Notices

1,5 bottle of wine every day for 2 years. Help!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1,5 bottle of wine every day for 2 years. Help!

Hi everyone,

I am drinking 1,5 bottle of wine every day. I wake up ok but after some time starting to shake. So I need more alcohol to be ok.

I started to drink in the morning also.. Please help me!!!!!! PLease!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I have been where you are. The only way to make it stop is to stop. Honestly, it is just hard but thankfully short lived.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Escapist,

Thank you so much for your support.... Really! Sometimes I even think that it is impossible. And sometimes I think that I am very slow and not focused at all. But then after when I drink wine everything is ok...

Im also afraid to go to sleep without drinking. Afraid that I will no asleep...

((((((((
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have to get through the early stages of stopping, there is no other way round it Iam afraid ...You can do it, read posts here , post and grind through the early days.

You have everything to gain, and you are absolutely losing nothing.

Good luck.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

madamwine, welcome to SR.

Wine was my poison also. When I quit for good, I wasn't drinking every day (was more of a binge drinker, drinking ridiculous quantities over a number of hours) but there were periods during the time I drank where I drank every day. I decided that drinking every day was not good for me, and it scared me, so I told myself I'd only drink in social situations. This turned out to be infinitely worse for me as I drank and drank during those situations and made a fool out of myself. From my point of view, the only solution to ceasing drinking problems is ceasing drinking. Completely.

It is a daunting prospect. When I first quit, I was sad and scared. I hated alcohol, but I also hated the thought of never having a drink at a party, or not being able to toast with champagne. I thought of all the things I'd miss out on... and not what I'd be gaining. The reality is that quitting drinking has given me back the real me. I am now fulfilling my dreams... I am reliable... I am kind... I am able to help others... I am able to feel a sense of pride in myself, and best of all - I am stable. My life has improved so much so that sometimes I can't quite believe it.

I'm telling you all of this because I know that right now the thought of quitting for good is a scary thought, but just know that your fears are probably only based on the fear of the unknown... all those thoughts which are trying to tell you that life without alcohol will be terrible... they just won't come true. Life without alcohol is fantastic, you just have to give yourself the chance that you deserve.

I hope you stick around - this place is a wonderful source of support. There is so much to be learnt here and a massive amount of fantastic people who will be there for you in your times of need.

You might want to talk to your doctor about what you plan to do and tell him/her how much you've been drinking. Withdrawal can be tough for some.

Wishing you all the best. Believe in yourself - you can be sober! (and enjoy it, too - honestly!)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome madamwine!

It's miserable being stuck in that vicious cycle, afraid to keep drinking but afraid to stop, too. I became a nightly wine drinker as well and it made me into a depressed, anxious person.

I agree with MrsKing, that you may need some help detoxing. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess with. Most of us experienced some insomnia at first, but it's only temporary (you'll actually end up sleeping better than ever once you get through it).

Keep reading and posting - We're glad you're here!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear MrsKing,

Thank you for your sharing. You are very right, I am afraid that my life without alcohol will be terrible... That my thoughts in my brain will kill me and people around will not like me as I am a very serious person and I am more funny and cute when I drink... I always have the tea bottle with wine in my purse so I can drink everywhere. It doesn't affect my work but I realized that I can't even live one day without wine....
Old 02-10-2013, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Madamwine, I had the very same thoughts that you are having. I couldn't imagine getting through a single day or evening without drinking and I drank every day. Finally, my health was being seriously affected and I knew I had to stop drinking, no matter what. It took a leap of faith and I wasn't sure things would be okay, but I knew wouldn't survive if I continued to drink.

You will be surprised that you can learn to live your life without alcohol. Do check with dr before stopping drinking though, because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You CAN live one day without wine. Believe me, you can!

I used to think that if I was a sober person nobody would like me and would think of me as boring. I was so worried that I would lose friends and lose my social life. I too am a 'serious' person and when I drank I lightened up... but for what? My mental health was a total mess! I lightened up for the short time I was drunk (until I got too drunk, of course) and then was back in my nightmare the next day... it definitely wasn't worth it.

I really think seeing your doctor would be a great first step. It won't be as scary as you think it will be, and I am sure they will really help.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madamwine View Post
It doesn't affect my work but I realized that I can't even live one day without wine....
I thought the exact same thing when I was drinking.

When I sobered up, I realized that I had only fooled myself.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey madamwine, glad you found us. Many can relate to you, including me. I hope you keep coming back and give sobriety a chance. You have tons of support here and YOU CAN DO THIS!! You probably won't get a lot of sleep at first, but after a week or so you'll be sleeping like a log.

Also, if you're going to quit, I hope you'll talk to a doctor, maybe consider going to detox? Quitting can be dangerous, and we want you to be safe. Please don't be scared, many of us have been there and being on the other side is the greatest reward.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just a note to be careful about those shakes and withdrawls. I had shakes like you (but I was drinking vodka) when I stopped drinking. I had been drinking heavily every day for 2-3 years. When I finally did quit, I had withdrawl seizures that put me in the hospital. In no way do I advocate "tapering", but if you are quitting maybe you should talk to a doctor, just in case.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is so nice of you all here for your support! I never thought that I would find so much support. As nobody knows I am drinking..

I want to drink tea and coffee in the morning so bad... but drink wine.. Thats a terrible thing!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Do you live alone? Sometimes that is a key in figuring out which steps to take!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

yes, I live alone
Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome madamwine,
I love your user name....wine was my thing too. I quit drinking last June, but was pretty much a daily drinker too...it helped me relax.....or so I thought. I agree with seeing your doctor first....it's a great place to begin, and will reassure you.

When I stopped drinking these are a few things I noticed and what helped:

I was agitated.....taking walks, being out of the house when I normally drank, helped.

I had a little pity party...poor me...no wine! I indulged in some special treats for myself...nice bubble bath, good smelling candles, cozy jammies, refreshing non -alcoholic drinks.

I craved sugar. Well, that was easy and oh so delicious problem to solve

Keep posting. We really do understand. You can do this
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Reassurance

Hi....I saw myself in ur post. Only I was drinking even more than that at the end and also taking xanax. Wine was my drink. After my divorce, and over a 5 year period, it gradually became more and more and with the help of my doc I also had the xanax readily available, which cured the shakes the next morning. Ahh.....the only way to stop is to stop. I went to the hospital to detox....you may want to do that. Stopping alcohol or benzos abruptly can be deadly. You have to feel it though. Going through the pain of withdrawal will help to avoid a relapse. I was so sick at the end. I never wanna go back there. Please check into all of your options, be safe, and know that there is a way out. If I can do it, so can you.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Wine was my drink too. 1 bottle a night in the week,more at weekends. I wanted to stop but wanted to drink too. The thought of being without was so scary, It's hard at first but you get through it and it gets so much better. Now I sleep better, look better,lost weight,feel less nervous, less shy,anxiety lifted, feel like a big weight has lifted.My life is lighter and less tense, not full of fear anymore .I'm 64 days in.you can do this
Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome madamewine

Some great advice here - like the others here, I see a lot of myself in your story.

You can make changes and you can turn your life around from your position - I know because I did it.

Seeing a Dr is a good first step, and reading and posting here as much as you like will give you support, and a few ideas on where to find more support if you need it

I know it's scary, but believe me its not as scary as the life you're leading now - you'll be ok

D
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too rhorho

D