Notices

Terrified!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jo, I don't have many posts so it should be quick to read through them. My 1st ever post was " drinker afraid to get a physical" I know exactly how you feel. I had discomfort in my liver area off and on for about 3 years. I stopped drinking, went to the dr......had bloodwork and everything came out fine and discomfort in liver area went away after approx 2 weeks sober.

I too was so afraid that I had done irreversible damage and I should have went to the dr so much sooner, I just caused myself much more anxiety than I should have.

Go to the Dr, early detection is best and I hope your results are similar to mine.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I had a few shakes last night for about an hr. This morning I feel ok just have hunger feelings. My liver is still annoying but far better than yesterday. So it will be almost 48hrs no drink soon.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Be sure that you tell your dr. Everything about how much you drank and why. Being a single parent is hard and you want to be fully present for your child. You can discuss this with your parents when YOU are ready, in a week or a month.,whenever.
I told very few people i stopped drinking and why.....over time it is not as big an issue as i thought it was. I just drink other liquids.
Be sure that you drink a lot of water the next few days and ask your dr. About taking a good b vitamin, the milk thistle and any supplements...there can be interactions with certain meds.
Most importantly,congrats on2 days of sobriety, keep posting and talk to us, we're here we care.
(You are the same age as my daughter)
Old 02-11-2013, 09:55 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

He said it is normal size. Probably just had an adverse reaction. That the pain today will be the chest wall because of that reaction. I can get bloods with my normal doctor but thinks I am ok but to take it easy. He thinks I am not having withdrawal because I can go gaps without drinking. Lucky escape but the wake up call I needed.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Now you do not need to be terrified to ask a doctor for help if you need it. Very many people do not get a 2nd chance as you have been given with your health....and I would like to commend you for realizing you do not want to live to drink. I did not stop until I almost 52 years old. Booze robs you of your looks, your energy, your happiness, your mind and body. You are smart to stop now. Take a picture of your face today and every few days or a week, you will be amazed at the difference as light comes back into your eyes ( I was anyway and the bloating diminished).

glad your stomach and pains have diminished. keep posting, talk to us for support & company.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am so happy that you got good news!!!

I agree that this is the time now to stop and you will be amazed at how fabulous you feel even after the first couple of weeks!!

We are here ! Keep posting!!! :-)
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you. It has a very lucky escape and I humbled by your support on here. Onwards and upwards.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Jo, nows the time to start planning your journey to freedom, from the drink.
Once wrestled with it'll be the best thing ever.
Glad you went to your Dr's.
Keep going and keep on here.
John
Old 02-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Glad to hear the encouraging news.

I agree, now is the time to take this wake-up call and RUN with it. What are you doing to stay sober today?
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you got reassuring news Join us on our sober journey!
Old 02-11-2013, 04:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi Jo1981,

I've always told doctors the truth and they tell me I'm an alcoholic. I know one person whose liver healed, but if you're worried about it, just go and be honest. You've already stopped drinking and that's awesome, so the worst a doctor could tell you is something to help your liver recovery. There's nothing to be scared about that.

The doctor is not going to report you to your friends and family. They already know you're an alcoholic anyway, so you've got nothing to lose other than missing out on the reassurance that your liver is on its way to repair and taking the proper measures to make that happen.

I wish you the best, because my liver has at times become so inflamed that it was up in my rib cage obstructing my lung capacity and ability to breath. To stop the physical discomfort I drank. How crazy is that?

I would recommend attending to any physical concerns, but also, keep coming back here as long as you need to. As Dee said, we've all been there and you won't find a nicer group of people.

When you're jonesing, it helps to talk to others who have been there, because normies have no clue about the irrational compulsion. Why you perpetually have the gun pointed at your foot.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Jo

Yes consult a Dr. Or call 911. Detox can be rough if you we're drinking that much. You may not have seizures but the other symptoms are very scary. They can help you do it gradually and safely.

Good for you for coming here and joining us!! You should get a plan in place. It will really help from this minute forward.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SophieB View Post
Hi Jo

Yes consult a Dr. Or call 911. Detox can be rough if you we're drinking that much. You may not have seizures but the other symptoms are very scary. They can help you do it gradually and safely.

Good for you for coming here and joining us!! You should get a plan in place. It will really help from this minute forward.
I can assure you that seizures (of the grand mal variety) are frightening experiences. For me, there was no forewarning at all. I just woke up on the street or on the floor with no memory of them at all. And I wasn't even drunk. It was just due to prolonged maintenance drinking, and on the first occasion, stopping cold turkey.

Unfortunately, when I went to detox, I only had the finances to afford the cheapest place. I would think that fruit juice is the best option, but they served Kool Aid. The rationale was that if your body is used to all the sugar in alcohol, it will help the withdrawals. Actually it did, but I suspect it was a cost consideration because the food was substandard. Not the best diet for getting healthy, but beggars can't be choosers.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the messages guys. Had a good day with my daughter making pancakes. She's given me her stinking cold though. Went shopping down the Supermarket and wasn't even tempted to go down the alcohol aisle.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That's sweet. I haven't had a pancake in a decade, but it sounds like it would hit the spot.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Shrove Tuesday Jo

D