Notices

Movie: "Smashed" Really Worth a Watch

Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm about to download from right the piratebay, only took me a couple of seconds to find. If I had more post points or whatever I would post the link.

Excited to watch based on Jesse Pinkman
Old 03-15-2013, 05:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LDT

Spoiler Alert....don't read if you haven't watched.....I watched 'Smashed' last night. I thought it was very well done, but I was disappointed in the omission of parts of the young woman's withdrawal. It is not possible to drink that huge amount of alcohol and not experience WDs. A massive hangover doesn't show the complete picture IMHO....However, most parts of the movie were spot on....very realistic. The end left me wondering if she would indeed "go back" or not. If you've seen the movie, what do you think?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Thanks, avocado, on the redbox thing--$1.58 here, but I may wait for a promo code to arrive.....
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good. There were a few plot holes with respect to her relationship with the assistant principal, but it was a good movie for early recovery.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Spoiler Alert....don't read if you haven't watched.....I watched 'Smashed' last night. I thought it was very well done, but I was disappointed in the omission of parts of the young woman's withdrawal. It is not possible to drink that huge amount of alcohol and not experience WDs. A massive hangover doesn't show the complete picture IMHO....However, most parts of the movie were spot on....very realistic. The end left me wondering if she would indeed "go back" or not. If you've seen the movie, what do you think?
no, it is possible. i had binge drinking episodes like hers, including crack use at times, and when i finally quit i suffered very minor withdrawals. the film never tells us if she was a long-term every day drinker or if she was an occasional binge drinker, and she seemed fairly young. personally, i was the type to drink a little almost every day but once every week or two I'd have binge episodes that put hers to shame. When I finally stopped, all i dealt with was anxiety, depression and trouble sleeping (and i'm an insomniac to begin with). So, I think the film was a pretty accurate depiction of what people whose drinking mirrored mine go through. Now, if they'd shown her mother trying to quit and having no major withdrawals, i think that would be incorrect, since her mother seemed to be a long-term, daily alcoholic.

as far as the end, i think they leave it pretty open-ended to show that one year of sobriety doesn't automatically mean someone is cured. It could go either way.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
LDT

Very interesting, avocado. I just assumed she/they were heavy daily drinkers . I didn't get from the movie that she was an 'occasional' binge drinker, but I could be wrong. My own drinking was daily( at the end). I never had binges like the character in the movie, but I did have moderately severe ( if there is such a thing ) withdrawals....spent 3 days in a medical detox. Thanks for your input about binges and WDs....that never occurred to me.

I agree with you about the ending. And it's true that one year of sobriety doesn't automatically mean one is cured. I liked the metaphor of her husband asking for "one last game"...... Not unlike "one last drink."
Old 03-15-2013, 09:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yeah, i saw the characters in the film as living the kind of lifestyle i was living - basically social drinkers who get too carried away and wind up on binges, but then must straighten themselves out to some degree to never become as physically addicted as others. that's what makes me think she was more like i was. i would drink heavily for maybe a week, then take a week off or with only moderate drinking, maybe a six pack a night, then maybe a few days where my body had enough so i stopped for a week, then I'd feel good and go on another drug and alcohol binge. so, i never really got to the point where i'd be suffering major withdrawals, but the danger with me was that when i'd binge i'd lose total control of my behavior like she did and do really stupid, dangerous stuff.

when i finally quit this last time (i had basically done half-assed attempts at quitting on almost a monthly basis all of last year and for years before i would often half-assedly 'quit'), my body was used to stopping for a week or so at a time, then having anxiety and trouble sleeping and mood swings, so it never got worse than that this time. I suppose I'm lucky that I never developed a serious physical dependency, but this probably is a result of several years of constant dealing with this cyclic struggle of binging, then cutting down or stopping because of the psychological/financial/legal damage done, then feeling better about myself and being a happy guy again who thought he could just go have fun and have a few drinks. late 2011 and all of last year it just started becoming worse and worse the things that would happen i finally realized were going to cause me to wind up in jail or dead, so i finally had to stop. For me, it's not so much cravings for alcohol that I have to watch out for, it's ever slipping back into that mode of thinking that I can be the guy who can drink in moderation just to have fun. The scary thing is I probably could do that, for a while, but eventually it just gets worse and worse.

so anyway, maybe i was projecting my own experiences on to the movie, but it makes a lot of sense from that perspective. I could relate to the main character 100%. I could have written that film, to be honest.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You should consider posting this here: Recovery, Addiction, and Alcoholism in the News, Movies, and Pop Culture - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks, Taking5. I suppose I should try and venture over to some of the other boards on this site and see what else is happening.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If anyone wants to watch it free..... here it is in great quality. Hope the link is right.

Smashed.2012.LIMITED.BDRip.XviD-GECKOS.avi | PutLocker
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

By the way continue as free user... Enjoy!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
New and learning

Our weekly independent paper ran a review and I want to see it. I have an all day travel on sunday so I'll look at how to order off iTunes so I can keep busy. This will be up on my list! Thanks for the recommend!
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I watched it last night. Good movie. A few holes in the plot.

Thought the main actress was good.
The ending. It is open. Could go either way.

Overall it was worth watching.

Jim
Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
~sb

I enjoyed it much more than Flight!

Only 77 cents with that promo code that came!
Old 03-16-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
LDT

I enjoyed both Flight and Smashed, as it reflected two different demographics. But I think I really connected more to " When a Man Loves a Woman". That could have been my story.