Notices

I feel lost.....

Old 03-20-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Exactly! There are plenty of people in the craft brew world that believe that it is impossible to suffer from alcoholism unless you are chugging a 30 pack of Coors. I never understood that. My two 6 packs of 9% IPA are going to do just as much damage as someone’s 30 Bud’s. What people fail to understand is that at the end of the day the beer style and ingredients are nothing but vehicles for the delivery of the alcohol.

Those beer events, especially the festivals, are crazy. I remember thinking that they would be somewhat subdues but they were completely over-the-top! How can you be there looking for the nuances of a beer when you just had an IPA with 120 IBUs? You’re not tasting anything after that.

Anyway, I don’t blame that crowd for where I am today. I just wish that they were a little more open to discussing the dangers of constant indulgence. I’ve read some of the threads on beer sites that deal with alcoholism and for the most part the conversation gets brushed aside with a pat on the back and a “Don’t worry about it, your fine!”. Some awareness would do that scene some good.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My recommendation is to hit the ground running. Start eating right, start exercising (even if just walking). Get involved with music. It all helps. Stop looking behind and start looking ahead. You have a new life to lead. A sober life. You can do all of those things on your upcoming list and you will enjoy them more when you let go of alcohol. Look forward to going to the beach or wedding and being in the best shape you have been in the last 10 or 20 years. I know I love social gatherings now being one of the sober people. It is uplifting.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I’m a week in and sitting at Day 8. I decided to go back and read my first post to get some perspective on the week and all I can say is Wow. I look at the first post in this thread I can read the fear and confusion in every word I typed. If course I’m nowhere near “recovered” but I can’t believe how much better I feel after only a week. The actual act of staying sober has not been easy but making the commitment to myself and my family has strengthened my resolve. They helped me through the mental turmoil, constant vomiting and crippling nightmares.

The first few days I was having trouble but told myself to take it one day at a time. After realizing this didn’t have the desired impact, I came up with my own personal mantra which helped make it a lot easier. I simply tell myself that I am not going to drink right now. Forget five minutes from now, forget five minutes ago. Simply, don’t drink now. Any time the AV comes a creepin’ I just repeat the mantra and it slowly slithers back into the recesses of my brain. For whatever reason, that makes sense to me.

I guess there really is no point to this post other than personal reflection on the drastic changes I’ve felt after only 7 days of sobriety. I also wanted to post here to thank the SR community for their help. I’m not sure if I would have made it past night number 2 without the help of some fine folks here. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

As I get more comfortable with my sobriety, I’ll try to post in other threads and share my experiences and “pay forward” the love and support that others have shown me. I’ll also keep updating this thread with milestone dates so others can see the progression of a guy who after more than a decade of abuse decided to turn his life around!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting through to day 8. I also noticed a difference after my first week. Keep going and stay strong
Ken
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ken!
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Murdock...for what it is worth I'm on day 31...and I joined SR Nov 15th, 2011...I have had many day ones...I could never get past the 3-4 day mark without my AV convincing me it was ok..You don't 'really' have a problem...

Over the past 3 years my drinking has steady progressed. I HAVE a problem.

All I am saying is if I can make it 30 days you can as well.

I remember reading so many post by people at day 30, 60, 90 ect and feeling like I will never get there. 'It just isn't easy'

Well it isn't easy...but it is worth it. 2 saturday afternoons ago I was actually in the car om my way to by beer and wine..My av said 2 weeks ..see ...no problem..what problem?

I got half way there and turned the car around. I thought about having to post on SR yet again I am on day 1 or not posting on SR at all.. I turned the car around and went back home..It was hard but later that night I felt good. I didn't give in.

It feels good (and a bit scarey) at day 30..I ddon't want to go back.. I feel alot better. Yet I know 30 days is just a beginning.

Stay strong and keep posting. You will get there. It will get easier. I can finally say that now!

Jim
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I can appreciate how you feel. Maybe try changing who you hang with and your activities one at a time? During the past few years I've been hanging more with non-drinkers/light drinkers and mainly avoiding big drinkers as much as possible. If I didn't I probably would've been drinking alot heavier in recent years. Still tired of the way I feel, nonetheless. Hang in there! One thing at a time.