Notices

Friend addicted to Ativan, Percoset and others...

Old 04-21-2004, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy Friend addicted to Ativan, Percoset and others...

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this so I'm not sure where to start. I have a friend who I recently found out has a serious problem with meds. Some of which are legally prescribed, some are not..., I'll try to explain as briefly as I can.

I guess the problem started a few years ago when she had some serious infections and her Dad (Who is a Doctor) gave her an injection of Morphene to deal with the pain. Her addiction began with that shot. She would go back for more..., sneak it out of his office..., etc etc. I should also mention she was severly overweight and has recently had gastric bipass surgery and has lost about 170 pounds. (She is now 23) She hasnt really told me too much about her problem because quite honestly I'm not sure she really views it as a problem. She says things like "its the one thing I look forward to now that I dont have an issue with food", when asked what she uses she just said "sometimes you just take what you can get..., what F&*#@'s you up." Although growing up with an alchoholic mother you'd think I might be better equipped to handle this but I just dont know where to start. I am not around her everyday whereas she's at school nearly 3 hours away. I know she has a Psychiatrist who Rx's some of her meds and sees a therapist. Both of whom know nothing about this because she thinks there has just been so many other things to focus on. I've tried to encourage her to tell someone else but she is so resistent. Ive even thought about calling her friends/family but I know she'd freak out and probably not talk to me again. I have only known her for 2 weeks and we met under the pretense of "more than friends." Last night I told her that I really didnt think we could be more than friends until she was clean. She wasnt too happy but I guess flushed the percosets and sedona's(sleeping pills? i might be misspelling) She said if I'm not willing to persue a relationship she cant just be my friend. I realize all this sounds silly since I havent known her long, but we've had a real connection. I want to help but I'm not sure what to do... She wont tell her Doctors or her friends. She thinks she can just overcome on her own because she is so "stubborn." (Her words...)

I know she does take the following that is prescribed.

Wellbutrin - For depression I think..
Prozac - For OCD, I'm told
Ativan - For bad cases of anxiety which shes admitted to abusing.., taking a few here and there when she feels like it.

She also takes without an Rx presently. But I guess she just takes what she can get her hands on.

Percoset
Sevona, Sedona, something like this? The other night we were on the phone she took a percoset and a few hours later one of these.

I should also mention she *did not* want to admit any of this. I just got the impression she was keeping something from me and I got annoyed.., so I pushed and pushed. Now I know... :-\

Please help.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi aquayonex,
My Mom is a prescription anxiety med abuser too. She used to live in another state. She got such a reputation for going from doctor to doctor to get new prescriptions, that she's on some sort of black list there.
There isn't much you can do for your friend. She's got to deal with her addiction herself.
There are things you can do for you, and coming here was a good start. Have you thought about going to Alanon or Naranon meetings? It can be very helpful and comforting to meet people who are in similar situations.
Come join us on the Alanon and Naranon boards.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-21-2004, 10:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

Re: Friend addicted to Ativan, Percoset and others...

Oh yea... I've been to tons of those meetings. I grew up going to Alateen. I was just curious if there was some secret way to help move her along. Like, can I just call her friends and tell them against her wishes? Or calling her family.. Etc etc.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

http://www.na.org/ips/eng/IP7.htm

You might want to print this off and see if she'll read it.
Love, Eddie

P.S. Is it maybe Sonata she's taking? I used to mix that with my narcotics, too.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks. I will. She actually quit a few days ago and had a seizure last night. The doctor said it was because she didnt properly wein herself off the Ativan. She now has to take it again for the next couple weeks in controlled doses to slowly work it out of her system. Does this sound right?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Absolutely. You can't just stop taking drugs like Ativan like you can Percocet and such. It has to be tapered. Hopefully that will be her wake-up call!
—Eddie
Old 04-23-2004, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Yea... She was pretty shaken up by the whole thing. I'm hoping it sinks in..., and I know shes told a couple friends about her problem and as of two days ago I was the only person who knew and we were fighting about her telling other people. She didnt want to.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Maybe she'll try an NA meeting now?
—Eddie