Notices

Have something "odd" that helps you stay sober?

Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Horse Racing.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have seen every episode of Law and Order at least twice...SVU, Criminal Intent, and the one with Jeff Goldblum too...also, the old show with Jack Malone the FBI agent(without a trace), Criminal Minds, NCIS and CSI Miami, but Horatio got too annoying.

I am known to pet the hair off the cats and the dog too...or I just grab one and groom them head to toe, clip the knots, nails, make them look nice. If the weather is good, I wash the dog with my expensive shampoo.

i love puzzle games and Words with Friends.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Since quitting ,

dvd box sets , department s , jason king , curb your enthusiasm , police squad , the mighty boosh , will hay 1930's uk comedian ,

Bought an x-box and played skyrim (dragons , vampires , skellingtons to hack and slay) mass effect 1 2 3 , halo 1 2 3 4 .

I Write music , play music and sing .

Sometimes listen to bhuddist lectures or the radio if i just want to lay down .

Real early on looking out of the web cam on the international space station just staring at the planet go past or watching the sunrise and sunset simutaneously on webcams around the earth .

Bestwishes, M
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I used to have a drink after work. So now about an hour before work ends and I'm closing, I play my favorite calming CD on repeat. The Lumineers. It's been pretty effective in keeping my mind at peace while I finish the hectic day. It has some love songs on it too so it makes me want to get home to my boyfriend. <3
Old 02-28-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can relate. I watched the whole 3 series of "Rosemary & Thyme" back to back every night. Used to look forward to watching them. It's a UK TV drama series btw
Old 02-28-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Downton Abbey for me
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
...than never

Yoga. Bonus is that my mood shifts too, but for a good reason now, not a dangerous one.
Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
I broke out one of my old computer games. I find running around slaying dragons to be quite soothing in the evenings.

Dragons. That reminds me, Game of Thrones is starting soon!

I listen to This American Life pod casts. I find the narrator's voice to be very calming for some reason and the stories are interesting.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My cat!

How did you know my cat was odd?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

After dinner I have tea, chocolate covered blueberries and play scrabble on line and I look forward to it all day!!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Love all your posts guys, gave me some great things to add! Coldfusion my cat is odd too lol But he's such a mush and he helps me too

Fandy I was lmao with what you said about Horatio...I can't take him seriously but it's good for a laugh lol Game of Thrones...i CAN'T WAIT!

Netflix was seriously my best sober investment thus far. I think I am off to check out some shows some of your recommended
Old 02-28-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Great thread. Listening to Buddhist monks on you tube, bringing lap top to bed (bed early). Was never on line so much in my life! Look forward each night to getting on line to SR etc. And oddly enough, am noticing the things I no longer do now that I'm sober (I've stopped listening to talk radio, which is odd for me, stopped watching certain tv shows that held my interest when drunk only) Interesting finding out the things that now interest me as a sober gal!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I have to agree with a lot on here. Downton Abbey, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and This American Life are all things I enjoy too. I also like the UK's "Peep Show" series and I recently went back and watched the original UK "The Office" which is amazing. The Walking Dead is a good show and so is Ripper Street.

I listen to podcasts almost every night to fall asleep, listen to BBC radio, low volume, and I'm asleep in no time. Zzzzz....