Notices

Not drinking from today

Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not drinking from today

Yesterday while suffering from a hangover I decided to quit drinking. It's been a long time coming. I am far from hitting rock bottom (but will prob get there if I continue drinking) but am in a place I dont want to be.

I am happily married now, but in my early twenties made unsafe sex choices due to drink. My husband does not know this.

I have had black outs. I have never said the following out loud: I once blacked out in someone's garden walking home from bar.

In the past few years I haven't repeated the above type of behaviours but I am an obnoxious drunk. I am the loud annoying lady in the bar.

I am a binge drinker. I only drink at weekends. I generally am embarrassed the day after being out for a night.

I feel the need to stop but I am afraid.

How do I stop?

What do I say to people who ask me why am I not drinking?

Am I an alcoholic?

Yesterday, I thought I might be able to regulate my drinking and cut down and maybe just have one or two when I go out. This has worked for me for awhile in the past but then I will have a big blowout.

I don't have the will to go to AA.

Can I regulate my drinking without giving up completely?

There is nothing positive for me drinking (except the social scene - I will lose my friends) so why can't I stop?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome why not pop over to our march group? There are a tonne of us all trying to get sober who can definately relate to you. You've come to the right place.

Stay strong
Beagle
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to Sr. you are with people who understand everything you say. I am a different type of drinker to you but I was still unhappy enough to want to stop. And I did. I also went the wrong way with the sex/booze thing when I was younger, but I am a nice drunk. people like me, they wanted me to keep drinking. But I knew what I wanted and it sounds like you do to. You will find this site excellent. Good luck, and keep us posted on how you doing.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your responses. I will join the March group.

I have a wedding next weekend. I intend to not drink at it. If I do drink at it, I will know I have a bigger problem than I thought.

If I don't drink at it, I think I will end up telling myself I don't have a drink problem and will end up drinking the next day (st. Patrick's day).

How stupid is all of the above? :-(
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome coffee

I can relate to your story. my binge drinking eventually became every night drinking, at home so I couldn't annoy people or be obnoxious, then it became more.

SR saved me, stick around read stories, share yours, I second joining the monthy class too. welcome
Old 03-11-2013, 04:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
welcome coffee

I can relate to your story. my binge drinking eventually became every night drinking, at home so I couldn't annoy people or be obnoxious, then it became more.

SR saved me, stick around read stories, share yours, I second joining the monthy class too. welcome
Thank you.

Yes I too sometimes drink lots at home rather than being a disgrace in public.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I'm a binging alcoholic , I couldn't regulate my drinking , or i could for a while , a day a week a month then i'd go off the rails and blackout , sometimes all weekend and sometimes just pass out .

It's none of my business to take a judgement call on if you're an alcoholic or not , although it certainly sounds like you may have problems with alcohol .

The only real solution for me has been complete abstinance followed by learning how to deal with the world sober .

My drinking friends were just that, DRINKING friends . When i stopped drinking they soon dissapeared and i was left with my real friends .

Why not try 90 days sober to see how alcohol effects your life and see if you are happier without it ? you could always tell your friends you on anti-biotics or on a detox / fitness drive

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-11-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can so relate! Then I got married and had a child it was just easier to stay in, drinking a bottle of wine every night. I'm 3 mnths sober now and it is so so worth it. I wish I'd stopped years ago

I wouldn't worry about what you are/labels etc. If alcohol is causing you problems/regrets then it's a problem for you

most people won't even notice or bother you aren't drinking. We only notice others not drinking because we have a problem. They may even be glad you've stopped
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I'm a binging alcoholic , I couldn't regulate my drinking , or i could for a while , a day a week a month then i'd go off the rails and blackout , sometimes all weekend and sometimes just pass out .

It's none of my business to take a judgement call on if you're an alcoholic or not , although it certainly sounds like you may have problems with alcohol .

The only real solution for me has been complete abstinance followed by learning how to deal with the world sober .

My drinking friends were just that, DRINKING friends . When i stopped drinking they soon dissapeared and i was left with my real friends .

Why not try 90 days sober to see how alcohol effects your life and see if you are happier without it ? you could always tell your friends you on anti-biotics or on a detox / fitness drive

Bestwishes, M
Thank you. Really helpful.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I can so relate! Then I got married and had a child it was just easier to stay in, drinking a bottle of wine every night. I'm 3 mnths sober now and it is so so worth it. I wish I'd stopped years ago

I wouldn't worry about what you are/labels etc. If alcohol is causing you problems/regrets then it's a problem for you

most people won't even notice or bother you aren't drinking. We only notice others not drinking because we have a problem. They may even be glad you've stopped
Thank you. All these responses mean a lot to me.

