Notices

Have something "odd" that helps you stay sober?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Have something "odd" that helps you stay sober?

When I got sober back in September I had the typical insomnia. I would watch The Golden Girls on youtube and it would calm me for some reason. This became something I looked forward to each night.

When I relapsed in November, I ended up in the hospital for 5 days and remember crying myself to sleep and thinking I couldn't wait to get home so I could be in my own bed and watch my girls again.

It may sound silly but I was looking forward to that show so much and even more importantly thought about that rather than having a drink when I got out. Almost 4 months in, I still put them on every night. After I thank God for another sober day of course. No matter how bad my day is I know I will be able to relax at the end of the evening this way.

Anybody else picked up some new yet odd coping/calming skills after quitting?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's routine for ya. Comfort zone. I have found reading, just surfing the net before bed. Or tidying up the house, knowing its done. Odd no? Needed yes!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

well, i've been eating a lot of sushi lately, sometimes because i have the urge to go out (which for me previously meant going to bars).
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quitforme79, that's funny because my comfort show was Northern Exposure and Cheers, but Cheers features a lot of beer drinking and addictive relationship storylines, so I switched to streaming Murder, She Wrote on Netflix for those times I feel like cuddling by myself. It can be corny but Jessica Fletcher has great boundaries, is polite but firm, gives people the benefit of the doubt, searches for truth no matter what it may be, and has excellent deductive reasoning - all things that I want more of. And I like "Cabot Cove, Maine" (California coast).

And the Golden Girls is great too.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh I remember Northern Exposure! And of course Cheers, great shows Roseanne and the Wonder Years have been relaxing for me too. I think I will have to check out Murder she wrote. I do remember the show but never watched the whole thing. Thanks for mentioning this!
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think thats normal, We have given up our comfort/control (or lack there of) over alcohol.
I guess because I am no new to the recovery process & also in out patient treatment.
I haven't really been able to figure out what feels good/comfortable from my past that is healthy to do with out a drink in hand.

Hopefully I will find something like that too. Great question to ask, look forward to hearing others response.

Peace
~Jules
Old 02-28-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
now's the time

2 weeks in and I've been watching Netflix like it's my job.

I watched: all of Twin Peaks, amazing.
All of United States of Tara, which is about a woman with multiple personalities, which helped me be like "Yeah! I'm not letting my drunk personality hang around, either!"
Lots of funny shows like Parks and Recreation and The Office
Tons of the Walking Dead ("now that I'm sober, I could totally fight a zombie!")

I also downloaded The Sims. I don't usually play computer games, but making my little miniature alter egos do cool things that I'm still too tired to do myself makes me happy.

Also, I've been loving to pieces all of the fancy snacks and fancy teas that I keep on hand to take my mind off cravings.

And of course, reading just about every new posting on SR.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by quitforme79 View Post
Anybody else picked up some new yet odd coping/calming skills after quitting?
When I first quit I was obsessed with finding just the right mug to drink my tea from. I wanted a pint mug without a fat rim but not bone china. How specific is that. I have ended up with loads of flowery pint mugs

I also developed an obsession with hand cream. I don't know why, but I wash my hands a lot and it's something to do. I had given up smoking too so having something to do with my hands helped.

Good thread. I bet there's all sorts of non recovery based stuff that helps keep us sober. Now I'll have to add my dog, loads of tv shows and magazines that have helped keep me distracted.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Right now my comfort show is Law and Order:SVU. Don't know why, it's not like the story lines are exactly relaxing, but for some reason, every night I am finding myself watching an episode or 3. Hey, I'm still sober so I'm not going to mess with what works!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really like to watch documentaries that are free on YouTube. I usually just search for "documentary" or "BBC documentary" and that gets me started. Whether you're interested in 30,000 year-old cave art, nature, Pakistani politics, weasel racing or the history of cheese, there is something out there for you! I like to think I'm "educating" myself at the same time. I also like to watch any nature/wildlife show on TV, Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel always have great stuff.

