Notices

Realized I am an alcoholic

Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Realized I am an alcoholic

Hi,

Not sure how this site works yet.
I just wanted to share my story and hope to find support here.
I am a mom of two toddlers who I love dearly. I started drinking on weekends the past year...and in the last month realized I now binge drink. I cant just have one...it has turned from 3 to 10 in two weeks. I am afraid. Ashamed.
No one knows I have this problem.
I realize I need to avoid alcohol all together.
Today is my first day.
Any advice on how to avoid the cravings would help.
Very depressed
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Urge Surfing. Hopefully a link will follow by someone else!

Glad you found SR!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DeborahJO View Post
Hi,

Not sure how this site works yet.
I just wanted to share my story and hope to find support here.
I am a mom of two toddlers who I love dearly. I started drinking on weekends the past year...and in the last month realized I now binge drink. I cant just have one...it has turned from 3 to 10 in two weeks. I am afraid. Ashamed.
No one knows I have this problem.
I realize I need to avoid alcohol all together.
Today is my first day.
Any advice on how to avoid the cravings would help.
Very depressed
I have only been sober for three weeks so I am no expert. When I realized I needed to quit, I made a conscious decision to not drink. I realized I was unable to drink moderately and if I had a drink, I would keep on until I got drunk.

I spent hours on this site reading everyone else's posts and stories. The stories of people who had gotten sober were a great encouragement. I also began to slowly renew my faith in God which helped me.

I would highly recommend a book called Rational Recovery ( I got my copy through Amazon). I had to read it twice before it got through but it has really helped. There is also a good thread on this forum about a dealing With Urges.

You are making the right decision for you and for your babies. Good luck and God bless.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hello Deborah ,
Welcome to SR , congratulations on realizing you need to change , thats a big admition .

I don't have much advise about avoiding cravings other than trying to avoid obvious situations like going in a bar, into a place that sells alcohol, being in the company of drinkers or having any in your house .

I went to bed early and had a shower when mine happend at the begining , figuring if i sat through them they'd go away eventually , they did .. Some find AA meetings help , some use methods like AVRT (alcoholic voice recognition technique )

There is information here on methods :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

And here is some useful stuff on how people feel :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good luck with it , we're all here to support you and to share what we've experienced if it can help . keep coming back , read and learn ,

Bestwishes, M
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Deborah,

Welcome to Sober Recovery. Reading and posting on this site has helped me to stay sober along with the 12 step program.

CaiHong
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Welcome Deborah. Visit here when you have the cravings, join us in the chatroom. I'm a big AA believer and recommend that as well. Don't know if your spouse is aware, but telling them is a good start in getting support. Above all; take it one. Minute, one hour, one day, at a time. You are in the right place here at SR.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Deborah,I understand,also having a toddler and my binge drinking eventually became every day drinking.

I'd avoid having any alcohol in the house, urge surfing is great, the cravings do pass and lessen over time

SR has been a great source of support for me,I'd recommend you join the monthly class for people quitting this month where everyone is more or less at the same stage,plus the newcomers threads are fantastic.best wishes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Deborah,

This is my day 7. I remember wine as being almost a necessityto me when my girls were toddlers. I understand completely. Especially the dinner hour and bath time. You are so done in by then that you almost drink from the bottle - no glass needed.

Here's what I've done: I tell myself that TODAY I will not drink. I can't say I will never drink again, but I can say I won't drink today. And I've said that every day since last Sunday, and here I am. Mornings are wonderful. I am starting to feel happy without chemical inducement.

Instead of my beloved wine, I guzzle a lot of water and
herbal tea and honey, Decaf Espresso/cappucino, Perrier and lime.

Staying on this website for an hour or two and reading when the desire is really strong. Weight Watcher ice cream bars to calm the urge for sugar that hits now that I'm not drinking without blowing my diet. Getting back on the website every few hours or so and reading, reading, reading. Especially the thread by Eternal Q called what I don't miss about drinking. That's a great one. You'll laugh in recognition and be encouraged. It's easier when you feel you're not alone. Join the March class. We're all new and starting out together. We refer to ourselves as the Sober Marchers (har, har). You wanna come along?

Last edited by Branches; 03-09-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((Deborah)) - Welcome to SR!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone so much. It sure give me hope that I can succeed and make it through this difficult time. I felt pretty alone until today.
How do I sign up for monthly meeting thing
Old 03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Just post and join in

:- http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-2-a-2.html
Old 03-09-2013, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
DFU

I am the mother of two young kids and if there is anything that will stop me from taking that first and fatal drink it's them. Alcohol is so powerful, it wants to have it's way with you and it will if you drink. The key is just don't do it (easier said than done I know). As mentioned earlier take it hour by hour, find tasks to keep your mind distracted. A little candy might help or call another alcoholic if you know one. If not stay in SR, everyone on here knows and understands what you are going through. You want want to look into some kind of recovery program too; it has personally helped me tremendously!