Notices

codeine withdrawal

Old 01-22-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

codeine withdrawal

I'm completely new to this. I am 27 and studying biomedical sciences and have been on and off taking codeine phosphate 30mg tablets for back pain. At first it was purely for the pain and then I fell into a routine and found that I was taking them because I really liked them. By the end of a year long addiction I have decided that I don't want them anymore and wish I'd never gotten involved with them. I was on around 300 - 500 mg a day and I gave up taking them 3 days ago. I am experiencing some rather nasty withdrawal symptoms (cold sweats, insomnia, restless legs, extreme goosebumps in temperature change, crippling depression, dizziness and a supreme lack of concentration) these have steadily been getting worse since I stopped and are showing no signs of slowing. I'm getting the feeling that I could scream, but I do not want to take anymore! I have seen a varying number of details on how long these feelings will last, some say two weeks and some say up to four months. I feel utterly alone and worthless at the moment and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, I hope this doesn't last too long....I'm really desperate for help
Old 01-22-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Phil,

Welcome to SR.

There's lots of good info and support here.

Have you seen a doctor?

Have you thought about joining Narcotics Anonymous?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm kind of scared to speak to the doctor for fear of the stigmatism. The chances are that he/she is completely aware already considering the amounts I have been getting.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Way too many people are also in your situation.

I personally recommend a detox or rehab program, followed by 90 NA meetings in 90 days. Another alternative is to drag yourself through years of half-efforts and misery.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If they are aware they have been giving you the drug then there's nothing to be afraid of. Even if they didn't know there's nothing to be afraid of as they've seen it all. Your studies in the medical field should tell you that. We can't give medical advice here so if you feel your symptoms are bad enough you should see a doctor. They would much rather give you a preventative treatment than find you in the ER or worse.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I am quite following the last part of that? years of half efforts and misery?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

scott, I'm sure they have seen it before. I study viruses and various other pathogens, I'm totally unclear on addiction. I will make an appointment with the doctor tomorrow and I'll talk to him directly about everything.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by phil123 View Post
I'm not sure I am quite following "years of half efforts and misery?"
I suggested a program which is guaranteed to keep you off drugs for the duration of your detox or rehab program. Your continued sobriety could be assisted by daily NA meetings.

I believe if you do not seek professional help, and do not follow up with daily recovery efforts, then you are likely to relapse and be miserable, possibly for years.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Being Present

While we were working we used to have meetings once a week. I used to tell them about work. I'd say, you have to have your mind on what you're doing at all times until you finish a job or you will get hurt. Carelessness is what hurts people. makes accidents. As long as you're working at something that is real dangerous any time you go think about something else you sure will get hurt. You can move any heavy object like house or ware house or fish wheel, but you got to have your mind on it. - Goodwin Semaken, Sr., Eskimo/ Indian Elder
Yukon Territory, Alaska

Attention, presence, and noticing are all a part of living in the present. How often we try to do things with half a mind or half a heart! How often we believe that only a piece of us should suffice. We attempt to have intimate relationships in form only, and not in presence.

When we are not present to our situation, we set ourselves up to be injured, whether physically, emotionally, socially, or spiritually. Spiritual injury is progressive. It may not show as much as physical injury, and it is cumulative.

** My lack of presence is an insult to those I love. Including myself. **

Anne Wilson Schaef, Native Wisdom for White Minds, Ballantine: 1995.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There is a group in the UK that are on the internet and I think they are called 'codeine no more'.
Have a google and see if you can find them.

They can offer advice on tapers and stopping.

A taper is where you gradually cut down.
And the other way is just stopping.

I did cold turkey off another drug, that too was prescribed by my GP.
I probably should have asked for help, but at the time, like you I knew nothing about addiction.

I took a week off work and prepared myself.
I had sweats, felt muddled, restless legs - I generally felt like I had flu.
After a week the physical symptoms went, but mentally I felt a bit fragile.

I think talking to your doctor would be a good idea.
This often happens with long term prescriptions for co-codamol.
Codeine is a weak opioid (morphine is a strong opioid)and there are withdrawals if it is used long term.
Its the reason why drugs like nurofen plus have to have a statement of 'long term use can cause addiction'.

It might be worth discussing with your GP treatments where there is no addiction, like diclofenac, ibuprofen etc. Don't be ashamed. These things happen with pain management.

Stay here and read and post. People learn by sharing experiences. And its nice your here too! I'm in the UK too.

I think there was a british comedian who was addicted too, maybe nurofen plus though.
And if you look at the stats for France they have some interesting facts bout co-codamol and addiction.

I wish you the best