It was hard to open up on a public forum.

I think I am still in denial, but reading other threads and experiences is helpful.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am scared no one will like me when am not drinking.

I won't be "Fun Coffeetogo" anymore.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome! Being sober doesn't mean that you take fun out of any equation. You can still have fun, and keep yourself together. How much fun is it really to be the sloppy obnoxious drunk lady at the bar? I was her too! And believe me my life may not be as chaotic as it once was, (where I thought chaos was fun) but its still thoroughly enjoyable. And I don't have people pointin fingers behind my back because of the sloppy obnoxious decisions I made when I was hammered. I tell people today that I am in recovery and they simply say good for you, and usually smile and say that's awesome.

Recovery is the least negative choice in life you can make! Best wishes!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fallingtogether View Post
Hi and welcome! Being sober doesn't mean that you take fun out of any equation. You can still have fun, and keep yourself together. How much fun is it really to be the sloppy obnoxious drunk lady at the bar? I was her too! And believe me my life may not be as chaotic as it once was, (where I thought chaos was fun) but its still thoroughly enjoyable. And I don't have people pointin fingers behind my back because of the sloppy obnoxious decisions I made when I was hammered. I tell people today that I am in recovery and they simply say good for you, and usually smile and say that's awesome.

Recovery is the least negative choice in life you can make! Best wishes!
The support I am getting on here is immense. I am feeling stronger already.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Regarding fun. My truth is the absolute best doubling over in laughter, can't catch my breath fun I've had in my life are the sober times. The times I've got my wits about me and can actually remember what was so funny. It's very telling to me. The drunk fun is a mystery to me the next day.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingHarder View Post
Regarding fun. My truth is the absolute best doubling over in laughter, can't catch my breath fun I've had in my life are the sober times. The times I've got my wits about me and can actually remember what was so funny. It's very telling to me. The drunk fun is a mystery to me the next day.
So true. Or a lot of the time when you look at the fun the next day through sober eyes it's not fun at all.

I think I am very immature in relation to drinking. I have a lot of growing up to do. Facing up to the issues I have with alcohol is a big step for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was scared I'd lose myself when I got sober too.
My identity was centered around my drinking and had been for decades.

But...instead of losing myself I found myself again.

There was a me I totally forgotten about, from before the drinking...a real authentic me.

I'm willing to bet you';ll find the same.

The fear you're feeling is your addiction's fear.

You owe it to yourself to find that person again coffeetogo.
Give it a go

welcome to SR

D
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I was scared I'd lose myself when I got sober too.
My identity was centered around my drinking and had been for decades.

But...instead of losing myself I found myself again.

There was a me I totally forgotten about, from before the drinking...a real authentic me.

I'm willing to bet you';ll find the same.

The fear you're feeling is your addiction's fear.

You owe it to yourself to find that person again coffeetogo.
Give it a go

welcome to SR

D
Oh my gosh Dee74 you have summed me up perfectly.

Thank you - you have given me hope.

I can do this!!!!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coffee- that whole bargaining game "well if im good at the wedding then..." Is something we have all been through- on these forums we call that part of ourselves AV or alcoholic voice.

I played the bargaining game for years only to realize normal people don't- because they don't have to. I blacked out the first time i drank and didn't realize that blacking out was abnormal for many years to come. Try being sober at this wedding and notice how not wasted most people are- when I was drinking in though everyone was on my level. They weren't.

Wishing you all the best!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
Coffee- that whole bargaining game "well if im good at the wedding then..." Is something we have all been through- on these forums we call that part of ourselves AV or alcoholic voice.

I played the bargaining game for years only to realize normal people don't- because they don't have to. I blacked out the first time i drank and didn't realize that blacking out was abnormal for many years to come. Try being sober at this wedding and notice how not wasted most people are- when I was drinking in though everyone was on my level. They weren't.

Melissa, thank you. This is extremely practical advise. I will look at how drunk people are at the wedding. I do excuse my drunkenness by saying everyone else is drunk too.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post

The AV is new to me. I need to stop listening to my alcoholic voice.