Notices

Recyling those bottles!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recyling those bottles!

I have a recycling container that is very big and smells like booze. I almost have a month without alcohol and I haven't washed it out yet.
but I saw it today when I dumped my Peligrino bottle into it.

I saw the funny poster I had stuck to it. Its a picture of the DosEquis Suave guy on the commercials holding a beer and the quote is
"I don't always take the recycling, but when I do I look like a raging alcoholic."

I still think its funny....but not as....I see myself kinda sneaking over to the recycling center at off peak times and barely being able to lift the thing over my head to dump out. The very loud waterfall of breaking glass always rattled my addled brain and hangover.

I think I make remove that poster now.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

It never bothered me to recycle beer bottles. I used to go around to all my drinking buddie's house's and fill the bed of my truck TO THE TOP! Reflecting back on that.... I must have looked like a RAGING Alcoholic!

These days my bins are filled with Crystal Geyser Juice Squeeze and Vitamin Water bottles. I also have a HUGE stack of 2.5 gallon Water bottles and not a single beer bottle.....
Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Humor

Pataphor,

Humor and gratitude are two very powerful tools and it seems that you have both. We are glad that you are here.

Love

CS
Old 01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The best story I ever heard was to take all the booze bottle recycling and put it out in front of your neighbors house. Would not want the trash man to know you were an alcoholic. When I was told this I said, "That is a stroke of Genius"

Oh the things we do
Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love that - we should collect the stories - humor is good medicine!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

We always let the glass build up because you have to drive for that, the city picks up everything else. A couple weeks into sobriety, I took my three months worth of jars... And mostly beer and wine bottles (yes.... It was a lot!).

When I put it next to the bin on the ground, because you have to on a weekend since they are stacked to the brim, a little old man asked me for help to stick his pickle jars in. I put his box on the ground next to my giant stack and he said, " I am very offended that everyone in this town is partying and I didn't get one invitation!" Lmao
Old 01-29-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i have a huge 35 gallong recycling can with wheels....that sucker was HEAVY filled with wine bottles..i live in a townhouse development and the recycle man comes once every 2 weeks.....had to move the can from back deck to street across the lawn.

these days i line it with a clear giant plastic bag and can lift the recycling out with one arm...cat food tins and seltzer bottles weigh next to nothing...occasional glass pasta sauce jar, that's it.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I see a recycling metaphor looming here!
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

when i first joined SR (Feb. 2010)...there was a thread called "changing up liquor stores" where we discussed various recycling/hiding in depth.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never recycled bottles. In fact I didn't even put them in my own bin. I'd put them in my bag and throw them in the bins on the street on the way to the corner shop.