Notices

Defeated

Old 03-22-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Made it to 10 days today. Things are still rough, but I am seeing things around me with a clearer mind. Things that I used to take personally is not hitting me as hard as it used to. Turns out that every single thing that someone says is not necessarily a personal attack. Who would have thunk it???
Old 03-22-2013, 08:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Very true. Like a lot of people I have been where you are. Almost 7 months sober and I am just starting to put the consequences of my drinking behind me. In an earlier post you mentioned forgiveness. That other people will forgive you, which is great. The part I struggled with was forgiving myself. By the time my drinking got really bad I just thought I was nothing. I kept looking back at all the mistakes I made and so I could not move forward. Try to take some time to forgive yourself. I can be tricky but if you are struggling mention at one of your meetings and they may be able to help.

Ten days is huge. I am so happy for you. Like you said, keep your head up.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome Noexcuse-your addiction was in control and things ran amok. It sounds like YOU are now in control and taking the steps to turn things around. It can be done-there are hundreds of success stories here at SR and you can be one of them. Try not to focus on the negatives, and move forward clear headed. As fast as it all falls apart, it comes back together quickly too when you have some sober time under your belt.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noexcuse View Post
I am truly defeated. My drinking and getting away with everything for 17 years has finally caught up with me.
Welcome to SR!! You have found the greatest (and potentially life saving!) resource out there!!

You are not alone! We have all made mistakes, some worse than others. I can assume from your message that even though all heck broke loose, no one is injured etc??

When I walk right now, it amazes me that I am able to get from point A to point B, one foot in front of the other,
Then if that is what it take to keep you sober so be it! One foot in front of the other is a quote you will see here often - you are not alone!! You will reach a destination! Just go slow and be kind to yourself. You are in a fragile state now. Just try your best to sit back and look at all this from the outside. Know what you need to do to keep sober! Get as much info for what you need to know with the various legal issues etc. Take the energy you used in drinking and focus it on getting your life back!

And now I will jump off the pity pot. Time for this a-hole of a drunk to grow the f*ck up and start acting like an adult instead of a selfish child.
OMG! I said these almost exact words in my very first message when I joined SR!! Even though things look like doom and gloom, you have control if you stay sober! Staying sober will help you greatly. Your head will clear up, you will be able to focus on what has happened and how to get everything back under control.

Please get all the help you need from where ever you need it! Family, friends, legal aid etc. And please do not forget you have a great resource here! We are all in the same boat and we all want to see you succeed, we are here to help!! Don't forget to check out the rest of the site as well. There is lots of info!

Just remember, one foot in front of the other!! And please be kind to yourself. We all make mistakes, you have made some but now is your chance to make it right. YOU CAN DO IT!!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm drinking again. I have been for a little while. It's like I need a babysitter, someone to keep me from myself. First my parents left for vacation, and then my husband went back to work working overnights. It's only me and the kids in the morning, then I go to work, then it's back to only me and the kids at night. I'm on-duty from the time I get up until the time the kids go to bed. Once they are in bed, it's like I can finally turn everything to off and start drinking. In two weeks, my license will be suspended and then I'll be completely cut off from everyone on top of everything else.

I'm so sad and overwhelmed and lonely and broken. Nothing is OK. I decided to organize all of my papers into something more manageable... There are a total of six envelopes now. One for my DUI. One for my domestic battery charge. One for my Child and Family Services information. One for my substance abuse counselor. One for my regular counselor. And one for my workman's comp injury. Six separate folders to try and organize the total chaos and insanity that I have created in my life. Six separate folders that I have to work my way through, and soon I'll have to do it without even being able to drive. Everything feels impossible right now. This is the longest, darkest tunnel that I have ever had to travel. I feel completely alone.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

You are never alone here. You have many people who understand and can support you through this.

I know it seems overwhelming right now. But there isn't anything that drinking can't make worse.

Are you ready to try and quit yet? The obstacles you face are not going to go away, indeed they may well get a whole lot worse, if you continue to use alcohol to 'help' you cope....x
Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Put the booze down, no excuse, before you add a seventh folder. You can do this. Yes, it is hard, seems almost impossible, but you can do it.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Noones ever defeated until they decide to be.

If you feel alone maybe it's time to look for more support, noexcuse?

I don't think you need a babysitter, though - our addiction loves to put nice little 'if only I had...' dreams in our head... but the truth is, you can pull all this together...you have to.

It won't be easy but then neither is the life you're living now.

Make changes, get help: it's far from impossible

D