Notices

Alternatives to 'I'm an Alcoholic'

Old 01-28-2013, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alternatives to 'I'm an Alcoholic'

What are some good alternative terms to use when going to an AA meeting? I might go with a friend to visit what he calls his "home group". I'm just not confortable using the term 'alcoholic'. It seems too disgusting and degrading. Could I just say "Adam, non drinker"? Would that work?
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Is it a closed group? I don't know the etiquette of AA, but I'm sure a lot of folks will chime in in a minute
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Is it because you don't believe you're an alcoholic? Or is it because you just have a problem with the term? You could always say 'problem drinker'....

Natom.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

You don't have to say anything if you don't want to.

But if you are an alcoholic, you better come to terms with it. Acceptance will further your recovery.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't make an issue of it.
"My name is Adam, and this is my first time at a meeting"
No bother.
Don't say,
"My name is Adam, and alcoholics disgust me."
That was a joke.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You can say 'my name is xx and I'm hear to listen'

You can also say that along with 'i'll pass' if they are reading from the book around the group.

S x
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've heard some say, Hi, Im ___ and I'm
a drunk. Even tho I say, Hi, Im Sharon and
I'm an Alcoholic, I also knew I was a drunk too.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you're not an alcoholic, and are just attending an open meeting, then you don't say anything. But if you're an alcoholic, then saying it is a huge step. Don't forget, you're in a room full of alcoholics...so they get it! No need to feel any discomfort or shame in that room. You're one of them, no better and no worse. There is no shame or disgust in having this disease. If you were a diabetic, would you go to a support group and say you were a "non-sugar eater'?
Old 01-28-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

He in so cal in order to "participate" at most meetings you must identify as an alcoholic. You are always welcome to stay and listen. I don't know how it works in other places... I agree with a lot of what has been already stated...
Old 01-28-2013, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
AA member

No need to call yourself anything you are not comfortable with.

I was happy to call myself an Alcoholic,it was a posh word to me,I just considered myself a drunk.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't use the word alcoholic. I tell my Doctor and my SR friends that I'm an an addict in recovery.

If I were in AA, I'd say I've an alcohol dependency that is in early remission.

Talking to my wife, I use the phrase ' I was a drunk.'
Old 01-28-2013, 05:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by adamjet View Post
I'm just not confortable using the term 'alcoholic'. It seems too disgusting and degrading.
I am curious as to why the word repulses you so much. There is uncomfortable, and there is feeling disgusted and degraded. No need to answer, but I haven't encountered an alcoholic be so not endeared by the term. Nonetheless, it's absolutely up to you how you want to identify, whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The only time where it matters at ALL why you're at an AA meeting is if it's a closed meeting. Closed meetings are open only to those who are alcoholics OR someone concerned about his/her drinking (however they would describe it). Open meetings are open to family, friends, anyone who is interested.

You can just give your first name, or say your name and that you're concerned about your drinking, or whatever seems most comfortable. I don't feel in the least uncomfortable identifying as an alcoholic, because the Big Book defines it as someone who has an obsession to drink when he or she isn't drinking, and has the craving for more once any alcohol is consumed. That pretty much describes me, so I got no problem with it.

A lot of people have this image of "alcoholic" as being some skid row bum. All it means is that you have an abnormal reaction to alcohol. No moral judgment implied. And everyone at the meeting uses the term that way, too, so it isn't as if anyone in the room will be looking down on you!
Old 01-28-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I say I'm an alcoholic. In a way it was kind of liberating admitting it.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have seen a few in the groups I attend say " Hi my name is ________ and I am powerless over alcohol" a couple even add drugs to the end of this. I have also heard those who state their name and state they are recovered from alcohol, I do find that one a bit odd especially when I here it from someone with less than a year of sobriety but he it's their life not mine. I personally say I'm an alcoholic. There is one person that will not say their name at meetings or prior to readings sometimes. They say that it is a personal choice and since it is Alcoholic Anonymous that if they choose to be anonymous then their choice should be respected. I have also seen people who just introduce with their name only. It does not matter to me at all. To me it is a personal choice and only you can make that choice.

I personally would not choose to use the powerless of alcohol one because I am not powerless. I had the power to quit drinking and at the end of the day I am the only one with the power to stay that way. I wasn't powerless when I was drinking no one tied me down and force fed me. I do rely on my higher power to give me strength and guide me but the ultimate choice lies in my hands.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Perhaps you could say "I'm Adam and I have a desire to stop drinking."
Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just your name is good enough.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Im an alcoholic and an addict. I just say 'im Fallow and Im an alcoholic'.

I have a drinking problem, if theres a word or words I can say that will keep me sober... Then sign me up!

If I didnt have a problem, Id say my name and leave it at that.

Either way you are not signing up or committing to anything.

Good luck
Old 01-29-2013, 05:18 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Personally I call myself an alcoholic because I prefer it to, "Complete idiot who wasted 20 years of my life, seriously damaged my body, hurt all those that loved me, and lucky to be alive."

I am an sober alcoholic but I never want to forget where I came from and am capable of going back to
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Personally I call myself an alcoholic because I prefer it to, "Complete idiot who wasted 20 years of my life, seriously damaged my body, hurt all those that loved me, and lucky to be alive."

I am an sober alcoholic but I never want to forget where I came from and am capable of going back to
It is shameful to admit to... took me long enough.
Whereas now I see it like you, it sounds pragmatic but there it is.