Notices

Back on valium

Old 02-12-2013, 12:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Last year I was prescribed a drug called propanolol for anxiety. after being on and off different anti d's for years and hating the side effects I much preferred this. Works pretty much instantly and there were no side effects for me. You know what I've written that and I don't know what a benzo is so hope not recommending another one! Def go back to your doctor tell them the full story and why you are unhappy with the valium script and ask for an alternative. Apologies for typos, using phone!
Thanks, never heard of it, I will ask.

To be completely honest.. I know the Valium is wrong for me. But my addict is happy. And for the first time in along time I feel ok. This sucks
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Murchovski View Post

Depends on a lot of things IMO.
Withdrawals are the pits, and slow tapers important.
Benzos, very light, if taken rarely, not in a group setting like alcohol,IMO is not the worst of options.
Getting down to the occasional, say 5mgs of valium, is far removed from 40 mgs a day long term, and all the withdrawal blues entailed there.
I was taking 50mg of Valium a day plus a stack of whatever opiates I could get my hands on just a few months ago and the benzo detox was the worst thing ever.

I can't take 5mg a day. I can't do it. I get some relief from one 5mg tab but it's not enough, I want to feel stoned. Stupid.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Def get back to the GP then MLC and be honest, just say you can't take them as you've had a problem with them in the past and you're not going to risk going there again. Once they have your full history they'll be able to prescribe something more suitable. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

For me I think I expected to feel better sooner and thought as soon as I stopped drinking I'd feel great. I'm at 66 days now and have good days and bad. I understand how you feel down and think its no way to live.I just keep telling myself that, for me, getting drunk every night is no way to live either. I'm a mum too and know me beinglike I was is no good for me or them. You deserve better than getting high and your kids and husband need you. It does get better but it takes time. You won't feel better overnight,it took us years to get here it will take longer than a few weeks to feel better. I hope you see your doc again and feel more positive today
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
Def get back to the GP then MLC and be honest, just say you can't take them as you've had a problem with them in the past and you're not going to risk going there again. Once they have your full history they'll be able to prescribe something more suitable. Hope you feel better soon.
Thanksz. I've got the problem now in that I like them. And I don't want to
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
For me I think I expected to feel better sooner and thought as soon as I stopped drinking I'd feel great. I'm at 66 days now and have good days and bad. I understand how you feel down and think its no way to live.I just keep telling myself that, for me, getting drunk every night is no way to live either. I'm a mum too and know me beinglike I was is no good for me or them. You deserve better than getting high and your kids and husband need you. It does get better but it takes time. You won't feel better overnight,it took us years to get here it will take longer than a few weeks to feel better. I hope you see your doc again and feel more positive today
Thanks. I don't knot what to do. My husband is ready to leave me. He can't say anything without begin frustrated or condescending
Old 02-12-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Valium to me was much like a marriage ..... easy to get into and quite difficult to get out of.

I was on it from 1974 to 1989 along with the booze.

It was only in surrendering to the program of AA that I was able to walk away from alcohol, Valium and tobacco.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midlifecrisis View Post
Thanks. I don't knot what to do. My husband is ready to leave me. He can't say anything without begin frustrated or condescending
Ah, Midlife. I've missed you, found you here. Struggling, I see. All you wrote I can so relate to, for as you may have read I'm in a similar place, having used and liking it. As you wrote, it provided a respite from the fight. Indeed I can relate.

So we haven't figured it out yet, and there we are. See it for what it is, step back and breathe, don't fight. Just look at it calmly. You sound in such a panic right now, it's hard to think straight. Of course harder still while under the influence, so best to scale back on that too. Midlife, the reality is we are addicts, and we use to suppress, because that's what we're familiar with and most comfortable in, not knowing another functional way.

I'm not about to suggest methods of recovery right now, standing on absolutely no solid footing myself.

