Notices

Comparing addictions/docs. Attitudes changing?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Comparing addictions/docs. Attitudes changing?

I wasn't sure what section to put this in. Somethjng I've pondered for awhile now....

When I did rehab 13 years ago, there was a real sense of people competing to be the worst addict if that makes sense. Like the heroin addicts would look at speed addicts as if they didnt have a real problem (and at the time would actually verbalized it)....and you weren't a real addict if you didn't use needles.....or marijuana wasn't a 'real addiction'. Alot of addicts thought AA was full of sleazy old men and alot of alcoholics thought NA was full of people out to mug your grandma. I remember being shocked and saddened by the need for people to compare and assume. I couldn't understand it but it definitely existed. I believe at the time there was a heroin drought in Australia and it was only just then that amphetamine use was picking up so there may not have been a huge understanding of addiction to them. At the time I think pot was also considered 'non addictive' by many....

What I've been encouraged by since coming to SR is that there seems to be so much acceptance of others problems and the common thread that we are all addicted and it is screwing up our lives (or part tense for those well into recovery.)

Has this attitude changed (or do you believe it never existed?) Or do you think or is SR just an awesome, accepting community?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think there used to be a real sense of disdain in AA for other kinds of addicts--that attitude has largely changed as a result of more and more dually (at least dual--I'm talking alcohol and other drugs) addicted people coming into AA. There are still a few people around who exhibit that kind of bias.

I do, however, agree with the idea that when you are in AA you should share about alcohol, and minimize any discussion about other drugs. That's just for the practical reason that alcoholism is, at least in some respects, different from other addictions--including the fact that it is legal, and that certain kinds of problems crop up more often with alcohol than with other drugs. So the primary purpose of AA should, IMO, remain focused on alcoholism.

I can't speak for the caste system among addicts who use other drugs. I suspect there is one, though--there are always those who seem to have the need to be superior to, or dismissive of, others.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah. I have no opinion as to what should be shared in AA. I've only ever been to a couple of AA meetings and that was years ago. I stuck to NA.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So far I have been pleasantly surprised by how the drug topic is handled in AA. Weed and other random drugs have been a part of my path so far and I have mentioned them from time to time as have others. I don't think its a good idea to completely ignore drugs if they have been part of your past but I respect the concept that it is alcoholics anonymous and the focus is alcohol.

Maybe I'm nuts but I swear drugs are more common in my generation (I'm 27). I haven't met a single person at AA under about 35 years old who hasn't done some drug other than alcohol. At the same time I don't hear much drug talk from anyone over 35.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ohio1 View Post
So far I have been pleasantly surprised by how the drug topic is handled in AA. Weed and other random drugs have been a part of my path so far and I have mentioned them from time to time as have others. I don't think its a good idea to completely ignore drugs if they have been part of your past but I respect the concept that it is alcoholics anonymous and the focus is alcohol.

Maybe I'm nuts but I swear drugs are more common in my generation (I'm 27). I haven't met a single person at AA under about 35 years old who hasn't done some drug other than alcohol. At the same time I don't hear much drug talk from anyone over 35.
I'm nearly 35 and most of my friends are over 35. Dunno. From my past, ie. everyone I went to school with has done drugs to some extent but my current group of friends, I'm pretty much the only one who has even touched anything!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think it's interesting how alcohol is a drug and yet you always hear people say "drugs AND alcohol".
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's just that people automatically think heroin, speed, pot Etc when they hear the word drug....it's just why springs to mind. Def agree that alcohol is a drug!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Night owl

Yeah, I think the more society recognizes and accepts that alcohol is a heavy duty drug, or at least can be for some, maybe the distinctions will disappear. However, since alcohol is legal and other substances mostly are not, with the exception of marijuana in some U.S. states, I think that does create differences in how alcohol addiction plays out.

I don't have a lot to compare to, but I think that SR is definitely incredible in the fact that people really just care about helping the next person and not trying to be the top addict on the heap. Sometimes it's useful to talk about how much/how we used, either for ourselves or others, but that's just it--it's helpful and relevant and useful. It's really a pretty cool place, acceptance and help seem to be the overriding and underpinning themes here. Awesome.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Agree. This place seems very accepting. I'm sure there are alot of thoughts that aren't said but overall I think it's great and has a really good atmosphere.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

SR is definitely a very supportive environment.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
I think it's interesting how alcohol is a drug and yet you always hear people say "drugs AND alcohol".
Heh, in many of my meetings, people refer to the others as "dry goods."

Yes, alcohol is a drug. So are caffeine and nicotine, but most people, when they talk about "drugs" are talking about other drugs. Just using the vernacular.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I haven't run into this. Not at daytox, AA or WFS meetings I have gone too. We all talk about our addictions, but no one seems to make it a competition.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyinBC View Post
I haven't run into this. Not at daytox, AA or WFS meetings I have gone too. We all talk about our addictions, but no one seems to make it a competition.
Awesome!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

When I was in rehab (all alcoholics) groups didn't focus on how much or how long you'd been drinking so there was no competition in that sense but I did experience a few people who seemed to doubt I needed to be there or were surprised I got funding as I only drank daily for 7 months and only two bottles of wine most days (a litre of spirits on the other days). It's something I struggled with quite a lot. I didn't feel "worthy" of the funding and questioned whether I was a "real" alcoholic. That said, when I did my consequences assignment and detailed all the problems alcohol had caused me (including the years when I was mainly only drinking at the weekends) everybody seemed more able to accept just how much drinking had taken away from me.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I guess it just comes down to knowing and remembering what havoc life became or was heading too. We are all on our own personal journey hey.