Notices

Drug addict hiding out in AA

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drug addict hiding out in AA

Greetings everyone. Today is days 2 sober, and my first post. I often go on another forum for OxyContin, which is 90% active drug users, i would just go on there when I was high or bored or withdrawing. Nevertheless, seeing as though I'm very serious about getting sober and for good, I thought I would switch forums. I've been on this forum before but never posted. Anyways, a little about my self. I'm def have a desire to stop drinking and obvious all drugs. I've been in/out of AA for close to 3 years with 6 mo 1x, 4 mo 1x, and a month here and there but never long term sobriety. I have expierence many promises in the big book during the periods of sobriety. I am very pro big book/ 12 steps.

Anyways, I have been given a very low dose of suboxone (1mg in am, 1mg in pm) from a dr (who I think is great), and that will last a week. Then I will have 5 days of no suboxone, however he did prescribe me .5mg klonopin, 2x a day for the 5days after suboxone. Them after the 5 days after suboxone, I will begin naltrexone pill at small does for 3 days and then I get the injection which lasts a month. Anyways, I have never been this excited or hopeful about sobriety.

As well as doing these meds, I will be in intensive out patient 4-5 a day, 4x a week for at least a month. I would be interested in doing it longer but it's a cognitive therapy approach and not 12 focused. Anyways, I am rambling bc I am very excited and hopeful about my road ahead. I have always been happy in sobriety And I can't explain my relapses really. I essentially strayed from God and listened to myself/my disease. Anyways, I probably posted in the wrong area. Does anyone have any advice where a person in my situation would find the best information on this site?
Anyways, thanks for listening and I hope to hear from all of you sooner or later
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm a sober opiate addict and alcoholic who attends AA. I agree with you that having a program of recovery, working the steps, sponsorship, and fellowship are all essential to my recovery. I also drank heavily for many years but my favorite was oxy or heroin. Last time I quit I opted for a few Ultram (which barely touched my withdrawls) but it helped get me to today. I'm glad you have a doctor and some out-patient stuff lined up.

I've had a few relapses and, like you, I had trouble pinpointing what caused them. I think it was a combination of things. Old habbits die hard, not just the drug use but the opiated addict lifestyle you know what I mean? I romanced it a lot in the beginning. All my favorite musicians, poets, and writers used H. I thought I was finding myself in that process but I was just killing my mind and body in reality.

Hopefully this will be it for us both. I don't want to go back. I don't know if I could kick again it just gets worse and worse everytime. I wouldn't wish the suffering on ANYONE. As for being here on this forum or being in AA I say do what works for you. NA has been helpful for me at times but really there's more AA meetings around here and they are better organized with more long term sobriety. You have to be careful in NA because some people are still bringing drugs in there and will gladly take you home with them you know what I mean? That hasn't been as much if an issue for me in AA.

Good luck to you my friend keep us posted.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums. There is a Substance abuse section here:

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

But this section of the forum is always very active too.

Natom.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome!

I hope to read lots of posts about your recovery!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!!! You will find lots of support in here, looking forward to hearing about how you are doing. You sound very excited about your plan for sobriety!!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey there, I hear you. Congrats on your 2 days. I have a similar story--I was sober in AA for 10 years until I was prescribed Lortab for pain. I fell in love. That was about a year and a half ago and I have been on and off (mostly on) and I only have a few days too. This happened when I stopped going to meetings. I really did not know much about pain pills when I was prescribed this but I loved how they made me feel and the addictive personality came roaring back. So same thing. I understand. Prayers to you...