What I will suggest, if I may offer you anything, is that you calm yourself mentally and acknowledge to your husband that you're having a problem. Don't respond to his anger or condescention, recognizing he's struggling too (I know that's hard, very hard, but really, for the best.) You are going to need to address your addiction and make some important changes, but you knew that already. Just haven't figured out how. I understand that. Honestly I do. Be open to making changes you want to make for yourself...but really, stop fighting it all right now. I'm concerned about you. Progress later, be stable now.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sure understand the feeling of wanting to be stoned and just not be present. I felt that way for many months during my drinking days and it's so hard to get beyond that. It sounds to me like you know you have issues you need to deal with and right now, the valium is preventing you from doing that. But, you also know that nothing will change until you address the stuff you have to deal with, and I know you can do that.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks all.

I'm in trouble. Bible study last night, my husband was embarrassed for me even to
Open my mouth. Can't function without it. Life feels so ouchy. If everyone irl would just leave me be and let me take it it would be ok hey. Who cares?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It sounds like your just in a rough patch right now. I always try to step back and take some deep breaths when I get into the "f it stage".

I can relate to getting a script of xanex, valium, adderall..basically anything that would change my mood and running to the pharmacy. I would rationalize it with well these aren't my drugs of choice, but deep down I knew I was just chasing a high, anyway I could.

One day I decided to tell all my doctors everything. This way, no matter what kind of drug it was, they knew not to perscribe it to me if it had any possibility of giving me any type of high. It was a hard thing to do, but I knew I had to put my foot down.

Antidepressants really helped me. I found that depression made my urge to use a million times worst and that once I got that under the control I could make better choices. The only part about antidepressants that I don't like is they can take up to a month to fully kick in.

Is there anyway to make an earilier appointment with the doctor then waiting the whole week? Maybe it is better to get it fixed now, rather than later.

hugs

Maylie
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

If everyone irl would just leave me be and let me take it it would be ok hey. Who cares?
You know this is not you speaking, right MLC?

D
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maylie View Post
It sounds like your just in a rough patch right now. I always try to step back and take some deep breaths when I get into the "f it stage".

I can relate to getting a script of xanex, valium, adderall..basically anything that would change my mood and running to the pharmacy. I would rationalize it with well these aren't my drugs of choice, but deep down I knew I was just chasing a high, anyway I could.

One day I decided to tell all my doctors everything. This way, no matter what kind of drug it was, they knew not to perscribe it to me if it had any possibility of giving me any type of high. It was a hard thing to do, but I knew I had to put my foot down.

Antidepressants really helped me. I found that depression made my urge to use a million times worst and that once I got that under the control I could make better choices. The only part about antidepressants that I don't like is they can take up to a month to fully kick in.

Is there anyway to make an earilier appointment with the doctor then waiting the whole week? Maybe it is better to get it fixed now, rather than later.

hugs

Maylie
I might be able to get an earlier appointment, maybe. It's hard out here. I'm just being completely honest, I just want to take the Valium. I'm scared more of running out . I don't want them to take it from me.

I thought I was doing ok but since I gace up thy last substance (alcohol) I have felt like dying. Everyday. Scares tembejeenzb out of ms. Fark
Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

You know this is not you speaking, right MLC?

D
Who is it!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's understandable that you are scared at the thought of being without the Valium. But, you can work your way through the fear and learn to deal with life without alcohol or drugs. It's your addict mind that is convincing you to hang on to the drugs at all cost. I hope you can get an appointment soon.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Gah sorry about the typos. Hubby now doesn't want to take my meds wants to see if can do it
Properly and have willpower. Ok
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Oh, I've been shoveling mud from my 25m pool all day and have now been told I've got no more work until September because there's too much damage. First world problems, whibge whinge
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Are you sure willpower is the way to go? Can you not return the meds to the doctors? Or flush them.

How have you been today? Apart from mud shovelling!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Willpower would be the way to go for those who have some (like my husband!) BUt not for me.

I can't bring myself to flush them. If I take them properly I feel good for the first time in ages.

If I take too many I make a fool of myself at bible study....

I am ok today. Had a few too many last night, woke up feeling still stoned but since having a coffee and one more valium I feel just right. BUt hey, we are supposed to be talking recovery here aren't we?

Found out yesterday my business is too flood damaged and I wont be able to open until September. I have 5 children but all this time at home is seriously not good. TOo much time in my own head.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 02-13-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think maybe I'm not ready for recovery. Maybe I shouldn't be even talking in here. I dunno??????????????????