Notices

Day One: Get this Monkey off my Back!

Old 03-23-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day One: Get this Monkey off my Back!

Hello dear readers,

After many years of cyclical destructive habits, I am determined to liberate myself of the embarrassment and become a stronger being. To do so, I must (a) start living sober (b) confess my wrong deeds (c) retrain my mind towards new habits (d) learn from and support all of you!

For years, my addictions have plagued my life. I believe marijuana's effects on appetite led to another disorder: overeating and binging. Today I awoke after indulgently smoking and eating weed food yesterday, with a deep desire to stop accepting these activities in my life. I am writing to all of you, to humbly ask for your support, advice, and to begin sharing stories. Though I have previously halfheartedly quit my indulgences, I have never before tried connecting with others. I hope writing and reading these forums will help all of us recover from past mistakes!

Best,

ShiningSoul
Old 03-23-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by ShiningSoul View Post
To do so, I must (a) start living sober (b) confess my wrong deeds (c) retrain my mind towards new habits (d) learn from and support all of you!

Well, you're here and ready to learn from us (d), (a) is totally up to you (I hope you've stopped and gotten rid of it), but (b) and (c) sound pretty ambitious for a newcomer to recovery.

SoberRecovery is a good habit--stick around and post some more if you're thinking of smoking or drinking!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! I wish you the best in your efforts to live a sober life.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recovering alcoholic

My first 3 months I went to work, came home and locked myself in my bedroom. I slept, read and prayed. I was determained to break the chains of my addiction after 30 years of drinking most every day.

I took back roads to my house so I would not drive by the places where I bought my alcohol and I stopped hanging with and seeing anyone who I had a connection with who drank. I got rid of things such as shot classes, beer mugs and bottle openers. I am 132 days today - a little over 4 months - and I feel very strong and clear headed. I no longer need to take back roads into town, although I still find that I need to say NO to my urge every now and then. Relapse in not an option! And don't "flirt" with your addiction. By that I mean, don't fool yourself into thinking you can be around it, or others who are using. If you sit in a barbers chair too often, you're bound to get a hair cut. In other words, take your sobriety very seriously and stay away from it and everyone connected to it. Good Luck!
Old 03-23-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome ShiningSoul,
Congratulations on your decision to join SR!

Hope to see you around the forum and wish you all the best on your journey to recovery.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best of luck!

I find meetings help a lot, in confronting our addictions. Perhaps you could check one or two out.

Kelly
Old 03-23-2013, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR ShiningSoul I truly believe that connecting with other people with the same problem has me has made all the difference for me in my recovery. I am sure SR will provide the same for you too. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it x
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day Four-ish

Hello dear new friends,

Thanks so much for your input. I am recognizing I will not succeed without the support not only of the people I know who are clean and stable, but especially from recovering addicts.

Honestly, I have not succeeded in being completely clean, though the last few days I only allowed myself to smoke once or twice, rather than all day. It helped me so much this morning, when pondering sneaking a morning bowl, to read your input. It grounded me back in my goals and renewed my vigor to kick my addiction.

So, I need further advice. I understand it is easier to quit using when you can sever yourself from the places, experiences, people, and substance involved in your addiction. Have any of you been able to get clean while still around the thing? Because I live in NorCal, where weed is grown all over. I believe my addiction has persisted because so many people get high or drunk, they allow it in each other. Also, I have been very secretive my whole life, and though I always knew I was breaking rules by hiding my addiction, I never foresaw how I was entrenching myself deeper by not letting others see the truth. Now it pains me how much of my life has been intoxicated and unclear, and how little I have to show at this moment.

Let me reiterate, your support is priceless. My next goals are: not to smoke today, to attend an AA meeting within the week, and to find someone to sponsor my quest for sobriety. Please, keep sending whatever positivity and creative solutions you come up with! Also, reprimands will help keep me focused. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors, S.S.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I think you have a good plan. If that doesn't work, you may have to do what I did--spend a few days in "Social Detox," and have the stuff completely out of my life (my wife quit too).

I did 90 meetings in 90 days and see my sponsor twice a week. I'm on step four now (resentments). I did the first three steps with the help of SoberRecovery (yes, I actually found God here), and in fact found the final inspiration to begin step four here at SR from a moderator who recently passed away.

I have not given up drugs completely--I take psychiatric medications. Of course, the only way to know if you need these is to see a doctor (and have patience--it took 33 years for me to get a diagnosis and find meds that work).

Thanks for checking in!

C∞F