I think I like shows about animals because I realize there are so many other creatures out there who share our world - and they have their own problems too! All of us earthlings are here together just trying to make it day by day, no matter what species we happen to be a member of.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I broke out one of my old computer games. I find running around slaying dragons to be quite soothing in the evenings.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

[I really like to watch documentaries that are free on YouTube. I usually just search for "documentary" or "BBC documentary" and that gets me started.

I've been watching youtube and BBC docs about prehistoric French cave art, conspiracy theories, Liberia, James Brown, hallucinogenic frogs, Native American history, Hammond organs, genocide, healthcare, kangaroos....
...and the great thing is I can remember it all for a change!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brazzaville View Post
[I really like to watch documentaries that are free on YouTube. I usually just search for "documentary" or "BBC documentary" and that gets me started.

I've been watching youtube and BBC docs about prehistoric French cave art, conspiracy theories, Liberia, James Brown, hallucinogenic frogs, Native American history, Hammond organs, genocide, healthcare, kangaroos....
I watched "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" with Werner Herzog, about those caves. UNREAL. I also watched Vice Guide to Liberia - CRAZY STUFF!!!

Sure is nice to be able to keep that knowledge and share it as opposed to forgetting it and waking up feeling sluggish and sick!
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great thread. Golden Girls, Murder She Wrote , Parks and Recreation and Sims game love the suggestions.

Happy Days and The Brady Bunch is back on those shows always make me smile.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

SVU is my favorite show!!! Great distraction from life, and I love the people on it. I also like to read and I am excited to save up for a camera to take kid and dog pics since mine broke.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brazzaville View Post

That's hilarious. I saw James Brown singing "It's a Man's World" with Pavarotti on YouTube and it worked like a charm.

I think it's illegal to own hallucinogenic frogs.

I knew someone who had a dog who would froth at the mouth. There was a concern that it had rabies but then the next day the problem was resolved, only to resurface again for a day at a time. They finally took the dog to the vet and determined that it had been going down to the creek and eating frogs.

I knew someone else who had a Boxer (dog). It got sprayed by a skunk and was clawing at the door. She opened it and the dog had a twisted grin on its face like the Nicholson Joker character from the Batman movie. She said, "we tried all the home remedies, but couldn't get the smell off."

Poor dog. Her husband at the time was from Lima. The dog had been raised by his family and left on the roof and fed yams exclusively. It was shipped to the States and when they opened the cage, he had a big smile on his face, despite having thrown up they yams.

The woman said, "Oh God, what have we gotten ourselves into? (Boxers aren't the most attractive dogs), but that dog doesn't have a mean bone in his body."

I miss Northern Exposure. Parenthood is my favorite show, and I think the guy who played the D.J. in Northern Exposure played the character Seth in Parenthood. I could be wrong about that.

I think he does some voice for radio commercials too. He bought Elvis' credit card at an auction for thousands of dollars, so he must be doing alright for himself. But I don't know his name, so I could be mistaken.

The last book I read was "The Buddha of Suburbia" and that was awesome. I read it in detox. There was nothing else to do. It was made into a BBC mini-series. If you're not a reading fan, it's definitely worth checking out.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm a fan of Law and Order or basically any police/law show on TV, lots of coffee (decaf too), ice cream, tons of magazines and books purchased from bookstore as well as on my Kindle, cuddling with my son as well as my dog, and cross-stitch/needlework. All of these have helped keep me in balance.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

When in doubt, I walk a dog...

Or hold one, or pet one, or groom one, or talk to one. I have six dogs, so they usually line up when they sense I'm struggling.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

oh Carl, dogs really are the best aren't they? I love my guy and he always is there with a snuggle when I need one. I wish I could take him everywhere with me.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great thread! I love to watch Dance Mom's and Honey Boo Boo.... And all the classics like Golden Girls, Friends and the King of Queens.
I have a couple of little dogs too who are my sober buddies. One of them I should have named shadow because he always around me, hears all my feelings, stories etc when there is no one else to talk to. Or even if there is.
Now that spring is coming, looking forward to going outside and puttering in the yard.