Notices

First meeting

Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First meeting

I went to my first meeting last night. I did go many years ago but that didn't stick. It was a lot better then I thought it would be. This one was a small group of older people. We all got called on to share a little of our story. I shared a small bit but wasn't pressured to share more. No matter their age, I related to all of them. I'm going to try a few other types of groups to see what I like best. But I got phone numbers and schedules from people. People gave me advice after the meeting about certain meetings and how to help your self. It was very encouraging.
On the other hand, my boyfriend asked where me AA coin was. He thinks that you get one on the first day, like you see in movies. I didn't think you got one until after 30 days. Plus this was a very low income area and this fellowship is struggling for money. A coin is not a big deal to me but it might give him a piece of mind.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

not all groups have coins to hand out
Old 03-01-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

All the meetings I have attended hand out poker chips as their coins. 24 hours first time attendees that want to accept get a white one. No need to wait for 30 days for the first one. Walmart offers 100 chips white/red/blue combo for 6.99. Maybe a small donation could be taken up for that.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you keep going to the meetings and listening to those old sober folks... you will become one yourself.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-01-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

cool beans!!!when ya go to other meetings, keep yer ears open for yer sponsor.

on yer boyfriend, a coin may give him piece of mind, but the change that will occur to you as a result of the steps will be the best piece of mind he can give( theres actually bars that will give out a free drink to someone who drops an AA toked on the bar).
Old 03-01-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My guess is that your b/f wanted "proof" you had gone to a meeting.

As mentioned above, some groups do the coin thing and some do not. Every meeting you go to will be a little bit different and have its own "flavor". I had a great time my first year of sobriety trying out different meetings. Some I really loved, some not so much, but none of them was "bad".

Keep comin' back!