getting a ride from someone I was too drunk to think of it, I decided to get on my scooter and drive home. There were those big orange construction barracades that look like big cylinder cones just down the road, well I blacked out again and went about 20-30mph head on into one of those barracades...flew off the bike and landed face first onto the concrete. 5 hours later someone found me and called 911. I was air lifted to the hospital, saying the same thing over and over, they said I suffered some head trauma because I kept repeating.
I ended up with serious road burn on my leg and a broken cheek bone and some blood loss.
That was the scariest moment of my life... knowing I was so close to death because of my own stupidity. when I saw my family and friends come to visit me in the hospital, I saw the fear and love in their faces and I couldn't stop crying, I kept saying how sorry I was and how much I loved them.

Guys, alcohol is nothing but a poison, it will do nothing but hurt you and people around you. At least for me it is. It is not worth it. Because of my stubborness, it took all of that to make me realize I need to stop. I don't need it. I don't want to lose control of myself and my memory, I don't want to hurt my body, or end up in jail because of it.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, I am determined to stay sober, I don't want alcohol in my life anymore, I've said goodbye, and I've said hello to a happier, sober life!
Old 03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mistyblue87 View Post
Well I am on day 3 of soberiety so far,
Congratulations!!! I've been on day 3 quite a few times, its one of the harder ones, but as I've found, the people on this forum are quite supportive, knowledgeable, and will do what they can to help you get to day 4, then 5, etc.

I feel very fortunate to never have had an experience like yours, but I know i've had my fair share of near misses.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ami

As always, I am SO proud of you
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to the family! Good job on three days sober, now just keep on keepin' on.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR MistyBlue

welcome to you too Ami

D
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, MistyBlue.

I'm so glad you made it through those dangerous times. I played with fire for many years & feel so lucky to be free of that horrible lifestyle. Glad you are with us.

Congratulations on your Day 3!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Mistyblue, day 3? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations.