Notices

New guy, same old story

Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New guy, same old story

Hi folks,
I'm not sure where to start so I'll keep it brief. I began drinking around 16 years old, I'm 35 now. Like most people, my habits took several years to develop into a serious problem. I considered myself a productive drinker. I never missed work but I couldn't stop drinking every night. Within the last few years, I began binge drinking several times a week. I blacked out regularly and my girlfriend (now wife) began to get pretty concerned with the situation. She stopped hinting about my problem about a year ago. Near the end of February (Saturday, 23rd), I was arrested for DUI. My wife and I agreed that now is the time to call it quits. I've been sober since then, but I understand the challenges ahead. I joined this forum to associate with people going through the same troubles as me. I'm looking forward to a sober life.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR TwoWheels

D
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Welcome! Plenty of people to share stories and get advice from here
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome TwoWheels! I'm so glad you've made this life changing decision. I wish I had at your age - I went on into my 50's trying to control what I drank. As a result, my life turned into a horror movie. This won't be you!

Congratulations for coming here and telling your story. It's not easy to do. This is a great place for support and encouragement. You can do it.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!
We're glad you found us and want to start a sober life Lots of support and information here.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, TwoWheels!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I've been sniffing around the sight to see what it about. It's nice to see that other people feel the same as I do. I feel like such a noob when it comes to sobriety. 10 days isn't very long at all
Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

10 days is a long time when you are starting out. Before I quit for good, I probably hadn't been sober 10 straight days in over 20 years.
Do you have a sobriety plan? Is your commitment to never have a drink again?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey two wheels, come and join us in the class of march 2103 class, we are all pretty much newbies there. Great support from those going through the same as you.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
10 days is a long time when you are starting out. Before I quit for good, I probably hadn't been sober 10 straight days in over 20 years.
Do you have a sobriety plan? Is your commitment to never have a drink again?
Duane, This is the longest I've gone in 20 years easily. I don't have a plan yet. I want a good beer so bad everyday I come home. I'm doing this for my wife first, me second. I would like to get to 6 months, then 1 year. I'm not sure I would be able to drink again without abusing.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chanty View Post
Hey two wheels, come and join us in the class of march 2103 class, we are all pretty much newbies there. Great support from those going through the same as you.
What class are you talking about?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TwoWheels View Post
I feel like such a noob when it comes to sobriety. 10 days isn't very long at all
Isn't it? It's eight and a half days longer than me! Good for you TwoWheels and welcome.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In this area TwoWheels you'll find a thread called Class of March 2013, I'm too new to post a link but it's in this section.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Big Book

Originally Posted by TwoWheels View Post
Hi folks,
I'm not sure where to start I'm looking forward to a sober life.
Hey two, here is a link to an Audio Alcoholics Anonymous Big Book. Take a listen. I would start with the Dr Opinion to learn about your alcoholism. It would be a good start. Scroll down once on page for audio.

http://www.recoveryzone.org/docs/bigbook.htm
Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Twowheels,

Congrats for being here and 10 days is alot! When I first got sober, 3 days was a miracle. I'm about 4.5 months in and I really do feel great, but that first few weeks was hell. I joined AA though - never thinking I'd like it and it helps alot alot! (I'm 31 so I'm around your age group and was a daily drinker for about 13 years. One thing - quitting for your wife is not going to work. Trust me. You've got to want to quit. I've tried hundreds of times and failed when I did it for my family or my boyfriend. then, my drinking turned into hiding it so I wouldn't **** them off which created a whole other **** storm.

Try going to a meeting...that would be my suggestion. Drinking is such a big part of our lives and our personas that you really do need others who totally "get it."

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This is the thread twowheels
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ch-2013-a.html
Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

Hey 2wheels; I'm sry u had 2 go thru that! I got my 2nd one in May & still waiting for trial to begin. But anyway, I knew had hit rock bottom when that happened so I joined AA(again) This time I was sick & tired of being sick & tired so I threw myself wholeheartedly to this wonderful program. My sponsor(very good man) took me on again & immediately I started on the steps & did my 90in94...that was my solid foundation coz I didn't want to drink again & go thru this pain again. The consequences for drinking always outweiged the pleasure of it(it takes a while & repeatedly as the big bk tells us alkis learn slow). I've been sober 8 mths & its getting better each day. I know evthg is not clear yet but I can go to bed w/ a clear conscious knowing I'm doing the next right thg coz if I don't, then nthg changes.But pls join an AA group, get sponsor, network of men who will support you, go to 2-3 mtgs a day if u can at the beggining, read 12&12 & other litreature(grapevine for eg)...Surrender to win! I wish I had some1 to tell me what I'm telling u but I'm glad I learned it the hard way so I NEVER forget...wish u the best & u're family
Old 03-09-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, tonight marks my first 2 weeks of sobriety. I've spent several evenings reading the forums and they truly do help. You guys are amazing. I've taken to drinking fresh ground black coffee while I'm on my computer (I used to sit here and get wasted on whatever). Things at work have improved and I've found myself taking on long-overdue projects that will make mine and my staff's lives much easier. My wife has been very supportive but is increasingly honest about how she felt the last couple of years dealing with my alcoholism. These feelings are not easy to hear, but I feel better knowing that she doesn't have to deal with the isolation of living with a drunk who was constantly checked out or passed out. I'm not sure how she feels about the "new me" since she has only known the "drunk me".
Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations TwoWheels

D
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you are here.