Notices

Friendly Reminder

Old 01-25-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This topic came up at a meeting I was at today. Actually, the theme was "signs of impending relapse." But the main danger signs mentioned in the reading were intolerance, pushiness, and egotism. In the discussion that followed, several of those who were called upon mentioned the same things we are discussing here at SR: that even if you KNOW (brand X) is the ONLY way to recovery, be careful how you approach newcomers even if they are sitting there at a (brand X) meeting.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Cf, that could be a sticky.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, even "XX" only says that it is the "only way" for SOME people. And it's left to the reader/potential member to decide whether he or she falls into that category.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

There are definately other programs and ways that work. People have to find a way that is right for them. There are things I did that didin't work and things I did that did. Everyone has to find their own path.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

This was our daily reading:

WORDS / APPRECIATION OF OTHERS

Words have great power, and should be used carefully. Aloha, for example, should not be seen as just a frivolous tourist greeting. Alo means the bosom of center of the universe, and ha, the breath of God, so to say this word is to appreciate another person's divinity.

--Nana Veary, Hawaiian Kupuna

"To appreciate another person's divinity".... it hardly seems that anything more needs to be said. What an act of grace to recognize and appreciate another's divinity. How our world would change with that one small act.

Rarely do we stop to realize the possible implications and / or repercussions of the words that issue from our mouths. We need to be responsible for what goes on in our mouths, and we need to be responsible for what comes out of our mouths. The second is much harder.

May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart appreciate the divinity in everyone.

Anne Wilson Schaef, Native Wisdon for White Minds, Ballantine: 1995.