Notices

Please help me!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A) Get a doctor's advice.

B) "if I don't drink at night, I can't fall asleep" is your addictive voice talking. So what if you don't sleep? As long as you don't have to go to work the next day, just tough it out. After a few days, you'll be sleeping like a baby.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome G8torGreat

I haven't read 7 weeks to Sobriety either.

With regards to your sleeping problems, they're very common - most of us fall back into a normal routine in a couple of weeks.

If it's worrying you or you find it's negatively impacting your life I think it's best to see a Dr.

I hope you find your AA meeting is what you need

D
Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You want a solution that will work really well for you, but at the same time you want it to be something that you'll like a lot. And you want it to not have too much of what you don't like. Without knowing you suggesting something you might like is going to be guesswork.

You're pouring heavy on the Benedryl, so that may indicate you might like herbal remedies, like Oil of Primrose, or Kudzu extract. There are hypnotists out there that promise to cure alcoholism, and sessions are not costly. There's no end of guaranteed stop drinking immediately without AA books. They never stop coming because they address a huge demand and an always replenishing market, as you can well understand.

There are drug treatments of various types available, as you may have noticed in your research. Yoga, meditation and excersize programs are advertised to cure alcoholism. Just mentioning the tips of the iceberg here.

Even if you are very dedicated, there is no way you could ever finish exploring the alternatives to AA as new ones come around as the months pass by.

Since you are in the mood, why not get started on whatever appeals most to you? I believe it's likely whatever you choose will work to varying degrees, so you can expect improvement over doing nothing at all.

I was sober a while in AA before you were born and it's worked well, but I can certainly understand not wanting to adjust to doing things we don't like very much to do. I sure didn't want to do any of it either, and those I know felt the same way.

It's good to have choices. If you reach a point where you feel you have none, you might then consider doing AA.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you to everyone who has posted so far. I was not expecting such a good reception after stumbling onto this website and the honest opinions have definitely given me food for thought. I am glad that there are sites like this to help those that need it.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi G8tor - sorry I'm late to the party. I'm so happy you found us - I think you'll be helped by being here. I tried on my own to quit, but always felt so alone. When I joined here I realized I had loads of company. It was comforting, and relieved my anxiety.

Congratulations on making this big decision, and for reaching out for help. I wish I had at 29.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:06 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Food for thought is good.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I think the biggest reason it's taken me so long is that I've associated drinking with having fun with friends, as if there are no other ways to have fun on the weekend nights than bars and clubs. I backpack abroad every other year and binge drinking is prevalent among Hostels and everything is focused around alcohol. I've always thought that if I get rid of drinking than I get rid of personal interaction with those of my age. It's been that way for 11 years. I've just realized recently that it has to STOP, but I'm also terrified!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sorry if this is starting to feel like a therapy section, but there was no one else to discuss this with. Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

G8torGreat,

I wish there was a perfect answer to sobriety, but there isn't. You kinda take what works. I, for one, substitute in the Lord's Prayer: for...."lead us not into temptation" for "lead us not into Penn Station (NYC)" ... not my invention, BTW, but of course, the FIRST thing I did was see what was in Penn Station (bar with heavy drinks).

That is my way of dealing with "God" (and the other is knowing I am not "it").

Did that solve everything for me? No way. Nothing does except that you are worth it. Remember that. YOU are worth it!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi G8torGreat, reading your posts sounds scarily familiar,

I'm in a similar situation, the drinking culture and always associating it with having fun. Recently though it was becoming less and less fun and I realised that I didn't like the person I was becoming.

It's a great place to discuss here, you don't have to feel daft, just say it!
Have a good weekend
Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

This site is wonderful and everyone is very supportive, so don't apologize. As for the sleep, I can tell you the same, after a week or so, you'll be sleeping like a log. I went through the same thing when I quit, the first week I just laid there staring at the television, it felt like it anyway, and then by the end of the week, I was out like a light!

Good luck and welcome to SR!!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:16 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

The Secular Connections forum here on Sober Recovery has great discussions that help people quit without involvement in the recovery group movement.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

HI Vancouver!

Thanks ScottyDee. I have picked up alot of wisdom at daytox, fellow alcoholics and AA . I'm just passing on what I've learned.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

And also here of course!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:53 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

No, I don't, but I have to say as a complete newbie, I need HELP!! Any suggestions? Alcohol BTW...
Old 01-12-2013, 11:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR you really av come to the rite place,, please dont rule AA meeting out coz the do work, my addiction is for drugs and i didnt want to be part of narcotics anonymous but i went in to a treatment centre and thats where i learnt alot bout my addiction why dont you have a look on line for treatment centre or detox in your are thats what i did and its kept me clean for 15 months, try and get your self some literature and there is a book called alcoholics anonymous its amazing, If there is anything else i can help you with just let me know, Please give AA meeting a try u will be suprised i promise take care xx