Notices

Not drinking from today

Old 03-11-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The AV can be tricky because when it gets hungry it wants to be fed and will put all sorts of thoughts into your head.

Mine told me " ill only have wine and beer" "if I'm at home it will be fine" "it's thanksgiving" "you've been sober for weeks i bet you've outgrown it" etc etc etc.

None of that worked. Even if i could moderate a day or two here and there eventually something would always happen and I'd find myself on a one way train to blackout vile.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi there coffeetogo, I wish you all the best on this new journey, having found this forum myself yesterday I'm right here with you. x
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Grind out the early days weeks or even months, things get better and better. Life is raw real and very bright without drugs. It's a life changing thing , takes learning and a bit of skill in certain situations . Simplicity and liberation from the shackles of toxins is the prize.

Sober is cool. Good luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
The AV can be tricky because when it gets hungry it wants to be fed and will put all sorts of thoughts into your head.

Mine told me " ill only have wine and beer" "if I'm at home it will be fine" "it's thanksgiving" "you've been sober for weeks i bet you've outgrown it" etc etc etc.

None of that worked. Even if i could moderate a day or two here and there eventually something would always happen and I'd find myself on a one way train to blackout vile.
Been there. I've done all this in the past. Need to just cop myself on and STOP!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarkDays View Post
Grind out the early days weeks or even months, things get better and better. Life is raw real and very bright without drugs. It's a life changing thing , takes learning and a bit of skill in certain situations . Simplicity and liberation from the shackles of toxins is the prize.

Sober is cool. Good luck.
Thank you. One day at a time.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to our sober family! You've come to a great place for support so use it for all it's worth. Sober living is a bit hard to adjust to but is definately worth it.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have over a year now without a drink.

What does that mean to me when I look back?

No next mornings spent crying or regretting what I had done.
No wondering if I needed to apologise to anyone.
No wondering if people were talking about me.
No feeling like the world is going to end.
No hiding away from people as I was too ashamed to face them.
Being able to answer the phone at anytime of the day or night and be 100% fine.
Being able to drive anytime I want knowing I am 100% sober.

Do I think I have missed out this last year?
Absolutely not.
Has this last year without a drink been boring?
No not at all. In fact if anything I have done more because I have not been trying to sleep off a hangover.

How do I define myself - an alcoholic, binge drinker, dangerous drinker? I don't know and I don't need to know. I believe that drinking makes me unhappy and thats enough for me to not do it.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
I have over a year now without a drink.

What does that mean to me when I look back?

No next mornings spent crying or regretting what I had done.
No wondering if I needed to apologise to anyone.
No wondering if people were talking about me.
No feeling like the world is going to end.
No hiding away from people as I was too ashamed to face them.
Being able to answer the phone at anytime of the day or night and be 100% fine.
Being able to drive anytime I want knowing I am 100% sober.

Do I think I have missed out this last year?
Absolutely not.
Has this last year without a drink been boring?
No not at all. In fact if anything I have done more because I have not been trying to sleep off a hangover.

How do I define myself - an alcoholic, binge drinker, dangerous drinker? I don't know and I don't need to know. I believe that drinking makes me unhappy and thats enough for me to not do it.
Oh gosh, what a post. Thank you.

I can only hope that I will be saying the same things in a year.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

True friends say "I'll be there for you".

Originally Posted by coffeetogo View Post
I am scared no one will like me when am not drinking.

I won't be "Fun Coffeetogo" anymore.
I can completely relate. Every time I worry about not being "Fun Louise" anymore, I remember a story from Friends when Monica was going out with a problem drinker who the eponymous Friends called "Fun Bobby". Bobby then decided to become Happy Bobby and sober up. Monica found Sober Bobby boring and so started drinking more herself. IMO, it was Monica with the problem, not sober, happy Bobby. The Friends were never Bobby's real friends. Similar to what ReadyAtLast said, if anyone's that bothered about whether you drink or not, it's their problem, not yours. Most people won't even notice/care.

I haven't met up with my friends since I got sober so I'm also thinking about how they'll respond when I order a nice, refreshing, sophisticated ginger ale and lime. This is by no means necessarily the way to go for you or anyone else, but if they hassle me about not drinking, I'm just going to say "I'm an alcoholic". That may shut them up; it may cause drama. Either way, no one's going to die and I'll finally get to see who my real friends are. I'm too old to take horsesh*t from people who only pretend to care about me.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

'What other people think of me is none of my business'.

Works wonders for me!

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fallow View Post
'What other people think of me is none of my business'.

Works wonders for me!

Welcome to SR!
Thanks for the advice Fallow.

I'm glad to have found SR.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi coffeetogo How are you feeling today? Good I hope. I noticed you had many responses yesterday, its a great feeling knowing that everyone is out there, and they understand how you feel! Its a great website, I hope we can all keep you going as we keep each other going.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:02 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RachelNorth View Post
Hi coffeetogo How are you feeling today? Good I hope. I noticed you had many responses yesterday, its a great feeling knowing that everyone is out there, and they understand how you feel! Its a great website, I hope we can all keep you going as we keep each other going.
Physically I am not good today Rachel but am feeling mentally strong all things considered. Thank you for your words of support. They mean a lot.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
New and learning

Check out the March 2013 thread......a group of us who all quit in March. Super supportive and encouraging and helpful!

Welcome!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NeedMySavior View Post
Check out the March 2013 thread......a group of us who all quit in March. Super supportive and encouraging and helpful!

Welcome!
Thanks Needmysaviour, I was there yesterday and got some great support. I'll check back in. Thank you