Notices

New guy, same old story

Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations on 2 weeks sober (and welcome to SR)! It definitely takes a while to figure out the "new us".... but it sounds like you're off to a great start!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwoWheels View Post
I'm doing this for my wife first, me second. I would like to get to 6 months, then 1 year. I'm not sure I would be able to drink again without abusing.
I'm glad that you are sober now but you have to be doing this for your self also. What would happen if you and your wife start having problems? Then your reason is gone and then what about yor sobriety. Changing for other people doesn't work in most cases, BTDT and got the t shirt. Just my two cents on the matter. Don't take this to mean that you should discard the reasons that got you sober but look inside yourself and realize that it is for you too.

Welcome and glad you are here,

T
Old 03-10-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I see what you guys are saying about putting my wife first in my sobriety. I guess I meant that she deserves it as much as I do. She put up with years of **** while I was having a "good time". I want this, but I'm still craving the booze regularly. I LOVED drinking.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There is nothing wrong with using others as additional just make sure that you also remember that you are doing this for yourself first. Just think how great it has been to be able to really interact with your wife clear headed over the last few weeks. You are doing awesome and keep it up.

T
Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome! Im glad you are here.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Welcome to the community. It's nice to meet you. Please help yourself to coffee and cookies. =P
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ok, here comes the first real test. I'm going fishing with the boys this afternoon. I've already promised the wife I'll be good. Wish me luck.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hope fishing went well, TwoWheels, and you caught some gamefish in the mouth. (No snagging!) Anyway, one hurdle you need to understand is that life's challenges don't go away just because you're sober. You're going to have bad days. Life is going to suck sometimes. When those days arrive, I simply remind myself that they'd be even worse if I were drinking. You're four years younger than I was when I quit, so I'm jealous that you reached this realization at any earlier age. Milestones also can be challenging because no one is going to throw you a parade. I have moments, particularly around milestone/anniversary dates, when I wonder "Is this it?" in regards to sobriety. Treat yourself to some exercise, quality time with wife and kids, or otherwise improve yourself. Playing guitar, even joining a band the past year, has been my outlet. For me, there is no moderation with alcohol, and you appear to have discovered that about yourself, too. Don't take that first drink, and keep visiting SR for support. We'll try our best to throw you a parade here now and then.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks Freeport. Fishing was cool. We caught a million baby catfish and threw them back. Nobody brought booze and we had a great time. I guess it wasn't much of a test at all.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sounds like your friends are being very supportive. Good to have people like that around.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Coming up on two months and thought I would stop in to say hello. So far so good. I've managed to keep myself occupied during my trigger times with fishing in the evenings. I drink to much coffee, but it seems to keep me clean in the evenings.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Almost every recovering alcoholic I know drinks too much of something - just not alcohol. I have a theory that out chronic dehydration of our bodies amounts to, over time, an enormous capacity for fluids. I drink a large iced coffee in the morning, a bottle of plain green tea, 4 cans of seltzer and sometimes a huge mug of caffeine free tea each and every day. That's a lot of liquid. I've always been that way, even before I starting a using alcohol in my early 30's. Thankfully, I committed to sobriety on my 40th birthday and that was 8 months ago. But I'm still like a camel. My mother swears my father was the same way with all beverages, and guess what, he was an alcoholic too.

Go figure. LOL! The moral of my very long ramble is drink as much as you want of anything you want that doesn't have alcohol. In time, cutting back on caffeine and sugary drinks is a good idea but for the first few months quench that thirst.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Your testimony helps me stay sober another day! thx