Notices

Help me understand opiod addiction please

Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Help me understand opiod addiction please

My best friend died 8 years ago after a long battle with opiod and alcohol. I watched her slowly die and for several years I was in a state of complete mental breakdown. Last year I was hospitalized and was diagnosed bipolar and ADHD as well as borderline personality and anxiety disorders. I am not addicted to anything but suffer daily from past drug abuse years ago that have affected my health. I have a new friend who seems to have an opiod addiction. I am very forgiving but she crosses the line, like asking my 20 yr old son to go to the streets to look for drugs. I tried to help her but she is all lies and nonstop dr apps and hospital ER visits, watching her behavior and withdrawal is painful for me. I really want her out of my life but scared she will try suicide if I am not her friend. What do I do? I have to move on now...
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you get your life in order the rest will fall into place.

I could not begin to straighten my life out without a recovery program and a great sponsor who served as a good example to follow.

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jeneca,
Welcome to SR.

You've come to the right place.

You might also enjoy the friends and family forum.

You aren't responsible for your friend and you can't make her do anything.
Feeling threatened that someone will hurt themselves because of anything you do is a pretty strong indicator of issues with codependence.

Your son is 20, and an adult but I'll tell you, even at 40 my parents behaviors have some influence on me. You keep this lady around and it sends the message that you don't see such a big deal about her asking your son to score drugs with her.

Check out the F&F forum here:
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

You might want to repost your question there so the F&F folks are sure to see it.

Read the sticky posts at the top and keep posting.
You'll get some wonderful advice and support from the people here.

Peace,
Hanna
Old 03-04-2013, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeneca - I agree with Hanna - if this person is sending your son out to score drugs, that would be an immediate game over for me.

D