Notices

First Day

Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Day

Hi Everyone,

My name is Samm and today is my first day without alcohol (well it has been about 18 hours)
I am having a hard time admitting that I have a problem to myself and to others - I feel like a failure and a disappointment.
I have been drinking heavily for the past 3 years....trying to pretend that my crappy relationship isn't crappy....and finding any reason to excuse my behaviour. But I can't do it anymore - I want to be a whole and productive person again.
I do have a question - I am feeling restless tonight - I can't sleep, I feel anxious and the shakes come and go - is this normal?

I am so happy to have found this place - I have a feeling that the next few nights will be long ones.....
Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi sammi and welcome to SR.

Insomnia (unable to sleep) is very common when one quits drinking. So is anxiety. The shaking/tremors is also experienced by many however it's always a good idea to see a doctor to make sure you are detoxing safely.

It really depends on each individual, how much you were drinking on a regular basis and what you are detoxing from.

If you can't sleep and are anxious, hang around here and read some of the forums and threads.

Best to you.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response. I drank wine and I would typically drink anywhere from 4 to 8 glasses.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Sammi

What Received said

Anxiety and insomnia are all pretty normal - the shakes are pretty common but if you're at all worried about any of that, or something else, don't hesitate to seek medical advice.

I'm hoping this is the worst of it for you, but if anything does gets worse, the best thing to do is head to the ER, night or day.

D
Old 02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, Sammi.

You've received good advice. If you think you might need help, get help. Don't take chances.

I actually had trouble sleeping for a couple weeks after I quit. But don't worry about that; it's totally worth it. Times a million. Hang in there.