Notices

Three Days Down ... Huge Test Today

Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three Days Down ... Huge Test Today

Hello, everyone.

I've done it ... sort of. Just getting started, I know, but I'm happy to state that I've completed three days without a drink. This ties me for my longest stretch of consecutive days in approximately five years. I had one three-day stretch in 2012 -- the only three days last year that I didn't drink.

I am determined to make today my fourth day in a row, which would be my longest stretch of consecutive days without a drink in approximately 10 years (I went seven days straight to begin the year back in 2001 or 2002 ... would have to refer to my journal). It feels great, but it has been a true challenge.

Anyway ... today is also my toughest test to date, as one of my closest friends (since 2nd grade, no less -- I'm 41 now) is visiting tonight with his children to hang out with mine, and he is an alcoholic like me. We have shared thousands of drinks together through the years. He'll bring great beer. I have said nothing to anyone about my attempts to rid my life of alcohol. My wife has noticed and is more or less floored that I've gone three days. She is not an alcoholic. She will have one or two beers tonight. My buddy will have however many he has. I am determined to stay away from it.

I realize that putting myself in this position might seem foolish to many. Maybe it is. It probably is. This is my personal mission and I don't want to interfere with what others around me wish to do. I realize that standing so close to the fire is not an option for some/many of you. Maybe it's not for me, either -- it never has been before.

Sorry to ramble on about myself, but I know that by stopping what I'm doing and taking the time to create this post, I am increasing my chances for success. I am being selfish.

To everyone who reads this and who has responded to me over the past few days: your words of encouragement have given me the edge that I've needed, so thank you for that.

Wish me luck. And best of luck to you as well.

Thank you.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck. It's your recovery. I could not do that when I quit. I have three months and I still am not sure. Alcohol consumed my life in the most destructive way. Breaking free is a miracle. There are people here who stopped and spent time around drinking and did not indulge. In the end it's just you.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Good luck with tonight! You're lucky to have a wife that supports you.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wish you well in whatever choices you make of your own free will.

Time will tell if your choices are in the best interest of your life.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Do you have a plan ahead of time of how you're gonna deal with situations that will most likely come up? I think a key to success is having a clearly laid out plan ahead of time. Your AV can be pretty manipulative at a time like this and with how much time you have sober.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Congrats on being off to a good start! First week is the hardest and maybe you're facing one of the hardest challenges right off the bat. I feel a little differently than most here-it will be a huge challenge, but I would see the old friend and have a good time and just stay strong. Don't use your past drinking history be an excuse to pick up. You also have a beginning history of NOT drinking together, unless you were pounding them down in elementary school lol
You'll have to have plenty of answers for your AV ready and think things through to the very end. Don't go anywhere near "I'll just have one or two to celebrate being together again"!!!

I feel like we can't let alcohol mess up our life anymore than it already has-life is short, spend time with your loved ones and enjoy them when you can. If you're really going to be sober, you'll have to do it through all kinds of occasions, happy or sad.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you luck, of course, but I wouldn't do it.

Recovery doesn't need to involve 'tests'.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Anna - you'll find yourself tested enough without putting tests in your way.

I did it myself at 6 days - I made it through but it was more good luck than good management - I posted here about how my sobriety needed to be roadtested lol....I was full of it.

the truth was part of me was still fascinated with the dark side, and another part of me really wanted to be seduced back to it - can't be bad if I'm drinking with a mate etc....

Setting myself up in that position was really playing into my addiction's hands.

I never did it again, not until I was sure my recovery was solid.

I think changes are essential AS if we want change - recovery needs to be a priority.

D
Old 01-19-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I agree with Anna and Dee. This is an excuse to drink waiting to happen.

Even if you were to get through tonight without drinking, what is likely to happen is that in a day or two, after you are done congratulating yourself, you will find yourself drinking for absolutely no reason.

Is there a reason to keep your efforts at sobriety from your wife? Could it be because it's easier to drink if no one knows you are trying to quit?

It seems to me that you are stacking the deck against yourself, rather than in favor of your continued sobriety.

If this is really something important to you, you can tell the friend he is welcome, but there will be no drinking at your house this evening. Even if he's an alcoholic, himself, he can drink when he gets home. And I would suggest enlisting your wife's support on this, as well.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I agree with Anna - you'll find yourself tested enough without putting tests in your way.

I did it myself at 6 days - I made it through but it was more good luck than good management - I posted here about how my sobriety needed to be roadtested lol....I was full of it.

the truth was part of me was still fascinated with the dark side, and another part of me really wanted to be seduced back to it - can't be bad if I'm drinking with a mate etc....

Setting myself up in that position was really playing into my addiction's hands.

I never did it again, not until I was sure my recovery was solid.

I think changes are essential AS if we want change - recovery needs to be a priority.

D
I went to a bar a couple of times, didn't have a drop, but was honest with myself and admitted that I was actually living vicariously through my buddies who were drinking.

That's a slippery slope I want no part of.

The seed gets planted, it grows and before you know it I'd be opening myself up to a world of pain.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I didn't tell on myself bc I was afraid to let people down when I would inevitably relapse . But it does help that this time the wife, kids, sponsors and friendships in aa are bhind me. Just my experience - FWIW