Notices

This is just a test!!!!

Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
Just wanted to see if I finally logged on correctly and whatnot. I'm coming up on 3 years sober and life has never been better. I'm of the opinion that ultimately alcoholism/addiction is a choice and that the solution to overcoming this retched condition lies not in declaring that you are powerless but by embracing free-will and the responsiblity and ability to chart your own reality. This certainly goes against turning your WILL and your LIFE over to anybody or anything. That whole idea always felt intuitively wrong. I've learned to trust my intuition because in this case, it was dead on :-)
Congrats on 3 years you should be proud of yourself! I personally think that alcoholism is a disease, however, I do agree that drinking is a choice. We can choose to drink or choose not to. And yes I agree that we have to take accountability and responsibility for our actions. I don't get a free pass because I'm an alcoholic.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Freshstart, that locus thing was really interesting, thats why this site is so good, everyone gets to share their opinion. here is a link to the test if anyone else is interested. i scored a 4 , low meaning i am internal, not external. the idea of saying i was powerless over alcohol never appealed to me either.

Locus of Control
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Lady in BC. Yeah, I've internally debated the disease thing internally for a long time. There is no denying that years of alcohol abuse alters you neurology, etc... And I also believe that gentetically speaking, some people have a much greater predisposition towards addiction than others. But really, at the end of the day, for those who suffer from it, does it really matter? Even if it is a disease, it would be one of the only ones that you could choose to have disappear. That's where the choice part comes in.....
Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
2Cor5:17

I now hear people can get sober in other ways apart from AA...whatever rocks their boat & works, kudos. I'm glad God brought me to AA & AA brought me to God
Old 03-03-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Hey Lady in BC. Yeah, I've internally debated the disease thing internally for a long time. There is no denying that years of alcohol abuse alters you neurology, etc... And I also believe that gentetically speaking, some people have a much greater predisposition towards addiction than others. But really, at the end of the day, for those who suffer from it, does it really matter? Even if it is a disease, it would be one of the only ones that you could choose to have disappear. That's where the choice part comes in.....
I definately hear what you're saying. I come from a long line of alcoholics so I don't really know if it is genetic or a learned behaviour. I think it can be both. God knows I probably used the disease thing just to have an excuse to drink. Not probably, but did.

And you're right at the end of the day it really doesn't matter. I think us who do suffer from it just want the pain and the craziness to end!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Sugarbear,

Whether you turn your life over to God, the AA group (which is many member's higher power) or any other higher power, you are still surrendering your WILL. That is the definition of being POWERLESS. As far as everything happens for a reason. That's very romantic but sometimes YOU are the reason that some things happen. Other times things just happen because....
Yep !!!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:25 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

There is clearly more than one way up the mountain - and more than one way for each of us to plan our individual ascent.

Just a reminder to everyone

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice.

Support and experience only please.
D
Old 03-04-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
~sb

I am not powerless by any means.

Today I make a conscious decision not to drink or drug or mess up my mind and body.

Isn't that beautiful?!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I wasn't aware of that dee, thanks making the rules known. Not being cheeky, just curious as to why that's a rule ? Or is it just for the newcomers forum ?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

gratz
Old 03-05-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wasn't aware of that dee, thanks making the rules known. Not being cheeky, just curious as to why that's a rule ? Or is it just for the newcomers forum ?
That's a specific rule for Newcomers forum - but it fits in with our website ethos

SoberRecovery.com Forums General Principles

Tolerance: Please respect the rights of others to hold beliefs and perspectives, which differ from yours. Our Sober Recovery Forum members are of many nationalities, ages, and cultures. Healthy, vigorous debate will further our goals, but only when guided by the tolerance that springs from mutual embrace of mission.

Intellectual Freedom: Embrace diversity of practice. It is impossible to understand an action without first understanding the actor and their environment. Know that varied environments call for varied response. Your way may not be the best way.

Freedom of Speech: We resist censorship in favor of free speech. Within our forums, we support the broadest range of perspectives and expression, for it is the unification of diversity to cause that gives strength to our community. We are committed to equal opportunity. Influence and responsibility here are inseparable, and both spring solely from a demonstrated commitment to furthering the topics discussed in our forums. Bear in mind, however, that some language and conduct is still considered inappropriate.

Responsible Behavior: Your attendance here carries a responsibility. Ours is a mission of mind and perspective, and consequently, attention is our most precious resource. Do not waste what attention you may attract, nor seek to attract it with wasteful actions. Remember that personal worldview is a most powerful motivator; never treat another's lightly.
It's not a rule about stopping discussion, just stopping endless to and fro over recovery methods.

D
Old 03-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Fair enough !