Notices

Fresh start

Old 04-22-2004, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Fresh start

Hi All

Right - new start for me. I did post here a few weeks ago before the big crash - but here's a bit about me.

I stopped drinking last July, but in February, started drinking "only a couple at weekends". Well I'm sure you can guess. It's all gone wrong - drinking all week and weekends, same old story, same old JC, same problems.

But in a strange way, I feel really quite positive, as I realise more than ever now that I will never be a "social drinker" or a "controlled drinker". All or nothing......, and I really did prefer the nothing, although I always want the all. Make sense.?? Anyone else feel that way.??
Old 04-22-2004, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Re: Fresh start

Hi JaySee,

I totally understand. It's the most frustrating decision to have to come to - that you really can never drink again. That's where the one day at a time comes in. It really is too overwhelming to think of forever, so just take it slow.

I'm glad you're back and I hope you keep posting.

Love, Anna
Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Yep. All or nothing. 'Tis what we are. And the victory lies in accepting that and using it in recovery. Welcome back JaySee!
Old 04-22-2004, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

Makes sense to me!Welcome back! :thumb
Old 04-22-2004, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back JC. I had to test the waters too and now that I know i cant drink like the normals something has changed. acceptance or something. Anyway hang in and keep coming, we are here for you.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Hello JC

Welcome back, You make perfect sense. I was a greddy little pig when it came to anything that numbed my feelings. Keep that positive attitude you will make it.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome back!

Makes perfect sense! Glad your still trying.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hey JC.... I'm still going through the same thing. And every time I come to the same conclusion, that I cant drink normally, it strenghthens my resolve to staying completely abstinant. I continually have to remind myself that when I'm thinking that one or two wouldnt hurt....
welcome back,
RB
Old 04-22-2004, 09:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY JC,WELCOME.I HEARD THIS IN THE ROOMS OF AA-ONCE A CUCUMBER BECOMES A PICKLE,IT CAN NEVER BE A CUCUMBER AGIAN! ME, I'M A DILL. STAY STRONG ted
Old 04-22-2004, 10:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

I posted this last night on my thread called "I am a child of God" in the fourm Christians in Recovery. Make sense.??

Today I Pray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May I have no illusions about someday becoming a moderate drinker or drug-user after being an obsessive one.
May I muffle any small voice of destructive pride which lies to me, telling me that I can now go back to my former addiction and control it.
This is a program of no-return, and I thank God for it.

Today I Will Remember
My goal must be lifelong abstinence - a day at a time.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally Posted by ted
HEY JC,WELCOME.I HEARD THIS IN THE ROOMS OF AA-ONCE A CUCUMBER BECOMES A PICKLE,IT CAN NEVER BE A CUCUMBER AGIAN! ME, I'M A DILL. STAY STRONG ted
That's excellant Ted, have not heard that! I'm a dill too!! :clap
Old 04-22-2004, 10:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi JC glad you are back!

Keep on keeping on you can do it !

HUGX
Lee

ps love that quote ted !
Old 04-22-2004, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome back JC yes I have to agree, it's a shame we addicts became addicts, before I was a very good little girl and then I became impossible now I am trying to be the best me and that means NO doc's.
Love indie
Old 04-22-2004, 10:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

JC... You sound a lot like me.. Many times I've tried to have only a couple. To that point, there were numerous occasions when I went out and did only have 2-3 beers and called it quits. That didn't last long, the heavy drinking began again, most of my week would be spent hung over... Finally called it quits last Friday for good, and am doing great.... The way I see it, what's the point of having a drink in the first place ? Might as well grab a soda/lime and feel better the next day.....

All the best.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I feel quite overwhelmed by your support people. Thank you. I hope I can offer some encouragement myself soon. I’ll keep on trying, one day at a time, it’s the only way. It is a much nicer place to be.

TorontoGuy28, funny the lime/soda drink. That is what I drank during my six months off, and that’s what I’ll be back on again when I go back to the pub (keeping clear of the pub for a while, I find it helps)

Like the cucumber line too, over here I think we call them Gherkins (pickled)….. know what you mean though.

Beautiful day this morning – I’m off out into the sun for a walk with the dog and hope in my heart for another great day without a drink.

Thanks again all. :throb

JC